Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:47:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gruff Rhys - Babelsberg (and his solo stuff in general)

Started by DrGreggles, June 20, 2018, 11:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Bought Babelsberg today and, in addition to it being a great title to say, it's a bloody good album to listen to.
I think his solo output is improving with each release.

And I'll get to see him at the Fringe in August!

Hat FM

Love babelsberg. full of great songs and includes his usual wit in the lyrics.  i always think he will never better 'hotel shampoo' but we'll see if i prefer this one in six months

my current highlights are 'negative vibes' and 'architecture of amnesia'.

gutted i was away for his gigs  at rough trade east and the social last week.

Sgt. Duckie

Haven't heard Babelsberg at all yet but will try to over the weekend. Really enjoy all his other solo albums and projects. Perhaps the Tony Da Gatorra collaboration was a bit too strange for its own good, but I love the madness of In a House With No Mirrors from that album.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Hat FM on June 21, 2018, 12:35:51 PM
Love babelsberg. full of great songs and includes his usual wit in the lyrics.  i always think he will never better 'hotel shampoo' but we'll see if i prefer this one in six months

my current highlights are 'negative vibes' and 'architecture of amnesia'.

gutted i was away for his gigs  at rough trade east and the social last week.

Must check it out and yes, Hotel Shampoo is rather special. Funnily enough, I was only listening to this yesterday that Gruff samples for Shark Ridden Waters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJWsfhPmgws

NattyDread 2

The new one's sounding great on first listen. His last one managed to pass me by so I'll need to get on that too. I'd love to make it down for one of his festival gigs - apparently some sort of career retrospective, which will undoubtedly be tremendous.

Crabwalk

'Mel Gibson howls with rage / The worst Hamlet of his age'

I was lucky enough to receive this on vinyl for Father's Day and it's very promising after a few spins. I couldn't get into 'American Interior' at all and was concerned that Gruff's melodic gifts were on the wain. Not so, thankfully.

Not sure about his baritone on 'Frontier Man' though. Love the idea of him writing and recording a wry self-satirising country ballad in the vein of Lee Hazelwood, but his voice isn't quite rich enough to pull it off. Lovely arrangement though.

Loving this so far although I'm in agreement about the vocals on Frontier Man something slightly off about them.

Hat FM

Gruff was in my dream last night. he had a broken leg and let me hold his baby.

Head Gardener

DrGreggles

Gruff's new album 'Pang!' will come out 13th September.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 10, 2019, 11:00:35 AM
Gruff's new album 'Pang!' will come out 13th September.

And he's coming to Cambridge!

shiftwork2

Obviously a niche thread even on here but I've come late to Babelsberg and there are some lovely tunes.  The line 'like a tomcat runnin' in the rain' is my favourite gathering of words so far this year (last year).  Looking forward to the new album.  What a top bloke.