Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley on tonight's Newsnight Review

Started by Bean Is A Carrot, February 04, 2005, 05:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bean Is A Carrot

From the Newsnight e-newsletter...

=-=-=

Review's guests tonight are Bonnie Greer, John Mullan, and Kwame Kwai Armah - and we'll be joined by Chris Morris, through the medium of his new television satire, Nathan Barley, which may or may not contain subliminal messages redolent of an early Brass Eye almost a decade ago on Channel Four.

Then, a single frame delivered contained the memorable line, "Michael Grade is a c**t."  Well, now he is the Chairman of the BBC's Board of Governors and Chris Morris has co-written and directed a new six part series for Channel Four, so both are fine and well.

=-=-=

butnut

Ooh, thanks. Could someone be a star and capture this in some way, as I don't have any way of watching it, and I'm sure it's the kind of thing Neil would want for the site - even though it will probably be really annoying.

Jemble Fred

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Bonnie Greer talking about Nathan Barley. I'm going to need a drink to get through that.

Is Humpty hosting?

butnut

Bean mentioned something about Kirsty Warkkrkrkrk, but he's edited that out.

Bean Is A Carrot

Quote from: "butnut"Bean mentioned something about Kirsty Warkkrkrkrk, but he's edited that out.

Sorry, couldn't remember the html for quoting. Yes, Wark is hosting.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Bonnie Greer hates both The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy ('unreadable') and Jerry Springer The Opera ('a Footlights sneer at those wacky Americans') which gives you some idea of her views on comedy. She'll love it.

The Mumbler

Oh nuts.  Straight after the Friday Night Project.  Because I'm buggered if I'm taping that rather than Jazz Britannia.

How many books or films about "9/11" are they perusing on tonight's Newsnight Review, I wonder?  To the nearest half-dozen.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

QuoteBean Is A Carrot From the Newsnight e-newsletter...

Review's guests tonight are Bonnie Greer, John Mullan, and Kwame Kwai Armah - and we'll be joined by Chris Morris, through the medium of his new television satire, Nathan Barley, which may or may not contain subliminal messages redolent of an early Brass Eye almost a decade ago on Channel Four.

Then, a single frame delivered contained the memorable line, "Michael Grade is a c**t."  Well, now he is the Chairman of the BBC's Board of Governors and Chris Morris has co-written and directed a new six part series for Channel Four, so both are fine and well.

Before I read on '...through the medium of his new...' my heart leapt into my mouth. Shame Will Self, Mark Kermode or anything else I actually like isn't on it, though Kwai Armah usually say something interesting. [/quote]

TTT

Quote from: "butnut"Ooh, thanks. Could someone be a star and capture this in some way, as I don't have any way of watching it, and I'm sure it's the kind of thing Neil would want for the site - even though it will probably be really annoying.

I'll capture it and upload it tomorrow.

butnut

Quote from: "TTT"

I'll capture it and upload it tomorrow.

Thankyou! If I ever have children, you can have first use of them.

benthalo

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Oh nuts.  Straight after the Friday Night Project.  Because I'm buggered if I'm taping that rather than Jazz Britannia.

FNP, God help us, is repeated over the weekend. And Jazz Britannia's on at a million o'clock in the morning anyway.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

At least John Harris isn't on the panel. He'd probably write a book about it. ('So Now What Do I Say When Interviewed About Britpop?')

Neil

Starting now.  Thanks for offering to do the encode TTT, excellent stuff.

alan strang

Hah-haaaaaaah!!! It's the Ab Fab of the Noughties!!!!!!

InfiniteFury

That bloke on the left side of the screen just described it as the AbFab of the Noughties. Correct me perhaps, that was on this website earlier this week saying someone would say that as a joke. Not just me is it?

alan strang

Good, we all picked up on that one then...

butnut

Is that true? Isn't that an Alan Strang line that was in a Guardian article too?

EDIT - read the previous post.

imitationleather

Oh, phoney Holby City twat loves it.

Pretentious cunt.

Solid Snail

They're showing some decent length clips, and they're quite enjoyable.

"...Books and shit" even made me laugh out loud.

The Mumbler

That first clip was atrocious - "sisters are fit" delivered like Alan Partridge saying "Jews are good" in Knowing Me Knowing Yule.  Which wasn't the greatest line in the world then.

The second clip might just be even worse.  Smug, empty toss.

As I predicted, the panel talk about La Dolce Vita (Fellini, not Ryan Paris) rather than the programme, and conclude that this is why it's so damn hilarious.  Awful nonsense.

butnut

What the hell has this got to do with Fellini?

InfiniteFury

So good they said it - what's the one after thrice?

DJ One Record

I wasn't convinced by those "idiots", which is always a bad sign.

Consignia

That Dan Ashcroft character seems quite hateful. It seemed to be more amusing though, than I thought it would.

DJ One Record

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"So good they said it - what's the one after thrice?

Quiche.

benthalo

Quote from: "alan strang"Hah-haaaaaaah!!! It's the Ab Fab of the Noughties!!!!!!

I knew you'd post that the moment Kwami Bloke Off Of Casualty said it!

The clips were grim, and I've deliberately avoided 99% of all talk about the show up until now, so can at least vainly hope for an exemption from "you're prejudiced" bollocks from people who used to edit satiregusset.com.