Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Paul McCartney single and upcoming album 'Egypt Station'

Started by Nowhere Man, June 20, 2018, 11:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

Two new tracks have been released from Macca's upcoming album, Egypt Station:

I Don't Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aef2eV7GmQw

Come On To Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJLrtFY7Ds&t=2s

My thoughts:

I Don't Know -
Didn't impress me on the first listen, sounding kind of plodding. By the second listen it came together more, a classic McCartney bass line, very much a Chaos and Creation/Driving Rain hybrid. (think 'From A Lover To a Friend or 'This Never Happened Before')
Not an obvious single choice by any means, but a definite grower of a track.

Come On To Me -
The more immediate track on first listen, but not really sure of the replay value. It seems to pick up when the horns come in, which gives it a definite Wings vibe circa 1976. But I do wish there were a few more melodic twists in the song. The weaker of the two tracks.

Neither song is going to set the world on fire, but it's always a gift to have a Beatle still here after all these days delivering fairly solid, uncompromising pop tunes. It's easy to have a moan and say his voice isn't brilliant anymore or his new songs are a bit inconsequential. but considering he's a few years away from 80 and after all the big musician deaths in recent years it's nice to have Macca still knocking out some tunes in this day and age.

rue the polywhirl

Not another one of these macaque threads. I've had enough, please. I'm macacque-knackered.

SteveDave

Both sound like the words "Paul McCartney Ballad" and "Paul McCartney Rocker" have been input into a super computer that has used technology to create them.

Rocket Surgery

Nobody's given a fuck the last 3 or 4 times I've posted this, so why not post it again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4EcRPlaXoQ

DrGreggles

Just out of interest, what's the last decent Macca song?
Not even great, just decent.

SteveDave

"Ever Present Past" from "Memory Almost Full" for me.

I'd say that was great.

The last LP had some "decent" songs.

DrGreggles

Wet Blanket

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 21, 2018, 10:38:14 AM

I have to admit I liked that one he did with Rihanna and Kanye West

biggytitbo

Alligator is great. On my way from work is nice too. New has a handful of really good songs.

Nowhere Man

Chaos and Creation is the best album he's made since the 70s, and that was made in 2005.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on June 21, 2018, 09:40:14 AM
Nobody's given a fuck the last 3 or 4 times I've posted this, so why not post it again?

I liked the link the second time you posted it. x

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 21, 2018, 07:11:59 PM
Chaos and Creation is the best album he's made since the 70s, and that was made in 2005.

I rather liked Memory Almost Full though and that was two years later.

It amuses me that so many of his songs of the last thirty years have reflected on his fading youth and the very distant past. I wonder if he will eventually compose a song reminiscing about the day's shoot on the Spies Like Us promo video?

grassbath

I love Macca, but these are pretty shocking. I was lukewarm on New but at least it felt like he was trying.

non capisco

'Pledge.MeatFreeMondays.com'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA4P6htAGDE

'You can do it right now pleeeeeazzzzze'

Beagle 2

What could 70-odd year old Paul McCartney do that would please people? Like everyone's always having a go at him for being sad, but what would be your ultimate way for him to be?

I dunno I feel like people are always HAHAHAHA 70-ODD YEAR OLD PAUL MCCARTNEY WHAT A TWAT but then I wonder if their top buzz version of 70-odd year old Paul McCartney is all that.

Shaky

Haven't listened to these yet but you have to hand it to McCartney, not many rock/pop musicians his age are still churning out music on a regular basis and still enjoying the whole process. Sure, it's all a bit warped by the 50-year fame prism when it reaches our ears but that's not his fault. Plus, it's impressive that he doesn't seem to be a total bell-end. Naff, maybe, but not a prick.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 21, 2018, 07:11:59 PM

That's the one I was thinking of, not Flaming Pie.
Yes, it was pretty good.

biggytitbo

Memory Almost Full is better, and more McCartney-esque, than Chaos and Creation. New is like Memory Almost Full but will less good songs on it.

SteveDave

I made it through 6 minutes of Carpool Karaoke before Corden's face singing "Let It Be" lead to me being hospitalised.

biggytitbo

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 22, 2018, 07:57:29 AM
That's the one I was thinking of, not Flaming Pie.
Yes, it was pretty good.

Mr Bellamy is one of his best songs without 'since' qualifiers.

grassbath

Though not exactly adventurous, 'I Don't Know' has grown on me - I think the problem was the lyric video. If there's anything that doesn't help a McCartney song endear itself to you, it's brightly coloured stickers with wacky fonts appearing to hammer in every single corny line. 'Come onto Me' is still pretty bad though. Why is a 75 year old man bellowing about coming onto anyone?

biggytitbo

I thought that song might seem a bit 'problematic' in the metoo Er, but it's his usual earworm. I actually think a lot of Paul's new songs would be a lot better with someone younger singing them, who could lend them the energy they deserve. That come on to you song is a case in point, I reckon that could be a proper hit if he gave it to someone else.

That carpool karaoke think is great btw, despite Corden. Even heard a couple of Macca stories I'd not heard before, which is a rare thing these days.

biggytitbo

I enjoyed this vanity fair review

QuoteLater, the two paid a visit to the flat where McCartney lived as a teenager. After introducing himself to the home's current resident, McCartney offered Corden a guided tour that hit all the highlights—including the water closet within which he often practiced his guitar as a boy.

They must have a very dim view of Liverpool in America if they thought someone actually lived in that house in 2018.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on June 21, 2018, 09:40:14 AM

You'll get loads of LIKES at www.facebook.com if it's your bag y'know.

I liked that the first time you posted it, so fuck you Brundle-Fly

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 22, 2018, 12:10:46 AM
What could 70-odd year old Paul McCartney do that would please people?
Already be dead for 30-odd years?

Seems to have worked well for the other one.

holyzombiejesus

James Corden tears up at Paul McCartney's carpool karaoke

A special UK edition of Carpool Karaoke took an emotional turn as Sir Paul McCartney joined James Corden on a trip to Liverpool.

The Late Late Show host was joined by the singer as they drove past famous Beatles landmarks.

McCartney told how a dream, in which his mother told him to "let it be", inspired the song of the same name.

Corden said it was the "most beautiful story" he had ever heard, before singing a teary rendition of the song.

"Oh man, it got me emotional there," Corden said. "I didn't feel it coming."

Explaining why the story made him so emotional, Corden said: "I can remember my grandad, who was a musician, and my dad, sitting me down and saying, 'we're going to play you the best song you've ever heard'.

"And I remember them playing me that. If my grandad was here right now, he'd get an absolute kick out of this."

McCartney made it even more poignant when he told Corden: "He is."

During the drive, Corden told McCartney: "Your music is so full of positivity and joy and a message of love and togetherness, I feel like it's more relevant now today maybe than it's ever been."

As part of the video, the pair embarked on a journey around McCartney's hometown, visiting Penny Lane and his family home, which he saw for the first time in 50 years.

They then ended the visit with a surprise performance for a small crowd in a Liverpool pub.

Dr Rock

Nowhere Man

Corden always has to make it about himself, doesn't he? What a cunt he is.

holyzombiejesus

I didn't link to that article as it made me feel physically sick but there's a still from the 'surprise performance' that McCartney did and guess which cunt is on stage with him...

There's no need to call him a 'fat cunt', he's James Corden. I can't think of any insult worse or more cutting than actually being James Corden.

Replies From View

Quote"And I remember them playing me that. If my grandad was here right now, he'd get an absolute kick out of this."

McCartney made it even more poignant when he told Corden: "He is."

?

I assume he was in the boot or something.