Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:25:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Merlin

Started by The Poison Dwarf, June 15, 2018, 10:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought that I would make an account to talk about the hottest show on TV right now: the 2008 fantasy adventure series Merlin.

I'm working my way through it now, and despite the production values leaving something to be desired, the scatological humor and the two-parter where Uther fucks a troll, I'm enjoying it.

There's a surprising bit of depth to the characters, with most of them having decent motivations for their actions (Uther killed my dad, Uther Killed my Mum, Uther killed my dog) and carrying their fair share of flaws. Merlin for example: trying to adhere to his own destiny, making difficult choices or generally just cocking up and getting a few people killed, but learning and growing from said cock ups is a nice bit of development.

Iunno, it's pretty fun.

Norton Canes

Only watched two or three episodes but quite enjoyed them and have meant to do a 'thon at some point. What always impressed me was that while Doctor Who was descending into Infrequent Production Hell, they managed to make the five series, each of thirteen episodes, in as many years. And all, it seems, with the same writer! Amazing what you can get done when you're not distracted. 

Funcrusher

I caught the end of the last episode and it was the gayest telly ever.

St_Eddie

I haven't watched this version of Merlin but I love the 1998 mini-series starring Sam Neill as Merlin.  It's proper great, it is.

Kelvin

I watched a few of the series. The first was just televisual wallpaper, but I remember thinking the 3rd series was really good, before settling on being passably entertaining for the remaining series.

In absolute honesty, though, the main reason I watched the show was because I had such a stupid crush on Bradley James, who played Arthur.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

This programe can kiss my ass.

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 15, 2018, 11:19:48 PM
Only watched two or three episodes but quite enjoyed them and have meant to do a 'thon at some point. What always impressed me was that while Doctor Who was descending into Infrequent Production Hell, they managed to make the five series, each of thirteen episodes, in as many years. And all, it seems, with the same writer! Amazing what you can get done when you're not distracted.
Yeah, and they actually keep a consistent story and tie up most of the plot threads by the series end. Which is nice.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 16, 2018, 04:32:17 AM
I haven't watched this version of Merlin but I love the 1998 mini-series starring Sam Neill as Merlin.  It's proper great, it is.

I may give that a watch soon as well. There's so much media to consume though, I've got a vast backlog of things to watch/read and such little time to do it all.

I do love me some Sam Neill though

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Poison Dwarf on June 17, 2018, 01:18:33 AM
I may give that a watch soon as well. There's so much media to consume though, I've got a vast backlog of things to watch/read and such little time to do it all.

I do love me some Sam Neill though

If I may encourage you to tip the balance in favour of moving it up on the list of things to watch; it also features Rutger Hauer.  Seriously, watch it.  It's bloody marvelous.

Steven

I'm Welsh so I know the Merlin story origin is from a Welsh character called Myrddin (the double Ds - fnar - are pronounced as a V) which has the same origin as the name Marvin. So I think King Arthur should always consult a dour bloke called Marvin about things, which would literally take the spell off a bit. "Here I am, cane the size of a planet.."