Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:47:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thread for Lurkers

Started by Puce Moment, June 19, 2018, 11:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

This is a thread just for lurkers.

Why do you lurk? Are you scared to participare? Can't be arsed?

How do you benefit from reading threads on the forum but not participating?

Captain Z

Richard Ashcroft thinks about posting then leaves thread

Petey Pate

Mainly can't be arsed to write long, well thought out posts. That and I'm usually reading the forum when I'm supposed to be doing something else. Often feel that I have little to add to what's already been said or been better expressed elsewhere. My memory of personal anecdotes is also terrible.

Because I have another account

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 19, 2018, 11:22:12 PM
Mainly can't be arsed to write long, well thought out posts. That and I'm usually reading the forum when I'm supposed to be doing something else. Often feel that I have little to add to what's already been said or been better expressed elsewhere. My memory of personal anecdotes is also terrible.
i always like seeing your avatar pop up

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You don't have to write long, well thought out posts. Just stick to concise but highly informative and amusing soundbites. Like this one.

Scuba Diver

I've just got nothing of interest to say.

AliasTheCat

I am often nervous about posting, but in all honesty I couldn't tell you why. I was lurking here for years before I got an account, so perhaps it's just habit.

Buelligan

Aren't there times when you're just full of an opinion or answer on something?  Wouldn't it feel good to shout it from the rooftops, to skip naked in the sunlight not giving a one-fingered salute for the sensibilities of others?  Sure, you have to gird yourself for the slings and arrows of peevish humanity, shrug it off I say, let them roil in their own bitter juices, let it all out and POST!

I also like your posts Petey Pete and miss your input.  Just saying that.

Consignia

I would post more but I usually get half-way through an attempt; find a typo or something earlier, and just think fuck it and sack it off.

Most likely circling the herd, waiting to pick off stragglers.

Bastards, all of them.

Buelligan

Quote from: Consignia on June 20, 2018, 08:25:32 AM
I would post more but I usually get half-way through an attempt; find a typo or something earlier, and just think fuck it and sack it off.

Are you carving them into the native granite?  If so, just post it anyway, who care's?

See how bold I am?

thenoise

I just love my Christmas Dreamstone avatar, so any excuse to have it in any thread is worth wading through whatever tedious garbage I have to contribute.

I am not a lurker, this thread is not for me, but fuck it.

FalseRodHull

Often feel that I have little to add to what's already been said or been better expressed elsewhere.

AliasTheCat

Quote from: Buelligan on June 20, 2018, 08:00:22 AM
Aren't there times when you're just full of an opinion or answer on something?  Wouldn't it feel good to shout it from the rooftops, to skip naked in the sunlight not giving a one-fingered salute for the sensibilities of others?  Sure, you have to gird yourself for the slings and arrows of peevish humanity, shrug it off I say, let them roil in their own bitter juices, let it all out and POST!

I'd rather have a cup of tea, but okay.

Consignia

Quote from: Buelligan on June 20, 2018, 08:42:17 AM
Are you carving them into the native granite?  If so, just post it anyway, who care's?

See how bold I am?

Logically, I see your point. But I just see it as moment of emotional self reflection, and feel it's not an interesting enough point to spend any more energy on.

I suppose fuck it, post is a mentality that's probably with adhering to.

Buelligan

That's the spirit, old bee!

GMTV

Been lurking since the early to mid 00's and I can barely even summon a response to this thread. I'd like to contribute more but I just don't have the time or the mental energy to do it justice.

Icehaven

Isn't this like having a party for introverts?
Anyway I'm now yet another non-lurker interloping on this thread so I'll sod off.

Jockice

kitsofan34

#pops out from underneath a crag. looks to the left, then, naturally, the right. gingerly tip toes onwards#

(cough)

............hi.

#scurries back underneath the aformentioned crag#

Space ghost

Usually only visit the site when I'm in a bad mood and want to distract myself so it seems unfair to inflict that on people who are doing me a favour.

Buelligan

I enjoy your apparitions (and the fact that you might say something a little piquant).  You have the perfect username.

Kinelle

Also a long time lurker. Been popping in and out of here for over a decade before finally getting an account and yet still remaining all lurky in the shadows because.... well... it just... look, I don't know. I've come to know this place well in all its phimotic glory and I'm far more interested in what you've all got to say than anything I could add. Although judging by some discussions, maybe adding another ladycabber (...?) voice wouldn't exactly upset the balance (I'm not follically challenged either, won't someone think of the demographics!). It's been so long that if I was to break the extensively built-up silence, I feel it would require writing a post so epic, so gorgeous, so legendary, in order to say hello. This is clearly not it.

But I'll say hello anyway, it feels dirty.

smudge1971

I lurked for ages, made one post and then carried on lurking. I wish I had carried on just lurking since the only post that hasn't passed like ill wind was one that offended/upset someone. I don't have the energy these days to sit arguing with a shit made-up name so I might chip in occasionally from the cheap seats but prefer to stay under radar.

The Lurker

A thread just for me. Thank you very much.

Golden E. Pump

I was forced to lurk for a year or so whilst new memberships were illegal. Now I'm an alien, but very much a legal alien.

Puce Moment

For me, I am a lecturer/researcher/writer and pretty much manage my own time. However, I have virtually no will-power and will find just about anything to procrastinate.  I have found myself reading an entire Wikipedia entry for something I genuinely have no interest in just to avoid doing work. Because of that, I have to remove all procrastination tools from my life - I have uninstalled videogames, removed Facebook and Twitter as bookmarks, and often find myself having to unplug my internet to get work done.

CAB has been a very efficient procrastination tool for me in the past - in fact you can see my busiest periods here clustered around work deadlines. Sometimes it's hard, and I feel compelled to reply to people experiencing problems. For instance, Tookish's problems at her Uni. But I have to resist the urge as it could easily spiral. For me it is like a drug that I have to control, except procrastination is a whily beast, and as you close down one avenue, another will pop up. It is more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CmeDu7K7f4

And of course, without wanting to be all meta about it, you might have realised by now that I have a deadline due, hence me starting this thread. In fact, it was due yesterday and I have had to get a week extension.

But being a lurker means I get to read about films, tv shows and books that I might otherwise miss. That is what always keeps me coming back.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 20, 2018, 12:37:22 PM
I was forced to lurk for a year or so whilst new memberships were illegal. Now I'm an alien, but very much a legal alien.

I was forced to lurk for five years because I had chosen such a shit username I felt mortified to actually let it be seen.

manticore

Quote from: Buelligan on June 20, 2018, 08:00:22 AM

Yes but opinions are so often so much bound up with ego assertion and then ego-battles and all the slings and arrows that you mention and I can totally understand why people don't want to get involved with all that, especially as one can be so easily complicit in it and find oneself doing the wounding.