Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:40:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Plot Holes That are a Step Too Far.

Started by yesitsme, June 19, 2018, 02:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 05, 2018, 02:30:11 PM
The movement is within the photo itself - the young Rachel moves slightly and you also momentarily hear the sound of children playing.

There are two schools of thought with regard to the execution - either it's an emotive thing that Deckard is experiencing (and therefore further suggesting that he's a replicant as he's sharing part of the same memory, or at least is engaging with its sentimentality), or it's an advanced photo that is able to show brief movement and play audio, a la the 3D investigation he does on the Esper machine with one of Roy's photos to find Zhora.  The former is much more satisfying in terms of Blade Runner mythos, but the latter is cited by Paul M Sammon in both the commentary and his book, so technically that is the correct answer.  Either way, it's also a direct reference to La Jetee, where a similar thing happens.
They use the same holographic photo technology in BR2049 too, seen in the picture of Freysa holding Ana as a baby outside Sapper's farmhouse.

Shit Good Nose

kngen

Fuck. Ah well, cheers for that. Two decades' worth of humble pie for dinner, then.

George White

Red Dawn - we are told the Soviets are invading for fertile land, so why they do they use nukes? If they'd said it was some sort of fertiliser bomb that acted like a nuke, but then sprayed some kind of Miracle Gro gas, yes. But it's not.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MoonDust on June 23, 2018, 08:11:38 AM
The entire underlying premise of Jurassic Park is based on the fact that zoos are literally impossible to maintain because of the abstract mathematics of chaos theory and "life finds a way". The book goes further on this point, in an anti-science/don't-play-God framed narrative.

But, like, how many times have zoos suffered complete breakdowns in security and all their animals have run amok and flourished in the surrounding wild?

I get that it's saying dinosaurs don't belong in our time, therefore it's dangerous to make a zoo for them because all hell will break loose, but they don't know any different if they're born and raised in captivity. Just like zoo animals now. It's not like the cloned dinosaurs are gonna be aware in any way they're 65 million years out of place. The T-rex isn't gonna be wondering around its enclosure like "can't put my finger on it. But I just feel like it's 1993, rather than 65,000,000 BC, know what I mean, raptor?" "I know exactly what you mean, pal!"

It's just westworld but with dinosaurs mate.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: George White on November 05, 2018, 07:20:33 PM
Red Dawn - we are told the Soviets are invading for fertile land, so why they do they use nukes? If they'd said it was some sort of fertiliser bomb that acted like a nuke, but then sprayed some kind of Miracle Gro gas, yes. But it's not.

Your commie plays the long game

Tapiocahead

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 19, 2018, 03:15:44 PM
It's a well-known one, but in Jurassic Park the massive drop into the cage should prevent the T-Rex from escaping regardless of whether the power lines are down. Annoying.

Jurassic Park 2 on the ship. The T-Rex manages to escape from the hold, kill the crew and then lock itself back in the hold

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 19, 2018, 06:27:28 PM
no. absolute bollocks, sorry.

besides, the point of the story (as written by dick) is surely deckard's losing his grip on humanity (as he goes around killing things that are like people, & saving up for a toy sheep) along with his wife & others whose tenuous grasp of it is sustained by the empathy boxes & the whole miller business, & the titular artificial animals which are supposed to provide their owners with a focus for empathic feelings & singularly fail to do so; this is contrasted with the perfection- to their disadvantage- of human feelings in the replicants.

it is also one of my most revisited movies- I think I may be into three figures. I have many versions of it- multiple DVDs, multiple VHSs, around eight or nine CDs of the music.
but it is deeply flawed.
There's a bit in the book where he passes through a trap designed to kill humans, that only replicants can pass. I think. It's mentioned once and then never mentioned again, or maybe I'm grossly misremembering it. This is from four pages ago, sorry if the conversation has moved on since then.

mothman

Really? Don't remember that at all. Been a long time since I read DADoES? though. What it makes me think of is an alien trap designed to kill aliens masquerading for human in AE van Vogt's The War Against The Rull.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: mothman on November 11, 2018, 11:12:30 AM
Really? Don't remember that at all. Been a long time since I read DADoES? though. What it makes me think of is an alien trap designed to kill aliens masquerading for human in AE van Vogt's The War Against The Rull.
Bear in mind it's been about 15 years since I last read it, but I think it goes something like - the replicants set up a trap designed to kill any humans that walk through the doorway of their building. A bunch of pages later, Deckard is on the floor of the building where the replicants are, the implication being that he's passed through the trap unscathed.

I have the book somewhere and could check, but I get the feeling it was a throwaway line that the younger me felt clever about spotting, but when I've brought it up I'm the only person who remembers it, which leads me to believe I could just have a faulty memory.

mothman

Nope, still ringing no bells. There's a bit where he discovers a whole fake police station run by replicants but that's it, they even humans working there who don't realise - so no human traps...

Bhazor

They're all really happy when the pizza guy arrives. But then they don't eat the pizza. They just do anal.

Dex Sawash

[tag] that's why you shouldn't use a step drill to make pilot holes [/tag]