Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Haddaway. WHY?

Started by lebowskibukowski, June 19, 2018, 08:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodka Margarine

As alluded to above, early-to-mid 90s eurodance pop seems to be undergoing a resurgence in advert land at the moment - alongside the titular Haddaway song, you've got 'The Rhythm Of The Night' by Corona and 'Rhythm Is A Dancer' by Snap! in their godawful X-Factor voiced cover versions flogging every type of sausage and wool you can think of. It's painful to come to terms with but these songs are 25 years old and therefore ancient enough to have bypassed an entire generation who equate their dad's hazy rave memories with the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket.

Jockice

Norton Canes

I always think this is the rollerskating tampons music.

the

boki

Custard

Limmy is a big fan, and we like Limmy

He was always playing that 'I Miss You' one on his webcam

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Jockice on June 20, 2018, 10:00:28 AM
Haddaway and shite.

Ive no idea why but I always think this whenever I hear the name Haddaway. From a Bottom live show maybe?

buzby

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 20, 2018, 12:13:17 PM
Ive no idea why but I always think this whenever I hear the name Haddaway. From a Bottom live show maybe?
Geordie vernacular expression of disbelief. Used by Oz in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and Harry Enfield's early character Buggerallmoney on Saturday Live

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: buzby on June 20, 2018, 12:25:25 PM
Geordie vernacular expression of disbelief. Used by Oz in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and Harry Enfield's early character Buggerallmoney on Saturday Live

I can barely remember those, I have it in my head that its Rik Mayall doing a geordie accent for some reason, probably referencing one of those things you mentioned. Ooh, I may have picked it up from Viz too, thinking about it.

the

It is from Bottom Live, after Richie realises that they've been locked in the pub for two nights and not one. (He called it a lock-in, but they were actually locked in the toilets.)

'Two bloody nights drinking! Wa-hey the lads! Haddaway and-a shite!'

I thought the Geordie expression was "howay".

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 19, 2018, 09:40:44 AM
The smegging cleaners at Brighton Marina where I live play that smegging station and that smegging song all the sm--- bleeding time.  And it's because of their total ignorance of Cardiacs that they shall ever remain cleaners.

nonsense. it's much better than that wannabe-west-end-musical sub-genesis/vdgg public-school bollocks &, while I wish tim only the best & speediest recovery to full health so that he can go on the produce more albums, or do sea nymphs stuff, I'd rather listen to haddaway ten times than endure one more cardiacs gig.

[I was at the one at the garage which was abandoned when the rented fostex kept breaking down. I asked tim a few days later-
"could you not have put on some sort of a show with just the folks you had there on stage? it was a full-house, man"

& he says

"the arrangements, dear boy...."

I'd only gone along to have one last crack at 'getting into them' under pressure from a good mate; this was the last straw.]

AND he ponced a quid-piece off me to help pay for his round. never saw that again, did I?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: the on June 20, 2018, 12:47:23 PM
It is from Bottom Live, after Richie realises that they've been locked in the pub for two nights and not one. (He called it a lock-in, but they were actually locked in the toilets.)

'Two bloody nights drinking! Wa-hey the lads! Haddaway and-a shite!'

I thought the Geordie expression was "howay".

Ah yes, that's the fucker. That probably is the right expression and they just changed so they could do a shit 'weigh the lads' gag.

Jockice

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 20, 2018, 12:13:17 PM

I'm not really a Bottom fan but I did see a live show circa 1997. I suspect I'd heard it said before then though, perhaps in Viz.

the

Seems they are two different expressions:

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie#VocabularyHoway is broadly comparable to the invocation "Come on!" or the French "Allez-y!" ("Go on!"). Examples of common use include Howay man!, meaning "come on" or "hurry up", Howay the lads! as a term of encouragement for a sports team for example (the players' tunnel at St James' Park has this phrase just above the entrance to the pitch), or Ho'way!? (with stress on the second syllable) expressing incredulity or disbelief.[47] The literal opposite of this phrase is haddaway ("go away"); although not as common as howay, it is perhaps most commonly used in the phrase "Haddaway an' shite" (Tom Hadaway, Figure 5.2 Haddaway an' shite; 'Cursing like sleet blackening the buds, raging at the monk of Jarrow scribbling his morality and judgement into a book.'[48]).

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 20, 2018, 01:16:49 PMAh yes, that's the fucker. That probably is the right expression and they just changed so they could do a shit 'weigh the lads' gag.

Well Richie appropriates it (poorly), and compounds that by not knowing what it means.  When challenged, he panics and comes up with the 'weigh all the lads' explanation.

"Hello, my name's Richie and I'm 15½ stone. And what about you, er... Spender?"

I love how Spender is the first Geordie he can think of.