Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:03:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus

Started by The Boston Crab, June 17, 2018, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I got this for about eight quid on the US Switch eShop, having eyed it up for a few while and it's absolutely superb. I played an arcade version (not exactly the same game but similar) with three mates at Arcade Club a couple of months back and it was one of the most fun things we played there. Laughing and effing and jeffing and getting well into it. So much fun, amazing music and chaotic action. I thought this might be a multiplayer only thing so didn't want to stump up twenty five quid or whatever but at this sale price I thought it's worth a punt.

It is insanely good fun. I fully expect madhair60 likes it already, I can well imagine him raving about it alongside a dreadful NES platformer based on The Littlest Hobo. He's a man of particular tastes and I respect him for that in this hypothetical world of a tangent. It's the kind of thing most would overlook, feeling that the format must be a bit stale by now. Believe me, if this game came out now, it would be like shit off a shovel and people would be laughing at God of War and Breath of the Wild and all that stuff. They'd be like PAC-MAN CE2+ is the game of the year. I know there will be the odd wanker saying that anyway but I hope my spirit and intention comes through.

If in doubt, get a life.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on June 17, 2018, 12:04:13 PM
Pacman is shit.

leave CaB.

However, Pac-Man CE DX is shit because it doesn't play anything like Pac-Man. Pac-Man CE, non-DX, is fine. But if I want to play Pac-Man I'll just play Ms Pac-Man, because it actually plays like Pac-Man. Bye.

I love how Pac-Man doesn't give a solitary fuck and his solution to everything is eat it. Eats his troubles away. WAKA WAKA WAKA WHAT DIVORCE WAKA WAKA WAKA WHY GO OUT

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Solid game, but only the original, a bit like Tetris, any attempt to improve it is doomed to fail.

Z

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 17, 2018, 07:59:19 PM
Solid game, but only the original, a bit like Tetris, any attempt to improve it is doomed to fail.
Isn't it a commonly held opinion that Ms Pac Man is the better game though?

madhair60

Quote from: Z on June 17, 2018, 09:01:23 PM
Isn't it a commonly held opinion that Ms Pac Man is the better game though?

Commonly held, and correct.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ms Pacman is a VR open world character building RPG, so it's difficult to compare like with like.

Gotta say this takes an atomic dump on any Pac game I ever played. It's given me a migraine and I don't even get them. Awesome intensity.

Hecate

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 17, 2018, 09:49:28 PM
Gotta say this takes an atomic dump on any Pac game I ever played.

Really? I'd only ever heard lukewarm things about it so skipped that one.
have you played any of the other newer pac man games or are you just comparing it to the old games?

Championship Edition DX is good
and Pac-Man 256 is a surprisingly fun stab at making a roguelite pacman where you run up an endless maze. The procedural generation sometimes doesn't feel fair when you're score chasing, but skill trumps luck, it rarely feels like death wasn't your fault once you've played for a while and found your bearings. It's reeeally addictive.

Full disclosure, I played Pac-Man in the arcade and on the Atari in about 1984 then skip forward to 2018 playing the head to head battle version in the arcade and then this one. I never played the previous CE. That 256 sounds ace, by the way. I have little frame of reference beyond the original game but I'm really enjoying this. I had a bit of 2P with my mate before and it's probably the most fun mode, so I'm looking forward to getting it out next time we have people over. Everyone knows the basic concept of Pac-Man and the extra trimmings are very straightforward to understand. I wish it had a 4P Mode like whatever the version was I played in the arcade recently.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 17, 2018, 09:40:27 AM...I thought this might be a multiplayer only thing so didn't want to stump up twenty five quid or whatever but at this sale price I thought it's worth a punt....

Very much like it - a little surprised that you got the idea it was multiplayer only.

It's a quite a bit cheaper than what you suggest – £16 or so – although that's more expensive than other platforms.

Bazooka

Loved the first one, used to play it for hours, fucking visual and audio overload.

boki