Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Paul McCartney single and upcoming album 'Egypt Station'

Started by Nowhere Man, June 20, 2018, 11:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Oh lordy, Electric Arguments, what a fucking album!

grassbath

New song 'Fuh You'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYnI--eSbnc

From the title, and the opening bars, I was girding myself up for disaster. But I actually love this. He's clearly been actively listening to modern commercial pop and has set out to write and record something that could be a big chart hit in 2018, going whole hog on the production as well, and has achieved a successful and highly catchy emulation - at 76 years of age.

Now I hate Charlie Puth and all those cunts who would usually turn out something like this, so maybe this is just proof once and for all that I'll forgive McCartney anything, but I don't give a fuck. We should all be so lucky to be this unserious, un-self-conscious and creatively restless in our old age.

biggytitbo

Yes it starts off like a million other cookie cutter Macca songs but it becomes a bit of a stomper towards the end. Hearing Mccartney sing I wanna fuh you is just fuhing embaressing though, what was he thinking!

On a related note, mccartneys grandson (right) bears an absolutely eerie resemblance to him at the same age.

biggytitbo

Ha, I didn't get it was a joke, he's singing I want it fuh you, I just assumed it was a crap lyric as many of his are, but it's actually quite clever:

QuoteYou make me want to go out and steal/I just want it fuh you

TheMonk

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2018, 12:53:50 PM
Ha, I didn't get it was a joke, he's singing I want it fuh you, I just assumed it was a crap lyric as many of his are, but it's actually quite clever:
Sounds atrocious, I refuse to listen. Come Onto Me, Fuh You. What is he playing at?

biggytitbo

Feeling a bit horny the dirty old sod, but good luck to him.

SteveDave

I've heard the whole LP because I'm great. It's a bit all over the place.

Despite Repeated Warnings is the best thing he's done since Ever Present Past. It's (obviously) about Brexit but listening to it twice I can't figure out if he's pro or anti. It starts with lines like "The people who shout the loudest, may not be the smartest" and "What can we do to stop this foolish plan going through?" but it ends with a chorus of "The will of the people! The will of the people!"

biggytitbo

Quote from: SteveDave on August 18, 2018, 09:02:05 PM
I've heard the whole LP because I'm great. It's a bit all over the place.

Those are almost always the best mccartney albums.

Z

That new song is co-written by the OneRepublic guy and it REALLY shows imo

Rizla

It's fuhing awful, that new track. Him doing a song with THAT FUCKING chord sequence, now, in 2018, is like if he's done a macca rap in 1986 or something. It is brutal even by shit macca standards.

BlodwynPig

I can't say its too dissimilar from the plinky plonky Beatles songs like Octopuses Gardens. Sgt. Pepper for the Post-Millennials.

Maurice Yeatman

grassbath

This album is out. On the fence overall, but it's decent - a focus on stronger songs rather than heaping on the production tricks like on the last record. It's clear that the unrivalled melodic sensibility that you could always rely on has deserted him somewhat, but there are little bits of magic throughout. 'Happy With You' and 'Dominoes' to me are the clear standout.

biggytitbo

Have you noticed he's abandoned the horrible hair dye? Good move, it actually takes years off him to see his normal greying/white hair.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 15, 2018, 09:32:33 PM
Have you noticed he's abandoned the horrible hair dye? Good move, it actually takes years off him to see his normal greying/white hair.

Mark Gatiss summed it up best when he described Macca as looking like a dinner lady who coloured her hair with typewriter ribbon. I agree, he looks so much better with his natural colouring.

I can't forgive the fucker for having so much hair at that age, though. He's taking the piss.

biggytitbo

Yes the beatles inability to go bald is the only thing I truly despise about them.

I'm just watching this Google q and a thing he's doing as part of the promo tour for the new album, and I know he's perhaps the ultimate PR man, but god he's so effortlessly charming, funny and likeable. If it's all an act and he's actually a cunt who has disguised it for 60 years then good luck to him, he's the best actor ever.

Unlikely though, and I just don't get anyone who has a beef with an elderly man because he's not as good as he was when he was 22, or that he looks old, or that his voice has gone thin, of that he's not dead like John Lennon. What is wrong with these people? The man is a living legend and a national treasure beyond compare.

Hasn't the general consensus on Macca shifted quite considerably in the last ten years or so? His albums are reviewed positively, and most people tend to regard him with fondness and respect.

It's been quite a long time since I've heard the old 'cool Lennon vs cheesy Macca' argument. If anything, Lennon's stock has decreased, while Macca's has risen. Lennon was a great songwriter, but as more and more people have become aware that he was a bit of cunt, his mythical status as a peace-loving icon is less secure.

Macca, on the other hand, has been reappraised as the cool, versatile, experimental Beatle who was sincerely interested in musique concrete etc. I'm sure some lazy, boring people still sneer at him for being Sir Wacky Macca Thumbs Aloft who wrote The Frog Chorus (which is a fun, pleasant piece of music aimed at children; he wasn't trying to rewrite Let It Be), but I don't think that's the prevalent view nowadays.

biggytitbo

I dunno you still see the same facile opinions that a 76 year old man shouldn't be releasing music because he's too old, he's not 25 anymore, it's not as good as the beatles, it's not as good as wings, his voice has gone and a million other things.

I did like the review that stated you could draw up two lists - one of people writing pop songs in 1958 (Paul wrote Love Me Do in 1958), and one overlapping list of people still writing pop songs in 2018. And that list would only have one name on it - Paul McCartney. That is amazing by any stretch of the imagination, if not unprecedented really.

the science eel

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 15, 2018, 09:55:31 PM
I'm just watching this Google q and a thing he's doing as part of the promo tour for the new album, and I know he's perhaps the ultimate PR man, but god he's so effortlessly charming, funny and likeable. If it's all an act and he's actually a cunt who has disguised it for 60 years then good luck to him, he's the best actor ever.

My thoughts exactly.

There's actually a fuck of a lot of this stuff around suddenly - did you see him on Fallon? and the (really excellent) GQ interview? He comes across as a very open, honest, and (dare I say it?) lovable fella all-round.

biggytitbo

He's clearly someone who did it all right on the way and is now reaping the rewards in his final years. He's basically a nice man who has written upwards of a thousand catchy songs about nice things and gets to bask in his incalculable contribution to popular culture with the only blot on his copy book that he might have been a bit of a dick 50 years ago during the messy break up of the world's biggest band.

Quote from: the science eel on September 15, 2018, 11:44:11 PM
Here's the GQ i/view - might be the best I've ever read him do:

https://www.gq.com/story/the-untold-stories-of-paul-mccartney

Thanks for sharing that. Apologies if I was rude to you in that other thread, I was feeling tired and grumpy. My fault.

the science eel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 16, 2018, 12:40:31 AM
Thanks for sharing that. Apologies if I was rude to you in that other thread, I was feeling tired and grumpy. My fault.

No worries BoBB!

Dr Rock

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 15, 2018, 10:47:01 PM
I did like the review that stated you could draw up two lists - one of people writing pop songs in 1958 (Paul wrote Love Me Do in 1958), and one overlapping list of people still writing pop songs in 2018. And that list would only have one name on it - Paul McCartney. That is amazing by any stretch of the imagination, if not unprecedented really.

I've got one that's a year out, if she counts as 'pop'.

QuoteDolly Parton releases first single, "Puppy Love" at age 13 on Goldband Records. "Puppy Love," written by Dolly at age 11, along with her Uncle Bill Owens, was released by Goldband Records in 1959.

Wait, that means she wrote it in 1957? Dolly wins!

Nowhere Man

Looking to be his first US No. 1 album since 1982's, Tug of War! Seems like the marketing push he gave this album worked pretty well

biggytitbo

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 16, 2018, 09:57:54 AM
I've got one that's a year out, if she counts as 'pop'.

Wait, that means she wrote it in 1957? Dolly wins!

Paul and Dolly both have their knockers don't they? Kindred spirits in many ways.

Paul Simon's first self-penned single as 'Tom & Jerry' was released in 1957

ajsmith2

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 15, 2018, 10:33:14 PM
Hasn't the general consensus on Macca shifted quite considerably in the last ten years or so? His albums are reviewed positively, and most people tend to regard him with fondness and respect.

It's been quite a long time since I've heard the old 'cool Lennon vs cheesy Macca' argument. If anything, Lennon's stock has decreased, while Macca's has risen. Lennon was a great songwriter, but as more and more people have become aware that he was a bit of cunt, his mythical status as a peace-loving icon is less secure.

If anything, it's the 'well actually, Lennon wasn't all that' that's become the tiresome cliché over the last decade. I see it with young fans especially these days: I see them anti-eulogise and exaggerate Lennon's assholishness, laziness and unpolished approach to the point where the overall millennial fan opinion of him seems to be he was a  barely functional idiot savant and professional wanker being carried by the other 3. Yeah I get it, reparations and all that after years of him being deified ludicrously as the ultimate in deceased cool, but it just gets very silly. Nowadays I see people casually saying things like he 'wasn't a great singer' which is just patently bollocks. He's approaching Mike Love levels of casual denigration. Btw I like McCartney too so I don't think we should go back to the 80s/90s setup either. Why can't we celebrate both without the dumbo side-taking?

This is an amusing Onion piece which uses what a archetypally predictable standpoint the above has become this decade as the basis of it's humour:

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998