Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley on tonight's Newsnight Review

Started by Bean Is A Carrot, February 04, 2005, 05:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans

What is Churchill's Serious Money?  The only thing I can think he meant is Loadsa Money.

I never thought I'd see Richard Ayoade described as being 'perfect casting'.

Divnee Gan

The clips I saw tonight made me more interested than what I had already read by Neil and Lauren on this site though. It seemed fairly funny, not quite the disaster I was expecting.

edit: then again i'm into my 2nd bottle of wine.

2nd edit: It looks too trendy and 'of its time' to watch it in ten years time and still laugh though. It could well be dogshit.

InfiniteFury

Quote from: "DJ One Record"
Quote from: "InfiniteFury"So good they said it - what's the one after thrice?

Quiche.

Nice

butnut

Quote from: "Hans"I never thought I'd see Richard Ayoade described as being 'perfect casting'.

Well, he's meant to be playing a complete tosser, so I can see how that works.

slim

I can't believe they actually said that strangism... I wonder if it was a conspiratol nod to the phrase or just a genuine, terrible line?

V

I found myself wanting to agree with 'La Dolce Vita' but actually agreeing with 'Ab Fab', though I've absolutely no idea why....

alan strang

Quote from: "butnut"Is that true? Isn't that an Alan Strang line that was in a Guardian article too?

Yes (although I was originally taking the piss - I said "the 90s"). And that stupid fuck passed it off as his own observation too!

Oh, we also got the usual "It'll be enjoyed by the very people it sets out to lampoon" observation.

benthalo

Quote from: "Hans"What is Churchill's Serious Money?  The only thing I can think he meant is Loadsa Money

Caryl Churchill's 80s play Serious Money, one would imagine.

alan strang

Quote from: "slim"I can't believe they actually said that strangism...

Strangism - like it. Good shit. Well weapon.

Aaaaargh!

Neil

See what I meant about the camera-work and pointless zooms?

Robot Devil

Quote from: "Divnee Gan"The clips I saw tonight made me more interested than what I had already read by Neil and Lauren on this site though. It seemed fairly funny, not quite the disaster I was expecting.

My sentiments exactly. I notice that our assembled panel are too busy picking up on one phrase used rather than engaging with the points the Newsnight Review people made.

EDIT: Bad quotage.

John Williams

Quote from: "Hans"What is Churchill's Serious Money?  The only thing I can think he meant is Loadsa Money.

I never thought I'd see Richard Ayoade described as being 'perfect casting'.

"Serious Money" is a verse play written by Caryl Churchill in 1987.  It's a satire (amongst other things) of the 80s stock market culture, and the type of people who worked in the city.

[Edit - beaten to it by Bent Halo - curses.]

Robot Devil

Quote from: "Neil"See what I meant about the camera-work and pointless zooms?

Not really, but Peep Show's direction never registered with me either, so maybe I miss these kinds of things.

DJ One Record

Nah. I was too busy looking at/for the content.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quick tip for you, Kwame from Casualty - if you're going to pretend to like something, don't use a verbatim line from the press release. You fucking, *fucking* prick.

peet

I laughed several times, even though there wasn't much more material in those clips than the trailers.
Does anyone think Kirsty Wark has started sounding a bit pissed in the last couple of years? She seems to quite often do a three-pints slur. Now I'll find out she has a tragic brain wasting disease, and feel terrible.

alan strang

Quote from: "Robot Devil"I notice that our assembled panel are too busy picking up on one phrase used rather than engaging with the points the Newsnight Review people made.

We don't really need to - all their critical cliches have been covered in advance in other threads.

We wouldn't want to repeat ourselves would we?

Hans

Quote from: "benthalo"
Quote from: "Hans"What is Churchill's Serious Money?  The only thing I can think he meant is Loadsa Money

Well, shush my mouth.

benthalo

Quote from: "DJ One Record"

Nah. I was too busy looking at/for the content.

The same thing, surely? It's a television programme, not a book.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Field-removed too, it seems. Is it normal-video on the preview discs?

InfiniteFury

On the strength of those clips (which obviously isn't a great guide) I think the only plan I can think of for 10pm next Friday is to get caned and hope for the best.

Didn't find the camerawork painfully intrusive but I think I was more trying to take in the people and what-not.

benthalo

Quote from: "Hans"

Well, shush my mouth.

Oh, that's alright. It just means you're not a ponce like me and John. "Verse plays", honestly.

Consignia

They mentioned it was co-written by Charles Brooker. I thought  he was competely at that post, and Morris was just the director.

benthalo

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Field-removed too, it seems. Is it normal-video on the preview discs?

Was there some engineered grain in there too, or was that just the analogue signal I was having to rely on?

I'm taking bets on how many viewers watch The Keith Barret Show next Friday at ten.

shit as fuck

Oh bloody hell, is he from Casualty?  For a minute I thought someone reputable was heaping praise on NB.  Bugger.

They should look into combining 'shit TV medic' and 'ex-big brother contestant' by getting that nice Jeremy Edwards in, thus cutting both Kwame and Germaine out of the picture.  And, bonus, he's a jew as well.  Would save on the BBC black-cab accounts and reduce pointlessly high-brow friday-night TV content by 50% into the bargain.

John Williams

Quote from: "Hans"

Well, shush my mouth.

Oh, that's alright. It just means you're not a ponce like me and John. "Verse plays", honestly.

And I'm a second-rate ponce at that.  Beaten to the identification of the verse play by three minutes.  Can I ever leave the house again?

DJ One Record

Quote from: "benthalo"The same thing, surely? It's a television programme, not a book.

Well, as a wise man once said:

QuoteDidn't find the camerawork painfully intrusive but I think I was more trying to take in the people and what-not.

Alright, I tell a lie, InfiniteFury said it, but it sums up what I originally meant.

Robot Devil

I have a question, does the fact that Morris is always mentioned before Brooker (thus far) as (co)writer indicate that Morris wrote most of it, or just that Morris is a "bigger name"?

benthalo

Quote from: "shit as fuck"Oh bloody hell, is he from Casualty?  For a minute I thought someone reputable was heaping praise on NB.  Bugger.

He's a playwright perhaps best known for appearing on Comic Relief Does Fame Academy or whatever it was. A weird career trajectory all the same. And I'm sure he refers to it as a "trajectory".

QuoteThey should look into combining 'shit TV medic' and 'ex-big brother contestant' by getting that nice Jeremy Edwards in, thus cutting both Kwame and Germaine out of the picture.  And, bonus, he's a jew as well.  Would save on the BBC black-cab accounts and reduce pointlessly high-brow friday-night TV content by 50% into the bargain.

Only if Tom Paulin can turn up pissed.

Robot Devil

Quote from: "shit as fuck"Oh bloody hell, is he from Casualty?  For a minute I thought someone reputable was heaping praise on NB.  Bugger.

I believe he is a well-respected playwright, as well.

EDIT: Bah.