Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Robbie Williams

Started by popcorn, June 15, 2018, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Say what you like about him, he's such a great entertainer, isn't he?

He's such a great entertainer, isn't he?

But isn't he such a great entertainer?

he's such a great entertainer

isn't he

Custard

DrGreggles

Saw him at Glastonbury in the late 90s and he wasn't dreadful.
I was on drugs at the time though.

the ouch cube

Initially, you might think he was too easy a target. So what if he's crap. You may as well say you hate wasps. Big wow, tell us something we don't know.

Then you consider the matter more carefully, and realise he really is a piece of fucking work. Just nauseating and appalling in every single possible way.

popcorn

You might all know the story of how Angels was co-written by an unknown Irish singer-songwriter, who only ended up getting paid £7k. He tells the story in this recent podcast (with lots of excerpts of Robbie's side of things too): https://soundcloud.com/user-92363961/ispod-storytime-the-anatomy-of-angels

Sad story with some amazing turns, such as the time the the chap hitch-hiked to Robbie Williams's mum's house (?) and was turned away. Somehow the bit I found most damning is when Robbie mentions he co-wrote Old Before I Die with "some Latino guy he can't remember the name of", creating the impression he travels the world exploiting struggling songwriters and leaving them in the dust.

Hey at least he's not Gary Barlow.

jake thunder

He's a very weak singer. Strains hard to hit those notes. Probably done thousands of hours of lessons and practice but still a very, very weak singer.
Doubt he even likes music very much.
Epitomises everything wrong with England.

10/10

Phil_A

Always found his lyrics absolutely excruciating, properly rotten back-of-a-fag-packet doggerel . I've probably gone on about my burning hatred of Candy on here before so I won't go into that again.

No Regrets is a pretty good tune though, always tickles me that it's got Neil Hannon on backing vocals.

jobotic

Quote from: popcorn on June 15, 2018, 06:40:59 PM
You might all know the story of how Angels was co-written by an unknown Irish singer-songwriter, who only ended up getting paid £7k. He tells the story in this recent podcast (with lots of excerpts of Robbie's side of things too): https://soundcloud.com/user-92363961/ispod-storytime-the-anatomy-of-angels

Sad story with some amazing turns, such as the time the the chap hitch-hiked to Robbie Williams's mum's house (?) and was turned away. Somehow the bit I found most damning is when Robbie mentions he co-wrote Old Before I Die with "some Latino guy he can't remember the name of", creating the impression he travels the world exploiting struggling songwriters and leaving them in the dust.

No sympathy. After all, this cunt co-wrote Angels. He should give us the seven grand.

The Plunger

Rudebox is a good album though, a couple of mental covers and another few cracking tracks.

holyzombiejesus

He's still only the 4th worst in Take That. Some achievement to have a band containing three bigger cunts than Williams. I should be grateful to him really; his support netted Port Vale shitloads of money. I remember going to matches in the mid nineties and there'd be so many teenage girls turning up, buying shirts and then fucking off before the game started. He gave us 250k when we were struggling financially and, as cliched as it may be, he's done some really great work and raised shitloads for the Donna Louise trust, a hospice in S-o-T. I don't like his wanky music (although didn't mind Candy too much) or his cunty persona but outside of that he doesn't seem to be too terrible a person and I don't have to listen to his shit music if I don't want to. And he's still not as bad as Public Service Broadcasting.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 15, 2018, 09:52:07 PM
He's still only the 4th worst in Take That. Some achievement to have a band containing three bigger cunts than Williams. I should be grateful to him really; his support netted Port Vale shitloads of money. I remember going to matches in the mid nineties and there'd be so many teenage girls turning up, buying shirts and then fucking off before the game started. He gave us 250k when we were struggling financially and, as cliched as it may be, he's done some really great work and raised shitloads for the Donna Louise trust, a hospice in S-o-T. I don't like his wanky music (although didn't mind Candy too much) or his cunty persona but outside of that he doesn't seem to be too terrible a person and I don't have to listen to his shit music if I don't want to. And he's still not as bad as Public Service Broadcasting.

FFS! This is like the dead Peter Stringfellow thread, you're not sticking to the remit of this thread.

He is not a fully rounded person. He has to be a total cunt. Come on, people!

the

Has yet to bring pleasure to anyone whose mental landscape doesn't resemble a retail park

spamwangler

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: the on June 15, 2018, 10:08:26 PM
Has yet to bring pleasure to anyone whose mental landscape doesn't resemble a retail park

I love retail parks, mental or otherwise.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I genuinely live in fear of him getting some kind of Phil Collins style critical rehabilitation.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 16, 2018, 12:38:56 AM
I love retail parks, mental or otherwise.

WHAAAAAAT

That is more mental tnak liking Williams.

Butchers Blind

One of my worst experiences is seeing a middle aged woman masturbating while listening to Robbie Williams.

One day I will tell the full story.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 16, 2018, 12:55:42 AM
One of my worst experiences is seeing a middle aged woman masturbating while listening to Robbie Williams.

Is today the day?

Kane Jones

A gurning simpleton. Does a half-decent impression of someone who can sing. Music for people who like sport.

Uncle TechTip

What about that time he grew a Kitson-style beard and started advocating for UFOs. I guess that was another one of his "japes".

Bhazor

Party like a Russian. Unfathomable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdYGQ7B0Vew

But some nice lady bums in the video.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 16, 2018, 01:11:35 AM
A gurning simpleton. Does a half-decent impression of someone who can sing. Music for people who like sport.

Hey.... I like sport. (The sport of hunting and killing Robbie Williams, that is. I definitely wouldn't have his music as a hunting fanfare however. I'd probably have a fake recording of his gurgling screams as I chase him through the fields and set some trained maneating wild boar on him).

Shaky

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 16, 2018, 12:55:42 AM

Out with it now, please. The story.

Twit 2

I think he's quite funny and likeable in interviews. His music is just the worst though, awful to the core.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on June 16, 2018, 01:23:45 AM
Hey.... I like sport. (The sport of hunting and killing Robbie Williams, that is. I definitely wouldn't have his music as a hunting fanfare however. I'd probably have a fake recording of his gurgling screams as I chase him through the fields and set some trained maneating wild boar on him).

Alright, Bill Hicks.

PaulTMA

Don't mind him these days.  Doesn't have any particularly good songs though.  Trippin' was alright.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 16, 2018, 12:54:30 AM
WHAAAAAAT

That is more mental tnak liking Williams.

Here in Stoke you've only got the choice of one or the other as far as entertainment goes.