Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:28:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you were on Alan Partridge's side

Started by Blue Jam, June 15, 2018, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

The people at the Norfolk Bravery Awards were ruddy bloody brave.

Neville Chamberlain

The whole Alan Partridge as a zombie, mainly because that;s the sort of stupid thing I'd try and do.

kalowski

The Dante's fire scenario. Think about it. He'd lost nearly a pint of blood but rather than quit he soldiered on because "some of these people have come from Stoke."

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I thought he dealt with the Joe Beesley situation with remarkable maturity and level-headedness. And the man's act was indeed very poor.

Blue Jam

Some sicko probably would buy a video of a helicopter in giant wet underpants. Rule 34 and all that.

Ferris

Mobius

When he was shopping in Tandy's and thought that the hifi stereo he was inspecting had a 'very nice action'

I agree that it was a very nice action.

yesitsme

Of course The Best of the Beatles is his favourite Beatles album.  Why wouldn't it be?  They wouldn't allow it to be called The Best Of.. if it wasn't.

Sure, you can sit down and listen to each and every album from start to finish and decide on a favourite but why would you when someone else has done all the admin for you?

The Best of The Beatles is EXACTLY the album OAP would like best.

It's been touched on a few times but the final day in the Travel Tavern.

Despite being subjected to partially-wanted unfulfilled sexual propositions, having the piss taken out of him by hotel staff (basically his employees), having his Christmas dinner booked months in advance, being given sanitary bags every day along with all the other frustrations of living in a sordid grief hole he's still good enough to throw a going away party.

He's put on food and invited everyone who works there plus a bloke who laughs at lift noises and what does he get for it?

Shouted at by Michael, laughed at by Ben and Sophie and slapped across the face by Susan.

And he still tells Lynn that he thought it went 'quite well'.

How about the bit in the movie where he thinks he might die and he says 'tell my kids I love them'.

Poor Alan.

Plus his solo 'Gold Finger' walk by the side of the dual carriageway.  A long walk to X simply because he's got time to fill and nothing to fill it with.

Who hasn't done that?

StuglePStugleton

I'd have reacted the same with a gobful of English Mustard.

Oddly French Mustard...I'm gonna need a bigger spoon.

Dr Rock

Quote from: yesitsme on June 28, 2018, 12:22:21 PM
Of course The Best of the Beatles is his favourite Beatles album.  Why wouldn't it be?  They wouldn't allow it to be called The Best Of.. if it wasn't.

There's never been a Beatles compilation released called 'The Best Of The Beatles.'

(Barring some obscure Belgian/unofficial record that possibly exists)

StuglePStugleton

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 30, 2018, 11:56:01 PM
There's never been a Beatles compilation released called 'The Best Of The Beatles.'

Odd that isn't it?

Although (I may be wrong but) aren't the Red and Blue albums called "The Best of The Beatles 1963-1966", and "1967-1970"?

Like I say could be wrong

Dr Rock

Quote from: StuglePStugleton on July 01, 2018, 12:00:02 AM
Odd that isn't it?

Although (I may be wrong but) aren't the Red and Blue albums called "The Best of The Beatles 1963-1966", and "1967-1970"?

Like I say could be wrong

Just called 'The Beatles/1963-1966' and "The Beatles/1967-1970' but commonly referred to as the Red one or Blue one.

StuglePStugleton

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 01, 2018, 12:04:45 AM
Just called 'The Beatles 1963-1966' and "The Beatles 1967-1970'.

Like I said, could be wrong. Haha. I have those albums somewhere too! My bad!

QDRPHNC

Dr Rock

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 01, 2018, 12:07:00 AM
Might be overthinking this one.

No, I think it's part of the joke that Alan picks an album that doesn't exist.

StuglePStugleton

petril

it was Pete Best's first album after being sacked. doubt they meant it, but I find it funnier knowing he's gone for a bland, conversation killer of an album to mention, and it's by a different artist

Dr Rock

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 01, 2018, 12:09:56 AM
it was Pete Best's first album after being sacked

I know, which is why I chose my words carefully.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 01, 2018, 12:08:23 AM
No, I think it's part of the joke that Alan picks an album that doesn't exist.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I always just figured that it marked Alan as one whose tastes in music are mainstream and facile, despite being a djock. "The Best of the Beatles" being the least insightful answer possible to the question.

Dr Rock

That's the other part of the joke. The joke has two parts.

QDRPHNC

Alright. Nyeeah... I don't know. Anyway.

Dr Rock

Maybe it's a three part joke, because it is funny that Alan is revealed to have little knowledge of the Beatles despite being a DJ, as is happy to pick a 'best of', as surely that will contain their best material. The second part of the joke is that he picks an album that doesn't exist.  And further humour is extracted from us the viewer knowing he's done both those things, which are not to his credit, while thinking he's provided a perfectly reasonable answer, so we laugh at his foolish confidence.

There may be a fourth part, that's all i can think of though. Probably when he mentions Wings, the joke gains an extra layer, retrospectively. He's not a complete div about pop music that it seemed.

Small Man Big Horse

There's a dodgy bootleg here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Beatles-1962-64-Disc-Set/dp/B014R4LE22

QDRPHNC

I prefer the most straightforward interpretations: Naming the Best of the Beatles shows Alan's lack of insight or interest in his own field, and thinking Wings are the "band the Beatles could have been" shows a lack of taste, within the reality of the show at least.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 01, 2018, 01:45:14 AM
I prefer the most straightforward interpretations: Naming the Best of the Beatles shows Alan's lack of insight or interest in his own field, and thinking Wings are the "band the Beatles could have been" shows a lack of taste, within the reality of the show at least.

Bang on the money.

Shaky

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 01, 2018, 01:45:14 AM

Yeah, it's definitely this. He likes Wings because they were more comfortably MOR than McCartney's previous band and it ties in with the notion that Alan has/had no genuine interest in music until he reached his late teens/early 20's. He was there when The Beatles were around but somehow they didn't make any impact on him.

As Dr Rock says, those are also parts of the joke. It is ABSOLUTELY a major part of the overall joke that Alan names an album that does not exist. If you don't get that bit, that's fine, other parts are available.

neveragain

Bad Ambassador

I cannot believe an extremely simple joke has been this carefully dissected, only to reveal that it's an extremely simple joke.