Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No.9 Live Halloween Special

Started by Malcy, June 19, 2018, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 23, 2018, 03:21:50 PM
I don't know why more people arent doing this, with the death of dvds this is a great way of carrying on doing extras. At the very least I'm suprised someone hasnt done a commentary on their series and then bunged a few adverts in it and released it as a podcast to make a few quid. Or even just charge for the commentaries, 99p a track, extremely low overheads, job done.

Yeah there's definitely a market in stuff like that. I tend to rip things from YouTube etc and put them in the same folders as their series as extras. There's a lot of DVD releases that just don't have enough good extras anymore.

Replies From View

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 23, 2018, 03:21:50 PM
I don't know why more people arent doing this, with the death of dvds this is a great way of carrying on doing extras. At the very least I'm suprised someone hasnt done a commentary on their series and then bunged a few adverts in it and released it as a podcast to make a few quid. Or even just charge for the commentaries, 99p a track, extremely low overheads, job done.

Bit cack to pay again for commentaries after you've bought the needlessly-vanilla DVD, though.  Why not include commentaries on DVDs anymore?

Commentaries with adverts would be annoying because they're meant to sync with the episodes.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on June 23, 2018, 03:59:45 PM
Bit cack to pay again for commentaries after you've bought the needlessly-vanilla DVD, though.  Why not include commentaries on DVDs anymore?

Commentaries with adverts would be annoying because they're meant to sync with the episodes.

Vanilla DVDs tend to be cheaper than extra laden releases. I own a lot of DVDs but I rarely if never listen to commentaries. I wish more would do those Information Text subtitles that you get on Classic Who releases. I've used them a bit.

Then again, I watched the whole first series of Curb with the French audio. Stoned to the max. I don't have my priorities right when it comes to extras.

I find commentaries to be somewhat interesting but at times extremely boring. I can see the appeal but I'd rather they were more like a podcast that you could listen to about the episode rather than during.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Replies From View on June 23, 2018, 03:59:45 PM

The reason stuff gets a vanilla release now is because no one is buying dvds because of Netflix and streaming in general, I dont think it because of a lack of demand for extras. A lot of stuff doesnt even get a release, especially if its an exclusive on one of these streaming channels. The only reason for a dvd to exist nowadays is because of the extras.  But you dont need to bother to release the series on dvd, which is expensive, if you just release audio commentaries like they did for Inside No 9, that would be very cheap to do, cheap enough that it could be released for free. And if you want to go down the monetization road than you can put adverts at the beginning of the podcast before it gets going, like every other podcast does.

St_Eddie

Whilst streaming services are absolutely the main reason behind the lack of demand for DVD and Blu-Ray releases.  The real reason why physical releases of films and TV shows so often lack extras is because of the cost of producing those extras.  Whilst it may seem like a no-brainer to plonk some audio commentaries on a disc because hey, how much does it cost to have a director sit and do a commentary?  The fact is that those commentaries have to be rated by the BBFC, separate to the film/TV series itself.  It costs money to submit them for a rating.  Combine that with the lack of demand for psychical releases in general and you have the real reason for a lack of extras.

A good example for this is with the Dave-era Red Dwarf discs.  Doug Naylor wanted to include commentaries but Dave told him it was a firm "no" because they didn't want to pay the required costs.  In response, Naylor has said that he plans to record some commentaries and release them for free online at some point.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 23, 2018, 07:49:23 PM

A good example for this is with the Dave-era Red Dwarf discs.  Doug Naylor wanted to include commentaries but Dave told him it was a firm "no" because they didn't want to pay the required costs.  In response, Naylor has said that he plans to record some commentaries and release them for free online at some point.

Thats what I mean really, its just going to be one or two people talking into a microphone for a commentary. You don't need the audio of the episode in the background so theres no rights issues, I'm suprised more people have dont it just for the love of it, it cant cost much to buy (or hire) a decent mic and sit in a quiet room. Some of the commentaries to Mr Show were done in Odenkirks house and that was a big group of people. I wonder how much it does cost to record a commentary, once you take away paying people to do it and rights issues? I bet its a small enough sum to rent a studio for an afternoon that you could make it back by selling the commentaries very cheaply or having a few adverts at the start. Sure, its not going to be a big money making exercise but it woild be a nice little thing for people who enjoy talking about this sort of stuff.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 23, 2018, 02:11:57 PM
Ever since series 1 of Inside No.9, I've thought that this was almost a given for an episode premise.  Perhaps that's why they haven't done it though, because it's too obvious.

You've made me feel proper 'route one' now. : (

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 23, 2018, 08:47:59 PM
You've made me feel proper 'route one' now. : (

No need.  I was just spitballing as to why the boys haven't done that episode as of yet, despite it seeming like a perfect setup for a story.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 23, 2018, 09:22:39 PM
No need.  I was just spitballing as to why the boys haven't done that episode as of yet, despite it seeming like a perfect setup for a story.

I guess it is a bit on the nose with the number nine aspect.  I want a Saunton Sands beach hut No9 episode. Apparently, you could rent a five-bedroom house in Leeds for less.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Quote from: olliebean on June 19, 2018, 10:55:33 PM
Ghostwatch possibly being the exception as it used the format of a live broadcast so didn't suffer from being actually live, but it probably would have worked just as well recorded as-live

Ghostwatch wasn't a live broadcast, it was filmed a few months before it went out.

I've got to admit that there is a certain something about a live episode in this day and age.  There's no reason why it should be particularly exciting as the same kind of thing is taking place on stages in theatres all over the world.  My guess and concern here is that they'll go for something that can't be fucked up, and that rather than there being any massive twists involving the format, it'll be a 'let's make it to the finish line' kind of thing.

You're still dragging the whole thing down, Reese.

Malcy

Kryton

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kryton on October 28, 2018, 11:43:42 PM
Just watched it. Was excellent.

Head over to the other thread for all the fun and analysis