Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No.9 Live Halloween Special

Started by Malcy, June 19, 2018, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Cuellar

Hope it's a Ghostwatch parody with a real glory hole.

colacentral

Can Reece resist checking Twitter mid-broadcast for the inevitable "this is shit" comments?

St_Eddie

Excellent news.  The boys (whether it's half of them, or all four) are far too generous.  Recently, we've had a new series of Inside No. 9, three League of Gentlemen specials, I'm off to see the Gentlemen live in August and now they've gone and announced a live Halloween special of Inside No. 9.

We don't deserve this sheer quantity of outstanding entertainment, we really don't.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 19, 2018, 06:29:59 PM
Excellent news.  The boys (whether it's half of them, or all four) are far too generous.  Recently, we've had a new series of Inside No. 9, three League of Gentlemen specials, I'm off to see the Gentlemen live in August and now they've gone and announced a live Halloween special of Inside No. 9.

We don't deserve this sheer quantity of outstanding entertainment, we really don't.

And they done an audio version of The Blood On Satan's Claw. 2 of them are in it i think. Need to get my tickets booked for the live stage show, keep forgetting about it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on June 19, 2018, 07:10:07 PM
And they done an audio version of The Blood On Satan's Claw...

I did not know this but am happy to now know this.  Thanks.

Custard

This sounds brilliant

Hope this show goes on for years

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 19, 2018, 07:24:41 PM
I did not know this but am happy to now know this.  Thanks.

Yeah i'm looking forward to hearing it. As soon as i catch up with the countless other things i'm trying to listen to!

olliebean

I find it hard to get excited about live episodes of scripted stuff. I don't think I've ever seen one that wouldn't have been better if recorded in the normal way (Ghostwatch possibly being the exception as it used the format of a live broadcast so didn't suffer from being actually live, but it probably would have worked just as well recorded as-live). But new IN9 is worth looking forward to regardless. I just think the live thing is a publicity gimmick rather than anything that's likely to make it better. Although perhaps the lads will find something new to do with it that couldn't be done in a non-live format.

Pseudopath

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 19, 2018, 06:29:59 PM
I'm off to see the Gentlemen live in August

Oh...what?! Now I found out. They kept that quiet.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on June 19, 2018, 10:55:33 PM
I find it hard to get excited about live episodes of scripted stuff. I don't think I've ever seen one that wouldn't have been better if recorded in the normal way (Ghostwatch possibly being the exception as it used the format of a live broadcast so didn't suffer from being actually live, but it probably would have worked just as well recorded as-live). But new IN9 is worth looking forward to regardless. I just think the live thing is a publicity gimmick rather than anything that's likely to make it better. Although perhaps the lads will find something new to do with it that couldn't be done in a non-live format.

It won't necessarily make it "better", but the fact it's live means any mistakes will be staying in, which is interesting in itself (as long as they don't fabricate them, Bottom Live style).  Plus their performances will probably have a slightly different energy which will be interesting too.  The fact the stakes will be higher is good, however you look at it.  And it is a natural step for them to take, with their fascination with television history and the fact televised dramas were mostly live before the 60s.

Plus the bonus features on any DVD release should be thorough and fascinating.  They're hopefully not the kind of people to put out an amended version (scenes reshot without mistakes etc) like happened with the 2005 Quatermass.  They love the nuances of their own work too much for that.

Brundle-Fly

phantom_power

I think they will include elements that can only be done if it is live (somehow...) or it will turn out not to be live and they will use the smokescreen of it being live to do something else (a la Ghostwatch)

godber

Quote from: Replies From View on June 20, 2018, 01:46:33 PM
the fact it's live means any mistakes will be staying in, which is interesting in itself (as long as they don't fabricate them, Bottom Live style). 

Surely something is going to go wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. No?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 19, 2018, 11:00:44 PM
Oh...what?! Now I found out. They kept that quiet.

I'd imagine that they're sold out at this point, unfortunately (I booked my tickets a month ago).  It's still worth giving it a go though.

It won't necessarily make it "better", but the fact it's live means any mistakes will be staying in, which is interesting in itself (as long as they don't fabricate them, Bottom Live style).  Plus their performances will probably have a slightly different energy which will be interesting too.  The fact the stakes will be higher is good, however you look at it.  And it is a natural step for them to take, with their fascination with television history and the fact televised dramas were mostly live before the 60s.

Plus the bonus features on any DVD release should be thorough and fascinating.  They're hopefully not the kind of people to put out an amended version (scenes reshot without mistakes etc) like happened with the 2005 Quatermass.  They love the nuances of their own work too much for that.

Yes, basically this.  The fact that it's a live broadcast makes it exciting in a unique way, that wouldn't otherwise exist if it were filmed as a pre-recorded show.  I don't consider it to be a mere gimmick, personally.

Quote from: phantom_power on June 20, 2018, 03:11:06 PM
I think they will include elements that can only be done if it is live (somehow...) or it will turn out not to be live and they will use the smokescreen of it being live to do something else (a la Ghostwatch)

Agreed.  That would seem to be pretty much a given with the boys, I should think.

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 20, 2018, 03:15:57 PM

Agreed.  That would seem to be pretty much a given with the boys, I should think.

Or is that just what they want us to think? Aaahhh

colacentral

Quote from: phantom_power on June 20, 2018, 03:11:06 PM

This is what I've been thinking. My guess is that the twist will be everyone breaking character and pretending Pemberton's been crushed by a stagelight or something, and it potentially not really being live to make it look more convincing. Might be too obvious though.

RenegadeScrew

And it is a natural step for them to take, with their fascination with television history and the fact televised dramas were mostly live before the 60s.

I didn't know that.  Why did they film most stuff live? 

Was it cheaper due to lack of need for tape, and that editing was pretty much non-existent anyway?  I'll be impressed if I'm close!

Replies From View

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on June 20, 2018, 09:27:20 PM
I didn't know that.  Why did they film most stuff live? 

Was it cheaper due to lack of need for tape, and that editing was pretty much non-existent anyway?  I'll be impressed if I'm close!

Pretty much.  Videotape wasn't used to prerecord dramas until the early 60s, so you'd get television dramas occasionally shot on film before broadcast but more commonly simply broadcast live. 

By the mid 50s they had perfected telerecording (which was basically just aiming a film camera at a live television screen) so that television drama could be repeated and sold overseas; that's why the live-broadcast Quatermass serials for example exist to this day, apart from episodes 3-6 of the first series (1953) which they didn't bother filming because they didn't think the technology was good enough yet.

This may be a good place to start if you're interested:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_television_drama#The_return_of_television_and_the_1950s

neveragain

Quote from: colacentral on June 20, 2018, 03:48:21 PM
This is what I've been thinking. My guess is that the twist will be everyone breaking character and pretending Pemberton's been crushed by a stagelight or something, and it potentially not really being live to make it look more convincing. Might be too obvious though.

Did you know they already did that with the online semi-fake commentaries for Series Two? That (and Devil of Christmas too) suggests to me they wouldn't do it again. But very excited to see what they're up to.

Replies From View

I'd actually prefer it if there were no twists along these lines (it seems inevitable but also so boring), and they simply did a genuine live broadcast.

It might seem a bland gimmick in itself, but think of anything else in television or film where it's been done in one take and you'll probably remember being impressed.

It would just be Good.

Custard

Maybe there'll be a twist that it's not live at all. And Pemberton suddenly appears next to you on the settee

shh

Prediction: the twist is it will be broadcast under the title Eastenders Live. The Queen Vic is famously no 9 Albert Sq. Phil Mitchell to give birth to a homunculus Dot Cotton.

Brundle-Fly

Could do a topical Inside No9 called The Sick Of It?

From The Guardian 22/8/2016

No 9 Downing Street: That's the boring property next to the security gates on the west side of Whitehall, the one that TV news crews never bother to film because it leads a quiet life. All this may change now that it is set to become Brexit HQ, David Davis's centre of Leave EU planning, or possibly of panic, plots and pique. No 9 used to be the office of the judicial committee of the privy council until that moved into the old Middlesex Guildhall along with the new-fangled supreme court in 2009. In recent years, it has been the office of the chief whip, though their official address remains No 12. But Davis, an old Whitehall hand, refused to be fobbed off with a base so far from Theresa May that it was almost in Wales. He has what he wants: his officials have a power address.

Malcy

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 23, 2018, 12:02:01 PM
Maybe there'll be a twist that it's not live at all. And Pemberton suddenly appears next to you on the settee

Dressed as Herr Lipp.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 23, 2018, 12:52:31 PM
Could do a topical Inside No9 called The Sick Of It?

From The Guardian 22/8/2016

No 9 Downing Street...

Ever since series 1 of Inside No.9, I've thought that this was almost a given for an episode premise.  Perhaps that's why they haven't done it though, because it's too obvious.

Captain Z

I think they threw away a great idea for an episode in the commentaries they did for series 2 on soundcloud. Maybe enough time has passed that they could work that idea into this live episode.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Captain Z on June 23, 2018, 03:16:14 PM
I think they threw away a great idea for an episode in the commentaries they did for series 2 on soundcloud.

I don't know why more people arent doing this, with the death of dvds this is a great way of carrying on doing extras. At the very least I'm suprised someone hasnt done a commentary on their series and then bunged a few adverts in it and released it as a podcast to make a few quid. Or even just charge for the commentaries, 99p a track, extremely low overheads, job done.