Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:08:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

T E X A S C H A I N S A W M A S S A C R E 2

Started by madhair60, June 18, 2018, 08:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Saw this last night on the old Net Flicks, thought it was good. Mental. Lots of fun and a strong "reaction" to the original. Also Leatherface's first appearance at the radio station has to be an all-time great jump scare.

St_Eddie

"Lick my plate, you dog dick!"

I have a soft spot for Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.  It's utterly ridiculous and completely absurd but good fun, none the less.  I recommend the Arrow Blu-Ray release which, like all Arrow releases, is stuffed to the brim with more special features than you could shake a stick chainsaw at.

Glebe

It's no masterpiece, but it's good, gory fun. TRIVIA: Primus sample it in 'Jerry Was a Racecar Driver'.

Oh yeah, love the Stewart Copeland (Klark Kent) song on the end credits ('Strange Things Happen').

DukeDeMondo

I think it's absolutely fucking brilliant. It's the manic, lurid, relentlessly gory OTT headcase of a film that folk thought the original was going to be when it was finally passed by the BBFC back whenever it was (I'm not knocking the original, like, it's one of the best fucking films ever made). And it's funny as fuck. The first film was funny too in places, but TCSM2 is an outright comedy for most of its running time, far, far more concerned with slapstick and satire than with evoking anything like the kind of actual horror that made the first film so iconic. It's like if Paul Verhoeven had decided to make a slasher film in 1986.

It's just wonderful is the long and the short of it, and none of the other sequels or remakes or prequels or sequel/prequels come anywhere near (although I do have a soft spot for Leatherface: Texas Chain Saw Massacre 3 and the not very highly regarded 2003 Platinum Dunes number).

There's a great chapter on it in Carol Clover's Men, Women & Chiansaws. I can't recommend that enough if you haven't already come across it.

madhair60

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 18, 2018, 03:30:58 PM
There's a great chapter on it in Carol Clover's Men, Women & Chiansaws. I can't recommend that enough if you haven't already come across it.

Never heard of it but it's on the list now, thank you.

Avril Lavigne

Rob Zombie tried really hard to make spiritual successors to TCM2, even down to casting Bill Moseley, but his movies just don't quite work like original.  Maybe because they're never particularly funny so there's nothing to balance out the grim stuff.

Bad Ambassador

madhair60

Desirable Industrial Unit

It's both terrible and great, and I love it in the way I love Gremlins 2.  Everybody wanted a sequel, but nobody wanted that particular sequel.  It's a grand old fuck-about.  As soon as Hopper gets to the fairylight dungeon, I tune out though.  That last part of the film just plays itself out, because it's a bit rote and thin.

BlodwynPig

Looked on Netflix (Canada) saw Leatherface, watched 30 mins...turned off...It wasn't TCM III Leatherface. Worse than an episode of Dexter

Keebleman

It starts out quite well - that lady DJ seems like she'll be an interesting character - but gets incredibly irritating by the end, with all the screaming, whining chainsaws and that amazingly annoying character with the metal plate in his head.  Oddly though the 100 minutes seemed to whiz by.  Perhaps I fell asleep during bits of it.

Replies From View

Yeah those whining chainsaws are a bit of a grind.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 19, 2018, 01:37:54 AM
Looked on Netflix (Canada) saw Leatherface, watched 30 mins...turned off...It wasn't TCM III Leatherface. Worse than an episode of Dexter

Urgh.  Yeah, that movie is gubbins.  Also, when will filmmakers learn that one of the worst things that you can do, is to explain why a horror icon like Leatherface is the way that he is by making a prequel/origin story.  It takes all the mystery and terror out of the character.  It's especially bad when, as is the case with the recent Leatherface, the origin story being told is completely incongruous with the character that we see in the subsequent film.  There's absolutely no way that the character we see in the origin story is the same person who would go on to become Leatherface in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Rubbish movie.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Keebleman on June 19, 2018, 04:06:23 AM
It starts out quite well - that lady DJ seems like she'll be an interesting character - but gets incredibly irritating by the end, with all the screaming, whining chainsaws and that amazingly annoying character with the metal plate in his head.  Oddly though the 100 minutes seemed to whiz by.  Perhaps I fell asleep during bits of it.

I watched it tonight and that's how I felt. It's quite funny initially but the joke wears thin and the members of Leatherface's family (bar the grandfather) are ridiculously annoying.