Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thread for Lurkers

Started by Puce Moment, June 19, 2018, 11:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Jesus

Because there's no fucking point in posting if you're not already in the in-crowd here.

Finally plucked up the courage, so thanks to whoever started this thread. Damn, it feels great just to put this out there finally. Get ready for a lot more from me. I can feel momentum building.

bomb_dog

838 posts since April 2004. That's 60 posts a year, or 5 a month. Does that count as lurking or just blummin' lazy given I'm on here reading most days?

MiddleRabbit

I posted a couple of times but decided that I was more interested in what other people had to say, so I just read now.

Carry on, don't mind me.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Fat Jesus on June 20, 2018, 05:52:59 PM
Because there's no fucking point in posting if you're not already in the in-crowd here.

Look on the bright side. You could have posted almost 5000 times over the past 14 years and still end up killing threads left, right and centre.

I just want everyone to have a nice time.

Most Online Today: 259. Most Online Ever: 1403 (October 25, 2012, 02:02:35 PM)

What actually happened?

Not philosophically, just generally.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That was the date the world was going to end in the Mayan calendar. People just gathered together in solidarity to post dick pics, because they thought there wouldn't be a tomorrow to be embarrassed about it in.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on June 21, 2018, 02:53:55 AM
Most Online Today: 259. Most Online Ever: 1403 (October 25, 2012, 02:02:35 PM)

What actually happened?

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,60299.msg3142161.html#msg3142161

edit - the previous answer was better

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

mothman

This thread just makes me wish I'd put more time, effort and thought into choosing my username.

Paul Calf

[tag]Whiiiite font face for lurkers[/tag]

nugget

My loyalty lies with another forum and I'm a one-forum guy.

I'd probably read/post a bit more here if there was a mobile version of the site, since most of my forum reading tend to be away from the PC.

Buelligan

Quote from: manticore on June 20, 2018, 03:54:26 PM
Yes but opinions are so often so much bound up with ego assertion and then ego-battles and all the slings and arrows that you mention and I can totally understand why people don't want to get involved with all that, especially as one can be so easily complicit in it and find oneself doing the wounding.

But obviously, if we all allow that train of logic to overcome all opposition and impose its silence, CaB ceases, conversation and exchange of ideas cease and we all sit quiet on our meek little mushrooms keeping our light bulbs to ourselves.  This doesn't seem like a positive thing to me.

Not to mention the possibility that some people may find great joy or at least some noticeable pleasure (and give it too) by sharing their thoughts. 

Better to take arms against a sea of troubles if pushed or at least be prepared for it and realise when and if it comes, it's almost certainly not a judgement, more a fact of human nature and the internet.  That's my advice anyway.

New Jack

Quote from: Fat Jesus on June 20, 2018, 05:52:59 PM

This is why I lurked for years and secretly wish I was still lurking!

Let the meritocracy dawn. (goes off to threadshit)

Crabwalk

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 20, 2018, 06:03:49 PM
Finally plucked up the courage, so thanks to whoever started this thread. Damn, it feels great just to put this out there finally. Get ready for a lot more from me. I can feel momentum building.

It was this post by you that teased me out after 5+ years of lurking way back:

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 26, 2007, 05:10:46 PM
I'm a big mouth but I think reading and not posting is the work of insecure, voyeuristic social cripples.

You were right!

Schnapple

I suppose I am simply in the habit of just reading, for starters. But, thinking about it, a lot of the most prolific, notable posters here have more to say on most everything than I can keep up with. It's difficult to compete with anything original or amusing. Of course, that's what it makes it such a good read.

pancreas

I think we should try to arrange ddos attacks on lurkers, or, if we can find out where they live, real attacks. Then they'll be sorry and post. #postordielurkerscum

Gregory Torso

Just post, it matters not. Go into HS Art, pick a random thread and post "£2.99, Poundland". See how good it feels. Again. "£3.99, Asda". It works.

Try a thread in Oscillations, something like "List bands you think are SHIT (not a list thread)". See the replies! Away you go!

Get on up to General Bullshit and spread a glorious thread on topics such as "Times you got called a cunt (for no reason)", "Times you called a cunt a cunt (for good reason)" or perhaps something more juicy like "Things I have shoplifted from supermarkets and am proud of" or "Does B&Q still exist?".

It's all fine. Get in the pool.

pancreas

That's right. Get in the pool, or die on the sun loungers. What's it gonna be, punk?

Buelligan

I don't think there should be a comma after "pool" but it's not set in stone.  Just felt obliged to mention it, no offence.

Would post a lot more, but it just takes me so long to write anything. Like, texting a friend to ask how they are takes me ages. I'm not someone who could ever use social media in a fast-paced, witty way. (I'm not especially sad about that, it doesn't seem to make people happy).

Posting on here, what strikes me as an idea for a post, is usually, I realise when I try and write, three separate ideas that I can't immediately separate, and sometimes two separate sides of an argument that I can't separate either- so, if I bother attempting it, the posts get a bit convoluted and boring, and while I enjoy luxuriating in the ideas I realise that that's not quite what's required for interesting, punchy writing. That's not a morose lack of self-confidence talking, just the voice of someone who loves reading good writing.

Do love reading you all, though.

Crabwalk

It is a case of practice, though. Generally, you become a better poster over time, so have a crack and don't fret too much. I post infrequently now so have become pretty rubbish, but the days when I'd post a lot more, enter Wimblewrong and be involved with CaB radio were great fun. It's a worthwhile way to waste your time.

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on June 21, 2018, 10:36:12 AM
I don't think there should be a comma after "pool" but it's not set in stone.  Just felt obliged to mention it, no offence.

I did consider it, but I didn't want people thinking that they had to get in the pool or die independently of still being on the sun loungers. They could have shoved the sun loungers into the pool in the pursuit of avoiding death and staying on the sun loungers, which I'm not keen on, since someone has to fish the fuckers out (the sun loungers).

Dex Sawash

mrpupkin

I was only in it for the karma

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: New Jack on June 21, 2018, 09:53:22 AM
This is why I lurked for years and secretly wish I was still lurking!

Let the meritocracy dawn. (goes off to threadshit)

I'm surprised about the whole in-crowd thing, I've always thought CaB is pretty welcoming to newcomers unless they're ridiculously irritating (your swayzetrains, for example).

And I've been really enjoying your posts New Jack, so hope you do stick around.

New Jack

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 21, 2018, 03:00:28 PM
I'm surprised about the whole in-crowd thing, I've always thought CaB is pretty welcoming to newcomers unless they're ridiculously irritating (your swayzetrains, for example).

And I've been really enjoying your posts New Jack, so hope you do stick around.

Aww!

To elaborate on that post, I think any forum over time gets 'regulars' and it's only natural they overlap and create their own jokes etc. So it's initially a bit dense from the outside, not as a reader, or even from a perspective of enjoyment, but joining in meaningfully.

But anyone on the fence should give it a go, dive the fuck in. HS Art is great, I took the 'photo shop' bit a bit too literally for ages so foolishly avoided it and the gems it contains, but you can shitpost there and claim its your sense of humour!

The Lurker

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on June 21, 2018, 02:53:55 AM
Most Online Today: 259. Most Online Ever: 1403 (October 25, 2012, 02:02:35 PM)

What actually happened?

*CAB after October 25, 2012*

"What happened here? Lightning hit the transmitter?"
"See, that's what I thought at first, but then- Hey, shut up!"