Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Concert cliches you want to fuck off

Started by thecuriousorange, June 18, 2018, 10:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

this whole thread is a fucking lol. i invited all my mates round to read it and have a good laugh but one of them started filming me scrolling the pages so i glassed him. i posted about this incident on another forum thinking they'd call me a hero but i was unanimously called a tosser so i decided to go all quiet while they ripped the piss out of me, lol!

EDIT NEW PAGE LMAO

alan nagsworth

thing is, greg, i don't have to go to gigs and pretend to be lord and saviour of the miserable old cunts to try and fail to make friends. that might seem alien to you but this is how normal people live their lives

DrGreggles

Lemming

This thread is eye-opening, I never knew that anti-phone sentiment existed to this extent. If you're watching a hero of yours perform on stage, of course you're going to record it for the memories. That said, I'm talking entirely hypothetically, because I don't go to concerts and the last "concert" I was present for was happening at the back of a shit pub I got forced to go to, and featured three generic dickheads quietly and awkwardly covering Ramones songs.

Modern phones give great visual quality and decent enough audio quality, more than good enough to make the recording worthwhile. I watch people's phone-recorded uploads of concerts on YouTube all the time and really enjoy them, although hearing a sudden "I FUCKING WARNED YOU, YOU SELFISH CUNT" before the footage gets all shaky and cuts to static in the style of Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield would enhance the experience greatly.

phantom_power

There are ways of doing it that are less invasive than others and I don't know why anyone would begrudge someone taking a quick film of a concert. At most you would have to move your head to one side a bit if you were directly behind them, or just take a step one way or the other. It all just seems part of interacting with other people who may have slightly different motives and interests than you in a public space

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: Lemming on June 27, 2018, 04:33:59 AM
If you're watching a hero of yours perform on stage, of course you're going to record it for the memories.

I think this is the nub of the issue - you're either this way inclined or not. I'm not trying to sound all Brookeresque and SCREENS = DECLINE OF MODERN SOCIETY but it's never even occurred to me. I also see it less and less these days and there was a time when everyone felt compelled to do it. I just got the impression it's one of those crazes that's on the way out. Depends on the band and the audience, I guess.

Captain Crunch

No.  The nub of the issue is that some people are polite and considerate and some people are not.  You only notice people getting drinks if they do that silly thing of holding all the drinks up high and barking "SCUSEMESCUSEMESCUSEMECOMINGTHROUGHMINDYERBACK" and expecting everyone to part like the Red Sea.  Similarly you'll notice people trying to film if they block your view or lean on you but these are the same people who don't see why they should control their dogs or who tailgate or can't queue or any other inconsiderate thing you want to mention.  Mabye some bands attract these types more than others? 

Anyway, the last three gigs I've been to have had punter numbers in single figures so maybe we should add not turning up in the first place to the list. 

Blinder Data

Using your phone at the theatre < using your phone in the cinema < using your phone at gigs

"<" stands for "less annoying" in this case

A group behind me voiced their displeasure when I filmed the opening few numbets when stood at the front of a concert last month. But my boom-mike operator assured me I was well within my rights.

Jerzy Bondov

I saw Westlife at the Sheffield Motorpoint Arena and they sat on a revolving metal platform which floated out over the crowd. More bands should do that. You can get a good look at them even if you're quite short. And you can go 'MARK! MARK!' until Mark looks at you. There's Mark, you say to yourself.

manticore

Quote from: Lemming on June 27, 2018, 04:33:59 AM
This thread is eye-opening, I never knew that anti-phone sentiment existed to this extent. If you're watching a hero of yours perform on stage, of course you're going to record it for the memories.

But your memories are your memories. I'm wondering about the extent that thinking about and concentrating on recording a concert undermines your ability to experience it.

mobias

People forget that the whole recording gigs and uploading them onto Youtube thing has helped to fuel the currently vibrant live concert scene. Bands ultimately do well out of it. I've definitely gone to see bands live on the strength of watching some dodgy but compelling camera phone footage on Youtube. It adds to the hype surrounding new material too. If a band or act debuts a great new tune live and people upload footage of it then it immediately sparks discussion and enthusiasm from the fanbase.

a duncandisorderly

"1! 2! 3! 4!" shouted in the middle of a song. fucking hate that. I don't think bonio started it, but he might've.

Pauline Walnuts

I'd love to see mobile phone footage of some of the gigs I went to in my yout.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 27, 2018, 09:43:28 PM
"1! 2! 3! 4!" shouted in the middle of a song. fucking hate that. I don't think bonio started it, but he might've.

In the case of Belinda Carlisle : "Come on!" shouted in the middle of a song.  She used to do it once. In one song.  Now she does it every bloody 15 seconds.

Cuntbeaks

Very specific l, but the Belinda Carlisle bit in Orbital sets.

Seriously guys, it was shit the first time.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 27, 2018, 09:43:28 PM

Bonio is guilty of almost everything in this thread.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 02, 2018, 06:38:06 PM
Bonio is guilty of almost everything in this thread.
He probably films himself at concerts too.

magval

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on July 02, 2018, 08:44:32 AM
Very specific l, but the Belinda Carlisle bit in Orbital sets.

Seriously guys, it was shit the first time.

I never saw it before their Belfast set there last month, but it absolutely ruins a song that means a lot to me and I'm sure many others, and I don't get it at all. Is it supposed to be funny? Does it use the same, I dunno, chords or something?

Clownbaby

I found it depressing watching Beck performing at the Biggest Weekend because he did the classic "I don't have faith in my singing in this high note, here audience do it please"

He's not what he was

When the singer asks an audience to shout a word or phrase in unison , why is the crowd's first effort never seemingly loud enough for them?

olliebean

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 05, 2018, 09:23:11 PM
When the singer asks an audience to shout a word or phrase in unison , why is the crowd's first effort never seemingly loud enough for them?

Not only not loud enough, but apparently inaudible, if the inevitable response of "I can't hear you" is to be believed.

olliebean

Went to see a Pink Floyd tribute band tonight. It was all going so well until they got the audience to clap along to One of These Days.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: olliebean on July 09, 2018, 01:13:56 AM
Went to see a Pink Floyd tribute band tonight. It was all going so well until they got the audience to clap along to One of These Days.

the meddling bastards!

PaulTMA

I got to play on the same line up as Bjorn Again last year and indeed all was going well until they threw in a mashup of 'S.O.S.' and The Police's 'Message In A Bottle'.

Unwarranted standing ovations.

At any seated gig, a standing ovation is now seemingly obligatory at the end. Even if it was a 3/5 performance. Maybe the type of people who go to seated things are older and don't get out much, so they need to convince themselves  that something is more significant than it actually is.

Icehaven

God I hate clapping along. An Italian band supported my band last week and totally upstaged us by being very good and actually having fans turn up. However they kept getting the crowd to clap along to nearly every bloody song, which was annoying enough, but then when we were playing our bloody singer copied them and tried to do it once or twice too, the berk. Words will be had.