Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:44:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stath Lets Flats - Channel 4 - starts Wed 27th June

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, June 21, 2018, 01:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Just caught up with the first episode. It made me smile a few times and I quite enjoyed the energy of Demetriou's performance, but I can imagine that character quickly outstaying his welcome.

As others have said, he's just a one-note buffoon. Maybe his character will develop in later episodes, but I get the impression that broad farce will continue to dominate. Not that there's anything wrong with that per se, but as I didn't find it particularly funny, I don't think I can be bothered with much more of Stath just fucking things up for himself while everyone else looks annoyed.

Nice to see Katy Wix in there, but she doesn't have much to work with. Same goes for the late Alex Beckett, which is particularly unfortunate as that must've been his final television role.

wooders1978

Hmmm.
I'm slightly dissapointed by this as I am a bit of a Jamie and Natasia fanboy - I was looking forward to this but overall it's a bit flat - I also have this feeling it was made a while back but shelved until they raised their profile a bit? Dunno, but it feels a bit too amateur to me - I'll still watch and support it tho coz Jamie and natasia

Malcy

It's ok. I'll stick with it but it's more of a background thing for me.i think the performance is good though even if the material can be a bit ropey.

McQ

Is there nowhere to watch People Time online anymore? I bought it from the BBC Shop a while ago, but that closed, and they didn't allow you to download your purchases, so it's lost now! Such a shame that there was never a full series of that.

Utter Shit

Anyone still watching this? I'm an episode behind (just watched episode 3) but I'm really enjoying this now. It's very silly and it really does live or die on your opinion of Stath - though less so in the third episode when we see more of the rival agency, including Danny Sinclair from Alpha Papa - but I find myself laughing all the way through.

Jerzy Bondov

I'm watching it and enjoying it. I still laugh at the opening titles, especially when he sits on the sofa. I really liked that the rival agents turned out to be so over the top as well. It's not crazy funny Stath pitted against a load of normal people; pretty much everyone is off their nut. Including the guys renting a flat without even going inside to have a look.

Clownbaby

I might have to give this another chance.  It sounds like there might be some stuff happening now.

Utter Shit

My wife absolutely loves the titles, she loses it every time.

Big fan of "all radiators included" and Stath explaining that you have to sneaky with your descriptions of crap houses, using the example of describing a small bedroom as "not small".

Hecate

Yeah, I've stuck with it. I'm warming to it a lot. It's nice and daft. The football one last night was good fun.

wooders1978

Also enjoyed the football one last night - Its picking up steam now

Bad Ambassador

The obvious joke would be that Stath scores an own goal. Instead Stath scores five own goals. I enjoy that he's a cartoon idiot apparently lost in a world of grown-ups.

Utter Shit

Yeah when he scored that first own goal my initial reaction was "oh come on lads, too obvious"...then within about ten seconds I was in pain laughing as the own goals mounted up.

Bad Ambassador

Rather like the half-time dance display. You knew it was going to be terrible, but it was so incredibly shit I suspect the actors didn't rehearse at all and just made it up on the take, each trying to copy the other's movements.

Utter Shit

Thought last night's episode was a bit of a downturn after the previous two, which were brilliant. I don't think it does pathos particularly well, and this episode tried to fit a lot in. Plenty of funny moments though, Stath insisting on calling the pedalo a ship was great, and that weird highlight reel of him drinking water while angry killed me.

j_u_d_a_s

After sticking with this every week, I've come to the conclusion that the biggest problem with this series is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. There are moments of high absurdity (like Stath scoring 5 own goals, then going on a drinking binge of bottled water) but these are lost in a pale imitation of The Office's everyday tedium. The first couple of episodes are pure sitcom but the last 3 have been reaching towards drama with continuing plots that feel contrived (Carol sleeping with Stath for example)

The moments of pathos from the last couple of episodes just don't work because they rely on you buying into a one note character. His sister failing her course because she was rubbish isn't that big a shock because we've been told and shown she's rubbish throughout the show. Bob's Burgers has a whole family who are rubbish at their passions but they press on regardless and are made even more endearing because of this. We're 5 episodes in now and all we really know about Stath is he's rubbish but wants to manage his dads business despite showing no enthusiasm for it.

To be brutally honest, this encapsulates my frustrations with this crop of comic performers. Self indulgent and has nothing to say.

Malcy