Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley on tonight's Newsnight Review

Started by Bean Is A Carrot, February 04, 2005, 05:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ One Record

Quote from: "Robot Devil"I have a question, does the fact that Morris is always mentioned before Brooker (thus far) as (co)writer indicate that Morris wrote most of it, or just that Morris is a "bigger name"?

What do you think? There's only one 'god-like genius' working on Nathan Barley...so obviously it's because Morris wrote most of it.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "shit as fuck"Oh bloody hell, is he from Casualty?  For a minute I thought someone reputable was heaping praise on NB.  Bugger.

He's written several plays as well.  One or two of them have won prizes, I read somewhere.

benthalo

Quote from: "Robot Devil"
Quote from: "shit as fuck"Oh bloody hell, is he from Casualty?  For a minute I thought someone reputable was heaping praise on NB.  Bugger.

I believe he is a well-respected playwright, as well.

EDIT: Bah.

I appear to have accidentally found myself being a complete theatrical ponce tonight. I do apologise.

chav

I still don't understand what David Brent  has to do with it. Is Barley supposed to be an idiot or not? It doesn't seem so from the clips. Why can't it be treated as a work of art on its own, instead of as some natural child of The Office.

Barley has the beard, right? This is how much attention I'm paying, sadly...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The clips they showed reminded me of Jeremy and SuperHans in Peep Show.

shit as fuck

Yeah, well I always thought the 'Actor and Playwright' caption meant he wrote and acted in plays, an artform that I am far too provincial and poor to take an active interest in.  

Had assumed I'd never seen him in anything because I was too low-brow, quite nice to find out it's the other way round and he's in shitty shit fuckin Casualty.

EDIT - Sorry, i've forgotten to use the quote function again, for the benefit of people who are now confused I am referring to the chap from NR who is also in Casualty, no, not the fella in the dark jumper...the guy with the brown eyes, that one, for christ's sake!

DJ One Record

Quote from: "chav"Barley has the beard, right? This is how much attention I'm paying, sadly...

No, Barley was the "sisters are fit" guy.

alan strang

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Field-removed too, it seems. Is it normal-video on the preview discs?

Yeah, that's interesting - I did think the film-like colouring but normal frame-rate on the trails was a deliberate attempt to give it a distinctive halfway-house look - a harkback to Jam. But the actual series has been drop-framed.

That Sugar Ape office stuff is very Lee & Herring's Ironic Review isn't it. But given an Office-style gloss so the caricatures are far too laid-back to be a proper angry piss-take (hence all the cutaways to Ashcroft's disapproving face).

ASHCROFT
What books have you read?

PARTRIDGE
Erm... all the Greek ones...

Say no more. Partridge by numbers a la Darkplace.

"Kwame - did you get it?" / "I got it!"

DJ One Record

Yeah, that was it, sorry. You'd think a line that simple would be easy to remember but meh...

imitationleather

Casualty? Bollocks, and I've been calling him 'the Holby City cunt' all these months...

He will really say anything to be taken seriously, won't he? He was wearing glasses in an attempt to look bookish tonight.

Clinton Morgan

Quote from: "benthalo"I appear to have accidentally found myself being a complete theatrical ponce tonight. I do apologise.

Don't apologise! We need more people like you and John.

Quote from: "Stephen Fry"I was at the theatre two nights ago. The National ... OUR National theat ... our Royal National Theatre. I saw a play, yes alright it was only a play. Oh brilliant, so now I'm to be judged and whipped and mocked and scorned because it was only a play. Great. Thanks very much indeed. Alright, yes it was only a sod-buggering play. No, MacEnroe wasn't in it, nor Lendl or Noah or any of the big stars. So it wasn't stuffed with top names. Christ, what do you want from me? Hm? Hm? Hm? My God, I go, I at least bloody bother to get off my fat, wobbling, lardy, smelly, huge, festering carpet and actually go to the theatre and suddenly I'm Adolf Eichmann. Well I'm bloody sorry but ... WHY WON'T THIS FRIGGING TOMATO SETTLE BLOODY DOWN!!! (He is having trouble slicing a tomato.) God! What is the earthly use of trying, just for once in your life, to make an honest salad, just trying, without help, without any other motive than love and an honest desire without the CRUDDING ARSING thing falling apart in your bloody hands. God! Anyway, I saw a play there, by Shakespeare as it happens. And I started thinking. Thinking about Shakespeare ... O this COCKING CUCUMBER!

Robot Devil

Neil

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Field-removed too, it seems. Is it normal-video on the preview discs?

Well I think so, it's a hell of a lot brighter and sharper.

imitationleather

Oh, that's not what I meant and you know it!

TTT

Anyone got anywhere for me to host this? or does anyone know of a decent public tracker that i can use?

benthalo

QuoteDon't apologise! We need more people like you and John.

Bless you. And that's one of my favourite Fry things, transmitted (as I recall) to the week that he disappeared. In my scribblings, I always referred to it as Nervous Breakdown Salad. I used to get very irritable with cooking so "cocking cucumber" holds a major resonance with me.

Rats

Ha :) They obviously had a kitty for whoever was going to slip that in. The presenters face when he said it was priceless. I've capped this, uploading it now for anyone who missed it, 68mb. I must say, I'm a lot more optimistic now, the clips they showed were canny good.

Clinton Morgan

Nervous Breakdown Salad. That's a better title than For Some Reason Angry.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Divnee Gan"The clips I saw tonight made me more interested than what I had already read by Neil and Lauren on this site though. It seemed fairly funny, not quite the disaster I was expecting.

That's the danger though isn't it? The vitriol is such that you finally watch the thing and it doesn't seem so bad.

But it's not great is it? It's not The Answer Prancer.

It's not even as funny as L&H's Ironic Review, which was weak and underwritten at the best of times.

And yes, Partridge by numbers.

FIG A
- What's the second best book you've read?
- Um...Heidi?

FIG B
- Who's the most famous philosopher?
- Um...Peter Ustinov?

Also, Ashcroft says 'Bye idiots' in The Simon Pegg Voice. (yes, finally saw Trailer 2 today.)

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
It's not even as funny as L&H's Ironic Review, which was weak and underwritten at the best of times.

quote]

I wonder if Jo Unwin has said to her other half, "Oi, that's straight out of the mouth of Sacha Bedford Hill! - only not as good obviously"....

Rats

http://www.zen26454.zen.co.uk/newsnight.part1.rar
http://www.zen26454.zen.co.uk/newsnight.part2.rar

Sorry to steal your thunder TTT, just reading the thread now, here's mine anyway, wait for Tickle's if you want better quality and service with a smile.

alan strang

Quote from: "The Mumbler"I wonder if Jo Unwin has said to her other half, "Oi, that's straight out of the mouth of Sacha Bedford Hill! - only not as good obviously"....

Bloody hell - I'd forgotten the obvious Morris link there.

Well, we all know Chris Morris types new stuff on the back of Jo Unwin's old scripts - maybe he just got confused one day.

bill hicks

Sadly no Tom Paulin to equate it with Vietnam or American Imperialism, but they got Fellini in so I'm proud of them. And thought Newsnight Review was losing it's touch.

Have to say the first clip was decent, but the second clip was really good. I laughed (out loud as well) on 'Books and shit' AND 'Heidi'.

It's all swings a roundabouts this lark isn't it? At first I was looking forward to it, then got worried it'd be crap, then got really excited before Neil posted how shite it was and got ready to hate it again...now I see that second clip and I'm really excited again. Just show the bastard and put me out of my misery Channel 4.

peet

Quote from: "bill hicks"At first I was looking forward to it, then got worried it'd be crap, then got really excited before Neil posted how shite it was and got ready to hate it again...now I see that second clip and I'm really excited again.
You are *SO* Nathan Barley. Just form a reasonable opinion you goon!

large, bored winky at everyone

butnut

The Duck Man

I really Kwame thingy, so there. He's a good actor, written some good plays and always seems like a very personable, intelligent bloke.

Not that I saw this, but I doubt he would have done anything to change my opinion of him.

Rats

Oh I think it might have, unless you like cunts. I didn't like the "heidi" clip but the clips of them riding around on bikes were good and the "alright you spunk-plate, keep it dusty" was funny.

SimonJT

I liked the bit when they were all just vaguely describing scenes they liked, talking over each other a bit, and saying "Should we be mentioning this? No I'm sure...". Is it like that all the time? I thought Newsnight Review was highbrow.

Rats

It was rubbish wasn't it? They went nowhere, they had crap guests on this week mind. At least you know where you are with tom "it's prrrrrnography" paulin and greer.