Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Polish Food Treasures

Started by nedthemumbler, June 21, 2018, 03:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedthemumbler

I've been spending a lot of time at a Polish friend's flat a lot recently, and he happens to live above a Polish deli/grocers/off-license/pharmacy kinda place.  He has no connection to the shop, apart from nationality and high cheekbones.

Anyway have decided it is time to venture beyond my comfort zone of Gouda, liquid MSG, onion flavoured Lays and cans of Tyskie (will be the death of me/my youthful beauty). 

I have asked my friend to help me navigate this wondrous, consonant-rich bounty, but he has no interest in food and drink beyond sustenance.

So what do you people enjoy from Poland, or Eastern Europe/Russia?  I am pretty adventurous when it comes to matters gustatory, but it is actually quite hard to read Polish it turns out.  Probably need lessons, all the Polish, just to learn it.  The younger the better too.

Buelligan

[tag]coprophagia thread[/tag]

Edit - having thought about this, I can see how it might be misinterpreted, so let me lead you towards the mookish old assertion that you can't polish a turd.  I hope you understand it's love of laterals and not barefaced racism at play here.  Thanks, you cunts.

Icehaven

Thinly sliced pork loin. Just cured pig/sausage in general really, they do it about 1000 ways and they're all delicious (if cardiacally challenging.)

AliasTheCat

Seconded, the Poles certainly know their way around a sausage.

I was with a Polish girl for three years. Here are some things you must try;

3Bit - My favourite chocolate bar. The closest we had to Trios before they brought those back. Still worth a go.

Golabki - Literally translates as "little pigeons". But there's no pigeon here. It's seasoned pork mince and rice wrapped in cabbage and boiled in a tomato flavoured water. Proper basic but a nicely prepared one tastes great.

Pierogi - Look a bit like filled pasta but are actually dumplings. Can be filled with mince, cream cheese, fruit.

Bigos - The absolute fucking best thing ever in Poland. Sausage, off cuts of random meats all cooked up in a sour cabbage stew.

Tymbark Apple & Mint - There's several nice drinks in this range. This is the best.

If you can get to Poland, absolutely try their kebab houses. It's not like a kebab I've had anywhere else. Just a big flatbread sandwich full of tasty ingredients. Also, their hot dogs are good too. They hollow out a mini baguette, pour in sauce (I recommend the garlic sauce) and pop a sausage down the end.

Oh, and if you're a guest of a Polish person, the custom is to leave something on your plate when you finish. If you empty your plate and put your knife and fork down they'll serve you up another portion. Having been raised to always empty my plate I ended up eating four main courses (and feeling quite ill) until my girlfriend told me what was up.

Wet Blanket

Their tomato ketchup Cheetos are brilliant, and the only foodstuff I've ever seen where the traffic light calorie counter bars on the bag are ALL red. God bless those Poles.

Sebastian Cobb

+1 for bigos. The Hairy Bikers do a good recipe of that.

Oh, that Cheetos talk reminds me. You have to try Flips. They are like massive Wotsits but foamier and in a big bag. They come in plain, chocolate, strawberry and toffee.

But yeah, lots of the crisps are great. Paprika Lays are amazing.

Zetetic

Pierogi are considerably improved by being fried a bit.

The bread is quite nice every so often.

QuoteOh, and if you're a guest of a Polish person, the custom is to leave something on your plate when you finish
Not if they grew up in a refugee camp it isn't.

Golden E. Pump

All polish tastes the same. I had to stop eating it because whilst I was basically shitting silverware, my doctor told me I was on quite the moribund journey.

Paul Calf

Quote from: nedthemumbler on June 21, 2018, 03:30:43 PM
he has no interest in food and drink beyond sustenance.

You'll find out why this is when you sample Polish food. Gritty sausages and pancakes with cottage cheese, think Britain in the 1970s: Poland is in many ways still recovering from the scarcity years.

The dumplings are nice though. Have some pierogi.

New Jack

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 21, 2018, 05:02:05 PM
All polish tastes the same. I had to stop eating it because whilst I was basically shitting silverware, my doctor told me I was on quite the moribund journey.

Tags: Mr Sheen nutrition tips

Emma Raducanu

I had a decent pizza in Krakow if that's any use. Can't remember the place.

thraxx

Yes. Bigos is fucking the most amazingest food ever. It's incredible.  Any polish sausage is a good sausage. Finally, their pastries are amazing. Different from yer french patisserie but as good.

I love the idea of pierogi but i've never had one that isn't a soggy bland mess. Maybe I've nkt been getting the good ones.

Cloud

Coconut flavour Princessa bars always get my thumbs up!

Shit Good Nose

Buelligan, Golden E Pump and Paul Calf either have very limited experience of Polish food or they haven't eaten it in the right places.

Yeah, decent pirogi is difficult to find in this country, but when it's good it's VERY good.

And yes, they do very good pizza.

All good suggestions so far.

I will add schabovi - their equivalent of schnitzel - with creamed potatoes and pickled cabbage.  Also they have something simila to rilettes which I forget the name of, but it's chunkier and saltier.  Also they do an amazing beef stew dish.  And they have a very moreish vanilla gateaux which is lovely with a cup of tea.

Admittedly they're not big on veggie or light dishes, but if you are in the mood for stodge with a lot of flavour for sensible prices, there aren't that many rivals.

nedthemumbler

So many kinds of kielbasa, which are good?

They do love shitty instant noodles I notice. The potless kind.

Pseudopath

This stuff is the shizzle if you like the taste of Sunday roasts:

nedthemumbler

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 21, 2018, 06:28:08 PM
This stuff is the shizzle if you like the taste of Sunday roasts:

I have a bottle, been trying it in allsorts.  Good shout,  thanks.

Pseudopath

Quote from: nedthemumbler on June 21, 2018, 06:29:48 PM
I have a bottle, been trying it in allsorts.  Good shout,  thanks.

Oh yeah...just noticed you mentioned Liquid MSG in the OP. Soz.

jobotic

Perla is better than Zywiec which is better than Tyskie.

nedthemumbler

Quote from: jobotic on June 21, 2018, 06:48:45 PM

I can't really tell the difference if I'm honest.  All cost the same I think so willing to vary.

José

I'm a little worried about brexit, i heard that nigel farage was going to personally herd every pole onto a prison barge then scuttle it in the middle of the channel.

that said, i reckon a few of the polski sklep's could just change their name to "regular english shop" and have the staff wear shoes on their knees and false mustaches. they could label the kielbasa "st george sausage" and the ukippers would be none the wiser.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Przyprawa seasoning is very nice.

I second the frying pierogi just for a minute tip - it helps de-grease a little bit, and you get the benefit of the delicious dumpling both soft and a little crispy in places.

Get on any meat and cheese you can find that doesn't look absolute excrement.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jobotic on June 21, 2018, 06:48:45 PM

Of the regular Polish lagers you can get in England, I'd say:

Kasztelan
Debowe
---
Tyskie
Perla
---
Brackie
Okocim
Zywiec
Karpackie
Warka
Lech
Zubr

Emma Raducanu

They serve soup in edible bowls made of bread which saves on washing up.

JesusAndYourBush

We used to get jars of jam made by a Polish company called Krakus, it was the best jam ever.  After Chernobyl they vanished from the shelves and I've not seen them since, although I know the company is still going because I've seen a jar of Krakus pickles in Leeds market.

NoSleep

Krakus do massive jars of sauerkraut, too. I haven't bought any for yonks, but the jars still come in handy.

Ian Drunken Smurf

We have a Russian store here. Big fan of Natakhtari (pear flavoured sparkling soft drink) and wife likes Kwas. Also tend to pick up Baltika (lower numbers - Baltika 9 is like Special Brew)

king_tubby

There's a Polish food place opening near me soon. Having had stuff from their 'street' 'food' operation at various things, I'm fucking stoked.