Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,363
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lists that have helped your musical life

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 20, 2018, 04:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Back in 1993, Melody Maker did an "A-Z of Grunge" which got me into all sorts of bands (Big Black, Melvins, etc.) that I'd never heard of before. It was on the back of a Faith No More poster, as I recall.

Yesterday, I read this list that I emailed myself months ago - https://theartofmemory.blogspot.com/2012/11/one-hundred-classic-minimalism.html - and just from a casual listen on Youtube, I already found a couple of artists who are chuffing brilliant.

Have you ever found a list someone else made which made your brains all excited with the previously unheard musical stuff contained within? Or made one that someone else liked?

Famous Mortimer

Bloody hell, I put this in the wrong sub-forum. Would you mind moving it if you're reading this, Barry Admin?

studpuppet

Back in 2005 or thereabouts, I did a deal with work and they bought me a MacBook Pro with a big hard disk, and at the same time I got a 2nd Gen 20GB iPod, that my CD collection barely dented. Casting around for ways of filling it, I bought this Q mag and it got me into quite a few genres I'd never even bothered with before.

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/q1001_songs.htm

At the same time I gathered together The Word's 100 Songs, which is a really enjoyable listen.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 20, 2018, 04:33:44 PM
Back in 1993, Melody Maker did an "A-Z of Grunge" which got me into all sorts of bands (Big Black, Melvins, etc.) that I'd never heard of before. It was on the back of a Faith No More poster, as I recall.

I had that poster! Wasn't it Kurt smashing a guitar on the other side?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 20, 2018, 09:52:52 PMBloody hell, I put this in the wrong sub-forum. Would you mind moving it if you're reading this, Barry Admin?

Barry won't be reading, he hates 'list' threads.

Howj Begg

Melody Maker's Unknown Pleasures book has some excellent essays, and it introduced me to The Soft Boys, Gene Clark, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, The Go-Betweens, Led Zep's Presence, More Specials, A Wizard A True Star... definitely helped to form some of my aesthetics for rock music way back when it came out in 1995.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pleasures-Great-Lost-Albums-Rediscovered/dp/B003DRCOEW

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Howj Begg on July 01, 2018, 01:55:29 AM
Melody Maker's Unknown Pleasures book has some excellent essays, and it introduced me to The Soft Boys, Gene Clark, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, The Go-Betweens, Led Zep's Presence, More Specials, A Wizard A True Star... definitely helped to form some of my aesthetics for rock music way back when it came out in 1995.

Seconded (although I'd swap Led Zep for the Microdisney/Fatima Mansions double bill). I still haven't listened to all of the albums, but none of them have disappointed so far. Maybe I should give Presence a go.

Mr Farenheit

The MOJO top 100 albums of all time. Spent a few years tracking various stuff down. It was all a bit more exciting without YouTube or napster type resources. Just going on someone's description of the music. Was particularly  pleased to eventually find The Zombie Odyssey and Oracle and a Beach Boys Surfs Up as they were deleted at the time... 2 or 3 years of searching in second hand shops, I eventually found the zombies album the same day as I got my first 'proper' job after months of searching.

Shoulders?-Stomach!