Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Paladins (F2P Overwatch killer?)

Started by The Boston Crab, June 16, 2018, 02:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
All right, clickbait thread title aside, this is a damn good fun game and it deserves more attention. It's a 5v5 first person 'hero shooter' and it's free to play on all formats (with a caveat for Switch, I'll explain in a minute but F2P is coming very soon.)

I assumed from screenshots and hearsay it was a shit Overwatch rip-off probably with mobile quality assets and stuff, and dumbed down gameplay. It's also F2P which made me think it'd be P2W and all the usual downsides and so on and so on. It's got a card deck system, blah blah blah. I thought it would be total shit, and had no intention of playing it.

I was wrong.

I never really got into Overwatch very much because I skipped the first year and by the time I got round to it, I felt way behind. I also never really found my main. I had the odd bit of joy with this or that character across ten hours or so and just put it back down. To be honest, I found it a bit boring compared to Titanfall 2 which I think is my favourite FPS ever.

I saw Paladins appear on the Switch eShop for about twenty quid which is actually for the Founders' Pack, which unlocks all the characters (there are shit loads to unlock through the F2P version) and on Switch, it effectively gives 'early access' because the free version is coming a bit later in summer.

Anyway, Fortnite got all the headlines, and I really like that too, but this is a much better game. To me, it plays just as well as Overwatch, and in fact I prefer it. It may be that I've found a few characters I really like compared to Overwatch but in any case, the range of characters is ace and I like the maps. They're starting to take shape in my mind. On the other hand, Overwatch has more style and panache and stuff like Play of the Game seems better presented and edited.

The card perk stuff seems like bollocks and the fact you can buy boosters throughout each match with the coins you acquire for dealing damage and healing and capturing the flag and all that, well, it sounds wank but it actually means you can play the same hero in a markedly different way from the same guy with a different loadout. You can also adapt your build somewhat depending on which items you buy throughout the round. If you can't be frigged with that, you can just turn on auto-buy which adds little perks for you whenever you respawn or return to the spawn hub.

I'm telling you, this is a great FPS, the best on the Switch, it runs really well, it'll be free in a few weeks hopefully but to me, it's well worth the twenty quid now. Loving this game.

Hecate

I remember playing this in 2016 while taking a break from overwatch.
It didn't hold my attention too long (Just tired of multiplayer shooty bangs nowadays really, played too many of them. Overwatch dragged me back for a little while) but it was a great little game. I thought people were unnecessarily harsh on it at the time.

Like you say, there were a few overwatch clones coming out around the time and free to play didn't have a great reputation, a lot of folk dismissed the game without giving it a chance.

I suspect when the free version comes out on Switch, it'll give it a new lease of life on other formats, too. Cross-play works great. Also, without just wanking on about the Switch, if it can run this it can bloody well run Overwatch.

Which I would also happily get.

The F2P version is now out on Switch.

Obviously, the Founder's Pack unlocks all the characters so you'll only have a limited selection but it's a brilliant game. I prefer it to Overwatch, defo.

Anyone who has overlooked this in favour of Fortnite or something, you are massively missing out. It's the best MP game I've played on the Switch this year. Seems like a healthy player base, massive range of characters and pretty much everyone I've tried out has been fun. Absolutely love the new character, Koga, who is basically Shredder with an Uzi.

You gotta try this.

Jobey

What's the difference between paid and free versions?

There is no paid version, in fact. If you bought the Founder's Pack, that gave you early access (about a month) before the game was released. It also unlocked all the characters so you don't need to buy them with the in-game currency. Seems you make loads and loads of gold though so it's supposedly not too bad to unlock them. If you get the Battle Pass, that will also generate loads of gold to unlock them faster.

All characters are unlocked on all platforms from today until Sunday, if you want to try out the full variety of this great game.