Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:12:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you were on Alan Partridge's side

Started by Blue Jam, June 15, 2018, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 16, 2018, 06:51:47 PM
Alan in the background of that part is one of the best physical bits of acting he's ever done. Confusion to sheepish laughter to a mocking belm in the space of 2 seconds.

One upped by his incomprehensible rivalry with his fellow cashier Pat Bevin in the supermarket.

also this makes me chuckle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBEub-kOb2Q

'Hello I'm Alan Partridge and you must be Paul?'
'It's David'

Alan voice over: 'This was store manager David Paul'

Brundle-Fly

Large Toblerones are fucking amazing it has to be said.

Mobius

Quote from: the on June 16, 2018, 09:26:58 PM
Alan couldn't have prompted Lynn to draw on his back, and Lynn is stood about 10 feet away from him throughout anyway. It's bizarrely careless.

I'd always thought he had got her do it earlier at the school and he hadn't noticed because he wouldn't have put his jacket on until the end of the day.

The Lurker

While I understand that you don't want a clown, the guy from Dante Fires should've allowed him to put a few jokes into his speech.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 16, 2018, 07:31:55 PM
I recall Coogan once saying something along the lines of Alan being someone who is aware of political correctness, he sort of understands it and wants to go along with it He's right-wing and ill-informed, but he's not an out and out bigot.

One of my favourite comments from the commentary for the first series of I'm Alan Partrige is in relation to Bangkok Chickboys; "Alan's not gay but he's afraid that he might be".

Kryton

Do we think Lynn is mostly on Alan's side? I have the feeling she was initially subversive but has learned to manipulate him. But often feels pity and a kind of love, when he's not being a shit.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kryton on June 17, 2018, 12:55:15 AM
Do we think Lynn is mostly on Alan's side? I have the feeling she was initially subversive but has learned to manipulate him. But often feels pity and a kind of love, when he's not being a shit.

I always got the impression that Lynn secretly loved Alan in series 1 of I'm Alan Partridge (a great example of this being the fungal foot powder scene with Jill).  However, I suspect that this was retconned in series 2.

RedRevolver

Whichever episode he kept on telling everyone not to look in *that* drawer.

We all have *that* drawer, surely?

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 17, 2018, 12:47:37 AM
One of my favourite comments from the commentary for the first series of I'm Alan Partrige is in relation to Bangkok Chickboys; "Alan's not gay but he's afraid that he might be".

Just thinking of that scene when he says to another man, "I'd really love to have it off with her," in a very forced, stilted way, and those fantasies he has of himself dancing onstage in leather hotpants.

St_Eddie

Quote from: RedRevolver on June 17, 2018, 01:44:26 AM
Whichever episode he kept on telling everyone not to look in *that* drawer.

We all have *that* drawer, surely?

No word of a lie; my Aunt came over to my flat to tidy up when I was feeling deathly ill.  She opened *that* drawer, said "oh" and promptly closed it again.

Jockice

That woman on reception at the hotel did have a lovely smile.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on June 17, 2018, 12:43:10 PM
That woman on reception at the hotel did have a lovely smile.

And an awful singing voice!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 15, 2018, 04:25:24 PM
The child genius on radio KMKYWAP.

That's one where you can't be on Alan's side, surely? He smacked the kid and then ganged up on him until he pissed himself.

St_Eddie

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 17, 2018, 01:49:34 PM
That's one where you can't be on Alan's side, surely? He smacked the kid and then ganged up on him until he pissed himself.

Aye but to be fair, he was a precocious little shit.

DrGreggles

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 17, 2018, 01:49:34 PM

"You are a little shit."

Too bloody right, Alan.

That time when the studio band does a sudden unexpected flourish of some sort, after Alan thinks they have finished introducing him, throwing him off for a moment as he starts his opening spiel.  "If you're going to surprise me, surprise me in rehearsal, not on the night.  Little bit naughty that," he tells the band, visibly repressing annoyance, while trying to maintain a good-humoured atmosphere.

Jumblegraws

In KMKYWAP, when he hushes the elderly Olympian for being racist. It's a bit of a cheat as he's mainly doing it because he's broadcasting a live primetime show, but I tend to think older racists get given too much leeway because of their age so would have been heartily applauding him in the audience.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 15, 2018, 09:42:50 PM

Can't remember which series it's on, or any other context, but there's a bit on one episode where he's helping a small child and he seems genuinely lovely and kind. He says something like 'go on, my love' in a really sweet voice. I do like it when they show him to be a decent man (occasionally). I remember feeling quite sad at the end of the Christmas special when he said he spent the whole day alone.

The only bit I can think of that resembles this is his conversation with 'Sophie' on MMM regarding the muppet and the bad man.

Kryton

I always felt sorry for Alan when Michael didn't let him in his house. Even though in previous scenes Alan let Michael stay over in a spare room of the house he was building. Instead Alan is left slightly intimidated by the big bloke who leaves and then he has to just eat the cup of beans and sausage on the front, before sheepishly leaving the cup on the step. All the while, Michael is watching him through the door.

It's a very surreal scene, but I felt sorry for him.

Gulftastic

In 'I, Partridge' when he's describing the break up with Carol, and his crying. He seemed so sad and pathetic. I just wanted to give him a cracking hug and take him out for a pint.

Kryton

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on June 17, 2018, 04:03:43 PM

The only bit I can think of that resembles this is his conversation with 'Sophie' on MMM regarding the muppet and the bad man.

It also has the greatest Bill Oddie fantasy ever. Bill Oddie and the RSPCB vs the egg-stealing Russian Oligarchs.

'Bill Oddie goes APESHIT!'

(also Tim Key and Nigel Lindsey barely concealing smiles).

Vodka Margarine

When it dawns on Alan that everyone on the French KMKYWAP episode secretly went to the Folies Bergère the night before because Glenn Ponder deliberately engineered it that way. Horrible bunch of bastards. Sadly, Alan loses the moral highground by angrily sacking Ponder on the spot (which he's later forced to retract) but jesus, that's a dreadful thing to do to someone, even when it's Alan - who isn't so much a bully himself at this point, more a tactless ignorant prat. He simply doesn't deserve that level of psychological torture.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on June 17, 2018, 04:03:43 PM

It's when he's helping the two girls dressed as turtle doves in KMKYule.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteYes, the joke is definitely 'Alan is such a clueless dolt, he can't even name an album by the most famous band of all time'

That isn't the joke, that isn't even nearly the joke. Otherwise that would be completely thrown out by him mentioning Wings.

The point of the question posed to Alan is a conversation starter to compare albums in that kind of male oneupmanship way, yet Alan picks the one kind of album where it isn't possible to make a follow up comment about, with the added pathos of by doing so signalling that he is fundamentally middle brow and not an avid or obsessive music fan or collector (counter to the suggestion in the beginning of the scene). This further establishes the fact that Alan's career is as a chat show host/DJ yet doesn't possess the ability to hold anything other than a completely inane conversation.

Quote from: ferrisIt's a radio 2 listener's answer.

Mmm.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 17, 2018, 08:09:32 PM
It's when he's helping the two girls dressed as turtle doves in KMKYule.

Oh yes.

"You don't have to flap anymore love, it's ok"

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 17, 2018, 09:00:27 PM
That isn't the joke, that isn't even nearly the joke. Otherwise that would be completely thrown out by him mentioning Wings.

The point of the question posed to Alan is a conversation starter to compare albums in that kind of male oneupmanship way, yet Alan picks the one kind of album where it isn't possible to make a follow up comment about, with the added pathos of by doing so signalling that he is fundamentally middle brow and not an avid or obsessive music fan or collector (counter to the suggestion in the beginning of the scene). This further establishes the fact that Alan's career is as a chat show host/DJ yet doesn't possess the ability to hold anything other than a completely inane conversation.

Mmm.

I just took it that he couldn't think of a Beatles album.

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on June 17, 2018, 05:40:55 PM
When it dawns on Alan that everyone on the French KMKYWAP episode secretly went to the Folies Bergère the night before because Glenn Ponder deliberately engineered it that way. Horrible bunch of bastards. Sadly, Alan loses the moral highground by angrily sacking Ponder on the spot (which he's later forced to retract) but jesus, that's a dreadful thing to do to someone, even when it's Alan - who isn't so much a bully himself at this point, more a tactless ignorant prat. He simply doesn't deserve that level of psychological torture.

Yes, that whole episode is interesting in that we are obviously meant to take against Alan's xenophobia (no French) and general English arrogance, and yet all the guests, with perhaps the exception of the chef, are twats.

Dr Rock

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on June 18, 2018, 05:34:41 PM
I just took it that he couldn't think of a Beatles album.

Compared to the other guy who's never heard of Wings? Alan 1, Sarcy Hotel Fella nil.