Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Endless

Started by Custard, June 21, 2018, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 05, 2018, 04:41:50 PM
Only thing I felt a bit let down by, was ( not really seeing "it" apart from some swirling mashing up effects, not that I want a big monster or anything, just could've been a bit more there. )

The less you see, the scarier it is. Fear of the unknown. I appreciated that a lot.

SteveDave

I saw Resolution last night and loved it. It was only about 50 minutes into the film I realised the film burns were deliberate.

The lead actors were great especially the crackhead David O'Doherty.

Bazooka

Watched this last night(well last two nights) not having seen the directors previous work, so didn't know what to expect style wise. I was not keen in the beginning, the dialogue was on par with Hallmark/Channel 5 Christmas films, as were some of the effects. However by the end I really appreciated this flick, it felt fresh and for what it did with the budget.

I'm not sure if anyone else could sense a huge inspiration from Stalker, maybe the directors have never seen it, but the whole rules of the area felt a lot like the zone in Stalker.

Several bits were heavy on the cliche such as "what's going on?" "You will find out for yourself if you really want to" that kind of bullshit. Anyway I'm keen to see the previous works, you guys hold in high regard.

Noodle Lizard

Sorry to bring this up again, but I've only just seen it having recently rewatched Spring and checked out what else the filmmakers had been up to.

These guys frustrate me, honestly. The set-ups for both this and Spring were great; really well-directed, convincingly blending indie/mumblecore aesthetics and characters/dialogue with otherworldly horror bubbling somewhere else in the distance. All the stuff with them arriving at the camp, the tug of war bit, the fella throwing the baseball up in the air etc. There's so much potential there, but I think their approach to the horror/sci-fi elements are rubbish once it really starts kicking off in both this and Spring (I've still not seen Resolution). Perhaps I'm asking for different films entirely to the ones they seem keen on making, but it's so frustrating to see writer/directors with such good taste in their premises/settings throw it all into SyFy movie territory by the end of it.

6/10 or something like that. Someone else compared it to an X-Files episode, and that's about what I'd say of the final third.

SteveDave

I think it makes more sense if you've seen Resolution first.

Puce Moment

Since this was bumped - does anyone know when Synchronic might be available?

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: SteveDave on September 24, 2020, 10:06:44 AM
No, but the trailer is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQRHOelv0U

Yeah that looks like my kinda jazz. Still yet to see resolution and spring though. I am a letdown to myself.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: SteveDave on September 24, 2020, 08:18:40 AM
I think it makes more sense if you've seen Resolution first.

It made perfect sense in and of itself, I thought, but I watched Resolution last night which gives a little more context. To me, Resolution had the same problem as Spring and The Endless - they get everything right except the actual horror/sci-fi parts.

SteveDave

Synchronic is out (in America) on January the 12th. I've not looked forward to seeing a film for ages it seems.

greenman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 24, 2020, 12:37:12 AM
Sorry to bring this up again, but I've only just seen it having recently rewatched Spring and checked out what else the filmmakers had been up to.

These guys frustrate me, honestly. The set-ups for both this and Spring were great; really well-directed, convincingly blending indie/mumblecore aesthetics and characters/dialogue with otherworldly horror bubbling somewhere else in the distance. All the stuff with them arriving at the camp, the tug of war bit, the fella throwing the baseball up in the air etc. There's so much potential there, but I think their approach to the horror/sci-fi elements are rubbish once it really starts kicking off in both this and Spring (I've still not seen Resolution). Perhaps I'm asking for different films entirely to the ones they seem keen on making, but it's so frustrating to see writer/directors with such good taste in their premises/settings throw it all into SyFy movie territory by the end of it.

6/10 or something like that. Someone else compared it to an X-Files episode, and that's about what I'd say of the final third.

I would say its saved somewhat by having decent central drama to it between the two lead characters but it doesnt really feel like there was any idea as to how this would fit into the sci fi /horror ideas which stayed pretty superfical.

If it feels like the X-files I'd say its more the over arching alien plot were there was a tendancy to throw a little ideas in which never came to anything, the better stand alone episodes actually had a pretty good record of meshing those conceps with the story they were trying to tell.

zomgmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on December 22, 2020, 12:18:50 PM
Synchronic is out (in America) on January the 12th. I've not looked forward to seeing a film for ages it seems.

I think it came out in America in theatres in October, is this an online release date?

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 24, 2020, 01:58:08 AM
I think it came out in America in theatres in October, is this an online release date?

Possibly. I saw a tweet from one of those two about it.

olliebean

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 24, 2020, 09:14:58 AM
Since this was bumped - does anyone know when Synchronic might be available?

Now.