Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bucks Fizz

Started by pigamus, June 17, 2018, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Absolute 80s currently playing My Camera Never Lies - what a brilliant song that is. They're really underrated, aren't they?

Shit Good Nose

I've seen three or four iterations of Bucks Fizz live, including The Fizz.  I say live, but I'm 99.9% sure they were miming in at least one of those concerts.  Not a fan.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Why have you seen Buck's Fizz live so many times ? That's weird .

jobotic

When I first heard Amen by The Fizz I thought it was Madonna. Still do.

DrGreggles

Quote from: pigamus on June 17, 2018, 07:23:09 PM
They're really underrated, aren't they?

No, they're really dreadful.
I mean, really REALLY dreadful.

buzby

The terminal-period ABBA-esque When We Were Young is pretty good

DrGreggles

Cheryl Baker often looks like she's having a terminal period...

the science eel

Gulftastic

Watching the TOTP reruns has made judge them less harshly. They were a solid pop group, with some nice songs. They did good turns on said TOTP, and Jay Aston was the fucks biz.

the science eel

You might find two or three songs that aren't piss-poor if you scan the whole catalogue. But why waste time?

They were nothing like ABBA - not close. And I know that's what some of you are thinking - that they were a kind of second-rate ABBA. They were tat.

studpuppet

If it's any consolation, they were better than "David Van Day's Bucks Fizz Show".

Phil_A

Making Your Mind Up is definitely about taking it up the bum, isn't it?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 17, 2018, 11:34:13 PM
I've seen three or four iterations of Bucks Fizz live, including The Fizz.  I say live, but I'm 99.9% sure they were miming in at least one of those concerts.  Not a fan.

Not specifically by choice - 80s revival mini-festivals, the GWR Roadshow circa 1995 (on the same bill as The Backstreet Boys), and once supporting another band I can't even remember now.  Never seen them with Cheryl Baker.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 17, 2018, 11:34:13 PM
I saw them at Butlins in 1997, when I was working there as a barman at a family karaoke bar. Rather coincidentally, at the same show was a woman I'd met at a University Nightline (is that still a thing?) event the year before, didn't go to the same uni as me, copped off with her then the next night she copped off with some guy I'd befriended from yet another uni and ended up marrying him some time later. She was at Butlins with her family, they apparently did it every year.

Bucks Fizz were on fine form that night, as I drank myself into oblivion with what my miniscule wages could afford. Damn you Naomi, you bewitching wonder!

Keebleman

Jay Aston was magnificent.  I was anxious for all their records to get in the top 30 at least as that would ensure a TOTP appearance where she would often wear not that much at all.

I didn't go so far as buying any of them, mind.  Except for Land of Make Believe, but that's because it was brilliant.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Keebleman on June 19, 2018, 03:45:55 AM

I didn't go so far as buying any of them, mind.  Except for Land of Make Believe, but that's because it was brilliant.

The American Lady singer Pink thought this too, to the extent of ripping it off for one of her famous songs - BUT WHICH ONE ????

Norton Canes

Quote from: Keebleman on June 19, 2018, 03:45:55 AM
Jay Aston was magnificent.  I was anxious for all their records to get in the top 30 at least as that would ensure a TOTP appearance where she would often wear not that much at all

Always thought there was something very proto-Alison Goldfrapp about Ms Aston. Check her out at the end of this performance of Land Of Make Believe on the 1982 TOTP Christmas Special.

smudge1971

Fans of Miss Aston will appreciate this rendition of 'If You  Can't Stand The Heat' where the girls mime dropping down to fellate their fellow 'members' on  'wonder what you're missing'. And the kid up front getting memory wanks for the next decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aur6XEfz0

Norton Canes

Dear God but Cheryl B is such a frumpy hoofer.

This was my favourite Jay Aston moment, broadcast by the BBC in 1983. I managed to surreptitiously capture it on a VHS which subsequently became very frequently played.   

I am disclosing way too much here. This has been my final post on the subject.

Vodka Margarine

I always mistake Bucks Fizz, Dollar and Tight Fit for being the same band. I think BF were probably the best in that particular genre of sugary, tits-and-teeth, Butlins Redcoat 80s pop.