Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:19:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Friday Night Get Shafted By The Bank

Started by St_Eddie, June 20, 2018, 05:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Knowing that I was going to my parents this Sunday past, I decided to stop by an ATM late Friday night and withdraw all of my money (£230).  I put my card into the ATM, enter my pin, check the balance (sure enough; just over £230), select to withdraw the cash, the machine whirs (that sound it makes as it's counting the money)... and it just keeps on whirring for around a full minute and then a message pops up on screen, telling me that 'this action could not be processed' and gives me back my card, without any cash.

Annoying but hey, I guess that this particular ATM is simply out of cash.  Nae bother but I better just check to make sure that it hasn't taken the money out of my account... IT ONLY HAS GONE AND DONE EXACTLY FUCKING THAT!  -£230, if you please and not a penny to show for it!

I had been planning on dropping into my local for a couple of drinks before closing time (it was 10:30pm when I used the ATM) but that was now scuppered because I was without the means to buy any fucking drinks, thanks to this thieving bastard of an ATM.

I walk home in a foul mood and wake up early Saturday morning to walk into town and explain to my bank what's happened.  They tell me that I'll have to fill out a claim and that this claim will be sent to head office to be investigated.  I ask when I can expect to be reimbursed.  "A few days probably" is the reply.  A few fucking days!  Well, that was my planned drinking session with my friends that Saturday night out of the window.  You know, my last chance to see my mates, prior to departing to my parents the next day (where I'd be staying for the next 2 weeks, as I currently am as I type this).

MONDAY (The Shining style title card with accompanying dramatic musical sting): I check my balance at an ATM.  -£230.  Yes, still fucking minus!  Fuck's sake!

WEDNESDAY (today): No fucking refund yet again!  What if I weren't staying at my parents right now?!  I'd have no money for food or anything!  Give me my FUCKING money, you thieving bastards!  Anyway, so earlier I phoned up my bank's head office and spoke to a lady there.  I explained the situation and told her that I'd put a claim in on Saturday.  She puts me on hold and then comes back to tell me that "yes, your claim is being investigated and it may take up to 19 days for them to reach a decision""19 days?!  Outrageous!", I exclaimed.  "That's all the money I have!""I'm sorry, Sir but that's how long it takes.  I'm sure that they explained this to you when you put your claim in", she presumptuously replies.  "No.  No they did not", I angrily respond.

So, I guess that I have to wait until the 5th of July to see if my money is returned or not.  My parents have said that they'll help cover my living expenses until then but they SHOULDN'T FUCKING HAVE TO!  Furthermore, upon online investigation, it seems that there's plenty of people who are refused a refund, despite being entitled to it.  If my bank DARES to call me a liar and tell me that I received my money, then I'm gonna go fucking postal down at their head office.

The Financial Ombudsman shall hear about this.  I'm fucking fuming!

Steven

Twed

Years and years ago I was shafted by Just-Eat, after they took payment for a 30 quid meal about five times. Drained my account into an unapproved overdraft, hitting me with bank fees. I was so enraged I got on Twitter and twitted them "Thanks to you, I just can't afford to eat!". I titter at the melodrama of that response sometimes.

I suspect there doing fuck all and just waiting for the money to bounce back from the elctronic no mans land. I bet its basically sitting in a pending hole and will get recredited once the system goes though its process. I've had several issues when working in store with double charge issues and such like and have been told that there is a similar waiting period for the bank to do this, it also explains why there can be issues with contactless payments as to speed up the transactions they are guranteed, but havn't actually cleared like you would do if you had put your pin it. So you can temporaily think you have more money then get to Tuesday and check your blaance to see all the weekend contactless payments have now all been deducted.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on June 20, 2018, 05:55:29 PM
I suspect there doing fuck all and just waiting for the money to bounce back from the elctronic no mans land.

I don't fucking doubt it.  Again, if I weren't staying at my parents, then I would literally have no money to buy food.  I would literally be starving right now.  Banks; what a bunch of fucking cunts!  Also, the ATM which fucked me over was a Lloyd's one.  I've never loved Noel Edmonds more than I do right now.

QDRPHNC

This happened to me. I was at a shitty ATM in a convenience store and the $200 I was trying to withdraw got jammed somewhere up its own guts.

Convenience store man shrugged his shoulders and said, "Not my machine, boss." Then he wrote down the phone number of the owner.

A quick google of the number turned up his name. From there I was able to find the Facebook pages of him and his children.

Long story short, I was refunded in full.

Steven

What about when a machine just eats your card apropos of fuck all, why does that happen? Happened to me at Tesco once, and it's a massive fucking inconvenience, having to ring up and get another one issued and having to lend money off mates on a night out, happened to my Dad the other day too. Card gobbling cunts.

Paul Calf

A few years ago, £750 went missing from my sister's NatWest account and when she went in to the bank to complain, they told her it was tough shit. They threatened to call the police if she didn't leave the bank.

She never saw the money again.

Banks are shitheads with too much power and no accountability.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Blame your government. They are the reason shyster financial 'institutions' are allowed to operate in your country. It's all in the terms and conditions.

Icehaven

This is why I rarely use ATMs unless they're attached to a bank and it's open, otherwise I just pay with my card or get cashback if I really need cash.
And is there any creature stupider than the person who was waiting behind you to use an ATM, sees you having a problem with it, you turn around and tell them it's just messed up and either nearly or actually has swallowed your card or is empty or whatever, and they just give a blank look and carry right on using it. They must either just think ''Hehe, they just don't have any money and are trying to save face'', but what if, what if, you smug twat, someone was just trying to help you? This has happened to me twice recently, Santander machine whirred away for over a minute saying PLEASE WAIT while I panicked slightly, then it finally regurgitated my card saying 'transaction cancelled' with no reason. I warned the woman behind me but sure enough she just went ahead and ignored me while I used the one next to it (which someone else had just used and said was working fine), and I left her going ''Oh come ONNNNN, PLEEEEASE!!'' at it as I walked away. 

Malcy

I'm confused. How can you have £230, request a withdrawal of £230 then check your balance later to find it at £-230?

Does that mean they've screwed you out of the original and further overdrawn you by another £230? It's not the TSB is it? And I think you need to find a new local. If i had gone into my local after being shafted by the ATM and explained they would have gave me beer and even a couple of quid to see me through. That's the mark of a proper local!

I paid £100 in to my account on Friday. It went in twice. Got excited but they whipped the error funds back out shortly afterwards. If the bank actually had an ATM in or outside it I would have been right out on the piss.

Also, what's the actual issue according to the bank? Surely they can check the machines data and even CCTV footage to see that you didn't receive the cash. Wouldn't stand for that mate. I'd be in branch and on the phone constantly until you get right on their wick and they speed up a resolution just to get rid of you. Worked for me!

BlodwynPig

edit: oops, poster above pointed this out

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 20, 2018, 09:23:37 PM
A few years ago, £750 went missing from my sister's NatWest account and when she went in to the bank to complain, they told her it was tough shit. They threatened to call the police if she didn't leave the bank.

She never saw the money again.

Banks are shitheads with too much power and no accountability.

Damn right. Nonsense institutions. I was until a few weeks ago with RBOS. Now they are basically fucked, the branch in Newcastle is now like an 80s doss house. No life, no energy, sad looking staff. The true character of banks exposed when the money runs dry. Their fakery dissipates when they have nothing to gain from you anymore.

Dex Sawash

We had a customer last week, $1500 repair to his shitheap. Paid with his girlfriend's debit card. He pulled the card out of the card reader too soon which aborted the transaction. We ran it again no problem. The bank put a hold on the funds from the aborted transaction and the poor girl has been without the $1500 for over a week now.

St_Eddie

THURSDAY: Still no fucking money in my account!

Quote from: Malcy on June 21, 2018, 12:21:53 PM
I'm confused. How can you have £230, request a withdrawal of £230 then check your balance later to find it at £-230?

Sorry, I could have made this clearer.  My actual current balance is -£190 (I have a £200 overdraft, which I've become so accustomed to using, that -£200 is essentially my £0.00).  When I typed -£230 in my original post, I meant that £230 had been taken from my account.

Quote from: Malcy on June 21, 2018, 12:21:53 PM...I think you need to find a new local. If i had gone into my local after being shafted by the ATM and explained they would have gave me beer and even a couple of quid to see me through. That's the mark of a proper local!

Aye, the landlord at my local is a fucking misanthropic miser.  He's often nasty to customers, particularly the regulars (you know, the people who are keeping him in business, as regulars must account for around 60% the pub's income).  He once said, without irony, "I'd love this job if it weren't for the customers".  He's a real-life Basil Fawlty, only nowhere near as likeable.  I'd get a new local but this pub is one of the few remaining traditional pubs in my home town (it's this is or Wetherspoons and the like).  More importantly, I've come to make many friends at my local with fellow regulars, so changing pubs at this point wouldn't merely be a change of location, it would also mean saying goodbye to 10+ people who I regard as mates.

Quote from: Malcy on June 21, 2018, 12:21:53 PM...what's the actual issue according to the bank? Surely they can check the machines data and even CCTV footage to see that you didn't receive the cash. Wouldn't stand for that mate. I'd be in branch and on the phone constantly until you get right on their wick and they speed up a resolution just to get rid of you. Worked for me!

I'm thinking of doing just that.  This "we're investigating it" bollocks is doing my head in.  Are you FUCK investigating it!  How long does it take Nationwide to check with Lloyds and confirm that I didn't receive any money?!  It's been 6 days now and they're telling me that it can take up to 19 days?  Fuck off, cunts.  I'm not fucking stupid, you know?!

I am also fully prepared for them to say "we won't be refunding your money, as we believe that you received it" in 19 days (something which happens a lot with Nationwide, if complaints online are anything to go by).  That's when I'll contact Financial Ombudsman (something which I want to do right now but I've got to wait 19 days for Nationwide to confirm that they intend to shaft me first).

Sebastian Cobb

I got credit card frauded Sunday. Got a text from the card people saying 'did you make a £200 purchase to this mob? text back no if you didn't' so I rang 'em in case it was a phish. It wasn't.

They only let one purchase - cinema tickets through before stopping my card. Quite impressive that they can catch that but not, say, me making purchases either sides of an international flight.

They were all quite polite and not sceptical either. Fucking glad it was my credit card and not my debit card though!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 21, 2018, 01:18:16 PM
They only let one purchase - cinema tickets through before stopping my card.

Were you able to ascertain which movie the thieving shits watched?  I hope that it was something really awful and that someone kicked the back of their seats the entire time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 21, 2018, 01:22:09 PM
Were you able to ascertain which movie the thieving shits watched?  I hope that it was something really awful and that someone kicked the back of their seats the entire time.

Nah, it just said the cinema and the location, somewhere in Essex but I can't remember where now.

I'm baffled as to how it happened though; I'd made a ticketmaster purchase a few hours beforehand but aside from that the card was just used on amazon and paypal online, no physical purchases for ages.

Steven

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 21, 2018, 01:15:31 PM
THURSDAY:
Aye, the landlord at my local is a fucking misanthropic miser.  He's often nasty to customers, particularly the regulars (you know, the people who are keeping him in business, as regulars must account for around 60% the pub's income).  He once said, without irony, "I'd love this job if it weren't for the customers".  He's a real-life Basil Fawlty, only nowhere near as likeable.  I'd get a new local but this pub is one of the few remaining traditional pubs in my home town (it's this is or Wetherspoons and the like).  More importantly, I've come to make many friends at my local with fellow regulars, so changing pubs at this point wouldn't merely be a change of location, it would also mean saying goodbye to 10+ people who I regard as mates.

I'm thinking of doing just that.  This "we're investigating it" bollocks is doing my head in.  Are you FUCK investigating it!  How long does it take Nationwide to check with Lloyds and confirm that I didn't receive any money?!  It's been 6 days now and they're telling me that it can take up to 19 days?  Fuck off, cunts.  I'm not fucking stupid, you know?!

I am also fully prepared for them to say "we won't be refunding your money, as we believe that you received it" in 19 days (something which happens a lot with Nationwide, if complaints online are anything to go by).  That's when I'll contact Financial Ombudsman (something which I want to do right now but I've got to wait 19 days for Nationwide to confirm that they intend to shaft me first).

Aye i get what you mean. When there's not a lot of choice and no proper boozers to go in to you're fairly stuck! I once led a revolt in a pub the day a new owner took over and told me that i couldn't sing the Scottish version of Bohemian Rhapsody as the last song of the night at karaoke. Something i had done for a long long time. It was tradition. About 15 people walked out with me and we never went back. Worth a try to see if he treats his regulars any better!

I'd even contact the Ombudsman now so as you might be able to get the ball rolling a bit earlier in case you don't get the money and also to see what they have to say about such a ridiculously long wait.  I'd be fuming if it as me.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on June 21, 2018, 01:35:10 PM
Aye i get what you mean. When there's not a lot of choice and no proper boozers to go in to you're fairly stuck! I once led a revolt in a pub the day a new owner took over and told me that i couldn't sing the Scottish version of Bohemian Rhapsody as the last song of the night at karaoke. Something i had done for a long long time. It was tradition. About 15 people walked out with me and we never went back. Worth a try to see if he treats his regulars any better!

Quite frankly, I don't think that I have the charisma, nor gumption to encourage my fellow regulars to revolt.

Quote from: Malcy on June 21, 2018, 01:35:10 PMI'd even contact the Ombudsman now so as you might be able to get the ball rolling a bit earlier in case you don't get the money and also to see what they have to say about such a ridiculously long wait.

I'm very tempted to phone the Financial Ombudsman tomorrow but do you think that they'll just tell me to wait the full 19 days to hear back from Nationwide?  I don't want to waste their time.

Quote from: Malcy on June 21, 2018, 01:35:10 PMI'd be fuming if it as me.

I'd be fuming if it were me too, which it is and I am.

Icehaven

What's particularly galling is that one reason they're probably taking so long and not treating it as if it's a priority is because due to the amounts banks typically deal in it's a less than negligible, virtually non-existent amount to them. Being £230 down for 19 days or more would barely or not remotely inconvenience a lot of people, so they just disregard the fact that for a lot of us (me included) it could potentially be every penny you've got.   

paruses

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 21, 2018, 01:47:44 PM
I'm very tempted to phone the Financial Ombudsman tomorrow but do you think that they'll just tell me to wait the full 19 days to hear back from Nationwide?  I don't want to waste their time.

They would at least be able to tell you if 19 days was reasonable and if there's any action the bank could or should take. They could also tell you

I had a duplicate transaction go through recently which was for a few thousand pounds. When I got a text alert to say I was 5K overdrawn and once I had got my breathing back under control I phoned them and they put me through to their disputed payments team who credited me with 5K and said they would open a case in the meantime. If all was Ok there would be a zero-ing transaction to rectify things.

That was Natwest. I think I am the only person who has good experiences with them.

St_Eddie

Quote from: icehaven on June 21, 2018, 02:16:31 PM
What's particularly galling is that one reason they're probably taking so long and not treating it as if it's a priority is because due to the amounts banks typically deal in it's a less than negligible, virtually non-existent amount to them. Being £230 down for 19 days or more would barely or not remotely inconvenience a lot of people, so they just disregard the fact that for a lot of us (me included) it could potentially be every penny you've got.   

Preciously!  I told the woman from head office that it was all the money that I had but no sympathy was offered., just a dispassionate "there's nothing I can do".  I think I even detected a slight annoyance from her when I exclaimed "outrageous!", after being told that it will take up to 19 days.  How very dare I, I guess.  Sorry for existing, Nationwide.

Quote from: paruses on June 21, 2018, 02:21:07 PM
They would at least be able to tell you if 19 days was reasonable and if there's any action the bank could or should take.

I think that I'll give them a ring tomorrow.  Cheers.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 20, 2018, 05:45:03 PM
check the balance (sure enough; just over £230)

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 20, 2018, 05:45:03 PM
I check my balance at an ATM.  -£230.  Yes, still fucking minus!

So you went from +£230 to -£230? That's a shift of £460. Or do you mean your balance was £0.00 which was minus the original amount? Or did you start with £0.00 and have an overdraft facility of £230? Either I'm confused or you've described that badly or both.

This is the type of thing where you have the right to make a stink about this and if you didn't have your folks to support you you'd be a lot more inclined to. I don't mean getting violent or anything but you'd have the right to go to a branch and refuse to leave without compensation. You're not on the dole making a claim, it's your money in the first place and they're directly fucking with your life by pissing about.

I don't remember you mentioning the bank, it wasn't Santander or HSBC by any chance? They have bad reputations.

paruses

Quote from: paruses on June 21, 2018, 02:21:07 PM
They would at least be able to tell you if 19 days was reasonable and if there's any action the bank could or should take. They could also tell you

Sorry if you've been hanging on for the end of that sentence - I was going to say they could also tell you what your options are should Nationwide prove to be utter bastards - might as well have a plan in your back pocket.

Wet Blanket

You could tell Nationwide would be slippery cunts just from those adverts with the two posh women who sing twee songs

St_Eddie

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 21, 2018, 03:51:41 PM
So you went from +£230 to -£230? That's a shift of £460. Or do you mean your balance was £0.00 which was minus the original amount? Or did you start with £0.00 and have an overdraft facility of £230? Either I'm confused or you've described that badly or both.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear.  I addressed this earlier in the thread...

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 21, 2018, 01:15:31 PM
Sorry, I could have made this clearer.  My actual current balance is -£190 (I have a £200 overdraft, which I've become so accustomed to using, that -£200 is essentially my £0.00).  When I typed -£230 in my original post, I meant that £230 had been taken from my account.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 21, 2018, 03:51:41 PMI don't remember you mentioning the bank, it wasn't Santander or HSBC by any chance? They have bad reputations.

It's Nationwide.  There seems to be quite a few people online who've had the same problem with Nationwide and worryingly, after the investigation was complete, they were told that they won't be getting their money back because they "already received it at the ATM", when they absolutely didn't.  If they try that shit on with me, then I'll be going to my local paper, to see if they're interested in writing an article about it and possibly even protesting with a picket outside of my local branch and telling others not to bank with Nationwide.

Quote from: paruses on June 21, 2018, 04:16:32 PM
Sorry if you've been hanging on for the end of that sentence - I was going to say they could also tell you what your options are should Nationwide prove to be utter bastards - might as well have a plan in your back pocket.

Haha, I did wonder why the sentence suddenly cut off.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll give them a ring tomorrow and report back.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on June 21, 2018, 04:45:29 PM
You could tell Nationwide would be slippery cunts just from those adverts with the two posh women who sing twee songs

Unfortunately, I hadn't seen that advert before looking it up just now.  If I had, then I would have cancelled my account immediately and opened another one with a different bank.  Sadly, the advert flew below my radar and now I'm fucked.

Sebastian Cobb

I've had several occasions where banks have denied me access to my money despite being well in the black and not doing anything remotely dodgy.

My advice would be to not put all your eggs in one basket. Have another account somewhere with another bank and card provider or get a credit card. It's worth getting the latter if you can for online purchases anyway. See my earlier post. If that was a debit card they Could've emptied my account and the bank would've frozen everything meaning I couldn't pay rent and could be potentially be put out in my arse.

Malcy

The Nationwide adverts can get to fuck. So bad that the people in them were getting death threats!