Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:33:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Jerry Seinfeld kind of an arsehole?

Started by Artemis, June 15, 2018, 07:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I remember seeing a video of Seinfeld walking down the street minding his own business when he gets stopped by one of those TMZ fucks, sticking a camera in his face and asking him stupid questions, as they are wont to do. Seinfeld took it in his stride and then took the video camera off the paparazzi fella and started filming him with it, giving a commentary on all the food stains on his clothes. It did make me warm to him.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 16, 2018, 07:20:14 AM
Jerry made an appearance on Between Two Ferns just the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp25FOn37nA

This is fantastic. 'Oh hey Wayne, good to see you' floored me.

Z

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 16, 2018, 01:35:26 AM
The thing is, everyone is kind of an arsehole, even Mother Teresa (seriously, look it up).
No "kind of" there, she was a colossal cunt. I even know a few extremely catholic relatives who worked with charities where she visited and even back in the 90s they said they were astounded by how awful her attitudes were towards the people they were trying to help.

Seinfeld's a huge asshole but I don't think he's ever really sold himself as a nice guy, has he? If anything he seems to overplay it whenever I see him in anything.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Z on June 16, 2018, 11:40:04 PM
Seinfeld's a huge asshole but I don't think he's ever really sold himself as a nice guy, has he? If anything he seems to overplay it whenever I see him in anything.

Nothing profound, but the fact we put these entertainers on pedestals and then judge them because they are not perfect specimens of humanity that configures with ones particular moral/political compass somewhat makes us all arseholes too?

I thought his 'gay French king' gag was a funny observation but he didn't really need the 'gay' epithet, not because it was dull stereotyping but surprisingly clunky considering his mathematic approach to joke structure.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Z on June 16, 2018, 11:40:04 PM
No "kind of" there, she was a colossal cunt. I even know a few extremely catholic relatives who worked with charities where she visited and even back in the 90s they said they were astounded by how awful her attitudes were towards the people they were trying to help.

Yeah, to be honest, I kinda underplayed it with the whole "kind of an arsehole" thing.  The woman was at best, a misguided, deranged fool and at worst, a full-on raging fucking psychopath.

Twed

Dr Rock

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 17, 2018, 12:26:22 AM

I thought his 'gay French king' gag was a funny observation but he didn't really need the 'gay' epithet, not because it was dull stereotyping but surprisingly clunky considering his mathematic approach to joke structure.

I think it could've worked fine without the 'French' too. We can all imagine the way a lazy King might gesticulate, and he's doing the motion already. 'King' on its own is arguably funnier, to me anyway.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 16, 2018, 02:09:47 PM
Arsehole or not, he'll always be a million times more deserving of any comedy fan's respect than so called 'nice guys' like Corden or Russell Howard.

Not a nice guy.

Twed

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 16, 2018, 02:09:47 PM
Arsehole or not, he'll always be a million times more deserving of any comedy fan's respect than so called 'nice guys' like Corden or Russell Howard.

Not a nice guy.

Jockice

Apparently Corden is one of the nicest people in showbusiness. At least according to the person who defriended me on Facebook for putting a gag on there about those car insurance adverts. As far as I know my former friend (I knew him in real life too) has never actually met Corden but it's strange to think that he has such an emotional hold over someone.

Kelvin

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 17, 2018, 05:35:55 PM
Not a nice guy.

What's Howard done? I'm not a fan, but I've never heard any stories about him.

Quote from: Kelvin on June 16, 2018, 04:26:43 AM
Yeah, I think it's particularly harsh on King, considering he's only asking the question rhetorically. It's obvious from the question that King did know Seinfeld ended the show himself.

King is definitely noted for his keen awareness and extensive preparation for interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_p-Qj5YAu0

Petey Pate

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on June 15, 2018, 08:28:36 PMPlus he moaned about political correctness and refused to play in colleges because of it.

This was discussed on a recent episode of Chapo Trap House. Apparently, the truth is that Seinfeld was trying out new material which none of the college students found funny, and somehow spun this into a 'today's kids are too sensitive' situation.

Dannyhood91

Ive never watched a Seinfeld comedy gig all the way through but I love the sitcom as one of the wittiest things ever broadcast. I think the man can be a bit disagreeable and yeah maybe a bit of a dick to be honest.

That being said I totally get why he's being a dick in this clip because I hate people I don't know hugging me.
https://youtu.be/iX3_L8z2uw4

Steven

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on June 18, 2018, 04:33:28 PM
I hate people I don't know hugging me.

Well then, I'm certainly not going to attend any of your CaB meets.

QDRPHNC

Boring answer - probably yes, a bit, but that's also part of his charm.

petril

he might be but I've loved his work incredibly. Pirated everything of his I could get my hands on, naturally. You've got to separate the art from the artist, haven't you?

imitationleather

Quote from: petrilTanaka on June 19, 2018, 12:54:02 AM
he might be but I've loved his work incredibly. Pirated everything of his I could get my hands on, naturally. You've got to separate the art from the artist, haven't you?

Tell that to the Schweinstein thread.

Steven

Quote from: petrilTanaka on June 19, 2018, 12:54:02 AM
You've got to separate the art from the artist, haven't you?

The Nazis certainly did.

phes

I think if you believe Seinfeld is an arsehole you're probably holding someone you barely know to stupidly high standards, and possibly the arsehole in this equation

Enrico Palazzo

He often says "unless you're a comedian you won't understand why that's funny" but apart from that he's fine.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 17, 2018, 04:44:07 AM
I think it could've worked fine without the 'French' too. We can all imagine the way a lazy King might gesticulate, and he's doing the motion already. 'King' on its own is arguably funnier, to me anyway.

maybe he could've said "larry king"...