Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:19:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you were on Alan Partridge's side

Started by Blue Jam, June 15, 2018, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Cirque de Clunes. Actually, pretty much all of that episode...

Utter Shit

Putting chocolate mousse on a person IS demented.

Sgt. Duckie

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Those precocious American film-making kids from KMKYWAP were little shits and I actually felt quite sorry for Alan when they made fun of him.

Quite a few of Alan's guests on that show were objectionable: those kids, Keith Hunt, Gary Barker, and worst of all, obviously, Forbes McAllister.

They all made Alan look relatively sympathetic, which was a nice touch; he's such a richly layered character, your opinion of him can change from one moment to the next. He's fundamentally a rude, ignorant, narcissistic, insensitive, small-minded wally, but he's also vulnerable, needy and weirdly innocent. I always love those moments when Alan's carapace of self-confidence crumbles completely and he turns into a frightened little boy.

Speaking of objectionable guests in the Partridge universe, everyone he interviews in MMM is quite nice really. That should, in theory, alter the dynamic and reduce the joke to "Haha, look at Alan making a fool of himself", but Coogan and the Gibbons always make sure that we're never just laughing at him. Well, we are sometimes, but that underlying pathos and vulnerability is still there.

That was a long post, wasn't it, Andy?

DrGreggles

sevendaughters

Owl/bird sanctuaries are good places for dates.

studpuppet

Every time he's put on the spot by Morris in OTH/TDT, but particularly when his wife rises from the dead.

Edited to say this reanimated wife is obviously Carol, who despite having a bit of a hoy about her, then repays his loyalty by going off with the fitness instructor, which makes "I do love her" in this clip all the more heartbreaking.

magval

I have a lot of these, but this one is one I kind of have to argue:

Alan saying his favourite Beatles album is 'The Best of The Beatles'.

The way it comes across to me is that when it comes to music, Alan knows his stuff, and can't be bothered with any pretensions that typically come with discussing a band as revered as the Beatles, who he openly eschews in favour of Wings.

I think it comes across like a moment where you're expected to think Alan is an idiot, out of touch maybe, but recently I've taken it much more positively. I'm not saying he's a savant when it comes to music, but he's definitely not stupid. Just honest. No single Beatles album is as good as a collection of the best tracks of each. I feel the same way about Underworld.

As someone above said, the France episode of KMKYWAP is full of these, but for me the peak is the fashion section.

Blue Jam

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 15, 2018, 04:28:46 PM
Owl/bird sanctuaries are good places for dates.

No worse than zoos really, and they probably smell a lot less.

Blue Jam

Quote from: magval on June 15, 2018, 04:36:09 PM

That's actually a better and less lazy answer than "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Best album of all time? It's not even the best album by The Beatles.

As for him saying in I, Partridge: "I realised that no good music had been made since 1987",  while I can't agree with that, I can sort of relate whenever I hear Radio 1 now. Make that 2007?

Quote from: magval on June 15, 2018, 04:36:09 PM
I have a lot of these, but this one is one I kind of have to argue:

The way it comes across to me is that when it comes to music, Alan knows his stuff, and can't be bothered with any pretensions that typically come with discussing a band as revered as the Beatles, who he openly eschews in favour of Wings.

I think it comes across like a moment where you're expected to think Alan is an idiot, out of touch maybe, but recently I've taken it much more positively. I'm not saying he's a savant when it comes to music, but he's definitely not stupid. Just honest. No single Beatles album is as good as a collection of the best tracks of each. I feel the same way about Underworld.

Yes, the joke is definitely 'Alan is such a clueless dolt, he can't even name an album by the most famous band of all time', but, with your more positive reading in mind, Magval, it's possible that Alan is actually referring to the famous Red and Blue compilations.

Speaking of that scene, Ben generally comes across as quite self-satisfied, but he does seem to genuinely want to chat about music with this middle-aged DJ. He initially assumes that Alan must know his stuff, seeing as he plays records on the radio for a living. The penny only drops when Alan reveals his ignorance of Nirvana and (allegedly) The Beatles.

You're right, though, Alan actually does like music. He's a big fan of ABBA, ELO, Wings, classic Queen, Kate Bush, Steeleye Span and Gary Numan in particular.

It's quite funny how Alan's love of ABBA and ELO was originally intended to signify how naff and out of touch he was, whereas these days, post critical reevaluation, you wouldn't laugh at the mere idea of someone being a fan of theirs.

Operty1

Wasn't Alan referring to the album put out by original fifth Beatle member Pete Best called 'Best Of The Beatles'?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 15, 2018, 05:01:48 PM
He initially assumes that Alan must know his stuff, seeing as he plays records on the radio for a living. The penny only drops when Alan reveals his ignorance of Nirvana and (allegedly) The Beatles.

No, he says to Alan something like "I didnt know you were into music, I mean, Ive heard your show",it was the B&O stereo that made him think Alan knew his stuff, which he then quickly disproved. I'm pretty sure his music taste is supposed to be shit (or at least seemingly naff) with all the bands he namechecks,  especially thinking Wings were the band The Beatles could have been.

Brundle-Fly

The funky fretless bass intro of Music For Chameleons by Gary Numan does make me want to play air guitar too.

Oi cackling studio audience! Leave Alan alone in his reverie.

The Lurker

Not liking cemeteries because they remind him of death

kalowski

Not wanting to invite Chris Rea around to a barbecue.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I've been to Norwich and I have some very strong views on the pedestrianisation of the city centre.

Artemis

His account of the first gathering of The Day Today staff. I related to the nervousness and subsequent daft behaviour.

magval

Further to my post above, I think it's fucking brilliant that Alan has the music from The Return Of The Saint in his car. It's a great piece of music but a really weird niche thing to have and he probably had to go out of his way to get that.

I listen to a lot of game soundtracks and other oddities when I'm driving and really identify with Alan because of this scene. I'm probably more on Alan's side than you're intended to be. Same with Larry David in CYE. I nearly ALWAYS agree with Larry.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 15, 2018, 05:20:24 PM
No, he says to Alan something like "I didnt know you were into music, I mean, Ive heard your show",it was the B&O stereo that made him think Alan knew his stuff, which he then quickly disproved. I'm pretty sure his music taste is supposed to be shit (or at least seemingly naff) with all the bands he namechecks,  especially thinking Wings were the band The Beatles could have been.

Ah yes, I forgot about Ben's "I mean, I've heard your show" line. But as you say, when Alan mentions his smart new stereo, Ben reconsiders and thinks, oh, maybe he's an old guy who secretly knows his stuff after all.

Alan's famous Wings and "Come back, ELO" lines are quite obviously intended as a joke at his expense; the fact that Jeff Lynne and McCartney's solo/Wings output are looked upon more kindly these days doesn't alter that. We get the point.

Quote from: Operty1 on June 15, 2018, 05:17:24 PM
Wasn't Alan referring to the album put out by original fifth Beatle member Pete Best called 'Best Of The Beatles'?

There is absolutely no way that Alan would be aware of such an obscure record.

dr beat

What about the retired copper who Lynne dates? Ok so Alan could have treated her better, but it's still a bit much to threaten to knock his block off on a first meeting. Particularly as he's an upholder of the law and supposedly a committed Christian.

jobotic

He's an arsehole, yeah.

I'm on Alan's side in regards to the fitness instructor. Always with the love underdog.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 15, 2018, 07:21:24 PM
Ah yes, I forgot about Ben's "I mean, I've heard your show" line. But as you say, when Alan mentions his smart new stereo, Ben reconsiders and thinks, oh, maybe he's an old guy who secretly knows his stuff after all.

Alan's famous Wings and "Come back, ELO" lines are quite obviously intended as a joke at his expense; the fact that Jeff Lynne and McCartney's solo/Wings output are looked upon more kindly these days doesn't alter that. We get the point.

There's that bit on one of the IAPs where he states that his punk hour will culminate with a track by Madness. He's definitely intended to be naff and a bit clueless when it comes to music, and films and books. Alan doesn't get culture, it makes him feel uncomfortable. I bet he fucking loves Galway Girl though.

holyzombiejesus

I was glad he took the piss out of Kate Fitzgerald (Needles to say, I took drugs) during that religious programme he guested on.

Can't remember which series it's on, or any other context, but there's a bit on one episode where he's helping a small child and he seems genuinely lovely and kind. He says something like 'go on, my love' in a really sweet voice. I do like it when they show him to be a decent man (occasionally). I remember feeling quite sad at the end of the Christmas special when he said he spent the whole day alone.

the

Quote from: dr beat on June 15, 2018, 09:11:18 PMWhat about the retired copper who Lynne dates? Ok so Alan could have treated her better, but it's still a bit much to threaten to knock his block off on a first meeting. Particularly as he's an upholder of the law and supposedly a committed Christian.
Quote from: jobotic on June 15, 2018, 09:35:20 PMHe's an arsehole, yeah.

I think it's more that he suffers from the poor/clunky characterisation that crops up a lot in IAP2.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 15, 2018, 05:01:48 PMIt's quite funny how Alan's love of ABBA and ELO was originally intended to signify how naff and out of touch he was, whereas these days, post critical reevaluation, you wouldn't laugh at the mere idea of someone being a fan of theirs.

I remember a time when music journalists started asking if ELO's reputation for naffness was a bit unfair, and wondering why a band with such a strong collection of songs had never been considered one of the greats, up there with The Beatles and the Stones... and that this was in the mid-1990's... Not to mention this excellent use of an ELO sample.

Didn't Kate Bush also undergo a critical reappraisal around the same time? I was never a fan but I do remember that one minute Adele Murray from Brookside was worried about her classmates seeing her as "that weirdo with her Kate Bush records", and the next John Lydon was on stage at the NME Awards shouting over at her "Your music is BRILLIANT!". In any case, suggesting that anyone might be naff and clueless for liking Kate Bush would seem very weird these days.

John Lydon is also famously a fan of ABBA... I think with Alan Partridge liking ABBA and Queen the joke isn't that they're naff or that their music is bad (because they're not and it isn't) but that they're both camp and loved by a man who describes himself as "homoskeptic". There's a similar joke in Green Wing (possibly a deleted scene) where Guy goes on about being a big fan of Queen and then tries to backtrack when he is told their singer was gay, because he genuinely had no idea (mind you, I've heard that a lot of real-life Queen fans are a bit like that...).

I digress... This is a fun read, with a couple of Spotify playlists:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/aug/05/alan-partridge-music-taste-surprisingly-great

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2018, 09:46:39 PM
I think with Alan Partridge liking ABBA and Queen the joke isn't that they're naff or that their music is bad (because they're not and it isn't) but that they're both camp and loved by a man who describes himself as "homoskeptic".

I disagree. And despite Abba's undoubted brilliance, I still think it's a bit naff that Alan likes them to the extent he does. In fact, you could argue that there is something a little comical, even tacky, about aspects of Abba, as great as they were. I wasn't aware he liked Queen either.

shh

He had the decency to look sheepish at the unasked-for exposure to a lady's breasts.

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2018, 09:46:39 PM
Didn't Kate Bush also undergo a critical reappraisal around the same time? I was never a fan but I do remember that one minute Adele Murray from Brookside was worried about her classmates seeing her as "that weirdo with her Kate Bush records", and the next John Lydon was on stage at the NME Awards shouting over at her "Your music is BRILLIANT!". In any case, suggesting that anyone might be naff and clueless for liking Kate Bush would seem very weird these days.

I always thought the Kate Bush fanbase was meant to be a bit blokeish anyway - as if being associated with Gilmour & Gabriel somehow gave them permission. The yougov profile isn't a million miles away from Partridge either (although around 200 from Norwich) https://image.ibb.co/nEjSed/katebushyougov.jpg

greencalx

Call me Mr Simple but I thought the ABBA thing in KYMKYWAP was just over-extending the show's catchphrase to a comically absurd degree. (Like the bit where he says "She's come from Waterloo, very important that").