Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you were on Larry David’s side

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, June 17, 2018, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Love the partridge thread, so the same question, but for Larry David.

I'll kick off...no way am I jumping off a ski lift, that woman was fucking nuts.

The Lion King

more often than not, especially when it's someone flying off the handle at him. I mean I get the idea that he is supposed to be hard work but it wasn't until seeing a few interviews after watching the first series that I realised he wasn't really there to be sympathised with. I'll find some specific examples later but always felt like a load of entitled LA types getting unnecessarily wound up at him for something minor.

NoSleep

I'm on Larry's side most of the time; I've always seen him as misunderstood. People like Funkhouser and Cheryl are just hard work to be around.

Kelvin

Curb's an odd show, anyway, because a lot of the time, the conflict arises from a fairly extreme and unrealistic reaction to something fairly ordinary. So him calling someone a cunt and offending everyone there might be seen as a faux pas on Larry's side if it wasn't for the utterly disproportionate response. A lot of the time, you end up siding with him, not so much because he did nothing wrong, but because people were such arseholes about it.   

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I can't recall a single episode in which I thought Larry was in the wrong.

One episode has him buy a sewing machine for a flamboyant little boy's birthday. The kid is overjoyed with it, but all the adults fly off the handle - getting clearly homophobic about the whole thing.

bgmnts

The only time I ever thought Larry was 'wrong' is when he told the barber something along the lines of its okay that his daughter had a miscarriage because she already has so many kids.

Replies From View

Season 9 had a lot of irrational behaviour where he was just being a dick (all the business with the lesbian hairdresser, for example - deciding to let the door swing on her and the lengthy discussion that followed, and ending up her house saying that she should be the husband not the wife), but by and large I'm mostly sympathetic to Larry's position.  Like when he was yelling at the woman who was letting her dog shit on his lawn every day - he was right when he said "without a bag, the dog is incomplete".

Also "BALD ASSHOLE" is a hate crime.  And people who choose to shave their heads are not part of the bald community and they don't know what it is like to be bald.

DrGreggles

I tend to be on Larry's side initially, but he doesn't tend to argue his case very well.
Although, if he did, it probably wouldn't be as funny.

up_the_hampipe

Isn't the point of the show that you see things from Larry's perspective?

St_Eddie

Like most people here, I'm almost always on the side of Larry.  My Dad and I love Curb Your Enthusiasm but my Mum can't stand it because of "that horrid little man".  I explained to her that I'd say a lot of the things that Larry does, if only I were more confident and less afraid of offending people.  She replied "well, thank goodness you're not confident".  Cheers, Mum.

Having said that, there were a few times in the last season where I actually did find Larry to be in the wrong and a bit of unlikeable prick.  The scene on the bus stands out in particular.  I was in agreement with my Mum's view on Larry during that scene.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on June 17, 2018, 10:30:20 AM
I'm on Larry's side most of the time; I've always seen him as misunderstood. People like Funkhouser and Cheryl are just hard work to be around.

The Funkman is great, what on earth are you saying.

Malcy

kekse

the aforementioned overreaction to calling a guy a cunt

shaq's doctor not taking a minute to check him out

anything to do with Cheryl's arsehole family

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Malcy on June 17, 2018, 02:27:54 PM
Every single time.

Yes, this thread should ask 'Times you weren't on Larry's side'.

For me, probably, his cowardly attitude to Loretta's cancer prognosis. Not his finest hour but I suppose David is tapping into that selfish side in many of us. Brutally honest.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Would rather do Times you were not on Larry David's side:

Eating Pistachios while lazily attempting a telephone apology for insulting that Japanese bloke's family

He's a blithe, thoughtless, entitled and lazy shit frequently, he is selfish and rarely acts considerately. Though yeah - the show's dynamic is reliant on caricatures of everyday situations, from the point of view of the author, which largely portrays the author as a confused victim of social ritual and his family, friends and acquaintances as humourless, vindictive, neurotic, grudge-keepers. I like the general idea which is that some situations make you feel like everyone else understands the rules except you.

It's really just American One Foot In The Grave. Victor Meldrew manages to be wrong as well as right, a lot.

Sebastian Cobb

Mrs Warboise is better than Funkhouser, Lewis and Danson put together.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 17, 2018, 09:10:36 PM
It's really just American One Foot In The Grave. Victor Meldrew manages to be wrong as well as right, a lot.

Oh, I don't know about that.  I consider Victor Meldrew to be a paragon of virtue.  I genuinaly love and respect that character and his moral code.

BeardFaceMan

I find that Larry is usually right but I rarely agree with him because hes such a prick about it.

Virgo76

I'm usually not on his side.
I agreed with him when the woman told him not to bring the glass of water into the theatre as a) He had a legitimate reason for doing so and b) she didn't work there anyway.
But anyone who complements their friend's son on the size of his penis is surely asking for trouble.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 18, 2018, 09:08:57 AM
But anyone who complements their friend's son on the size of his penis is surely asking for trouble.

Not sure if I've misunderstood that scene, but isn't Larry saying that in a faux-complimentary 'must take after his father' sort of way that is misconstrued?

Virgo76

It was an insanely stupid thing to say either way.

poodlefaker

I was watching the last series on a plane a few weeks ago and I was laughing so much the American bloke sitting behind asked me what it was "Oh, my wife and I love that show" he said, "Boy, he certainly gets up to some hi-jinks." So that's how I think of CYE now: Larry David gets up to hi-jinks.

Petey Pate

When he said that Ricky Gervais' Extras wasn't the funniest TV show ever made.

New Jack

Isn't the whole setup he's a sympathetic protagonist, as he's so honest, volunteering information the rest of us wouldn't? Seems like it would be easier to ask times we disagreed with him (I don't like him helping Jeff with his affair!)

mojo filters

Quote from: Replies From View on June 17, 2018, 12:25:09 PM
Also "BALD ASSHOLE" is a hate crime.  And people who choose to shave their heads are not part of the bald community and they don't know what it is like to be bald.

I joined up just to reiterate this important point! It's as relevant now as it was when originally broadcast. I'm personally offended nearly every day simply by virtue of the lack of recognition around this sensitive issue.

Sebastian Cobb