Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Polish Food Treasures

Started by nedthemumbler, June 21, 2018, 03:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

græskar

It's really nice seeing British people appreciating some Polish cuisine. I know it's not too exciting/exotic/fashionable, but I do think it is comforting and attractive in a sort of heart-attacky, unsophisticated, old European kind of way. I like what Paul Calf said, that it's the type of food that is "recovering from the scarcity years" and, on the flipside, rebounding from them, hence the abundance of fat.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 21, 2018, 06:27:03 PM
  Also they have something simila to rilettes which I forget the name of, but it's chunkier and saltier.

I think you might mean smalec (pron. "smaletz"), known in Britain under its Jewish name schmaltz. We eat it on white bread sprinkled with salt, which might be an acquired taste, but it's really lovely.

jobotic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 21, 2018, 07:29:15 PM
Of the regular Polish lagers you can get in England, I'd say:

Kasztelan
Debowe
---
Tyskie
Perla
---
Brackie
Okocim
Zywiec
Karpackie
Warka
Lech
Zubr

Cheers, I'll try the top two when I see them.

king_tubby

Quote from: græskar on June 21, 2018, 08:36:10 PM
I think you might mean smalec (pron. "smaletz"), known in Britain under its Jewish name schmaltz. We eat it on white bread sprinkled with salt, which might be an acquired taste, but it's really lovely.

I dunno, my dad came back from a work trip to Poland in the 80s raving about the 'bread with lard'.

Shit Good Nose

That's the bunny.  Like rilettes it sounds fucking horrible, but then you eat it...

Dead soon, etc.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.mojewypieki.com/przepis/cebularze-lubelskie

Would recommend cebularz, a very tasty bread + onion + poppy seeds snack, recipe above.

Sebastian Cobb

It's really nice seeing British people appreciating some Polish cuisine. I know it's not too exciting/exotic/fashionable, but I do think it is comforting and attractive in a sort of heart-attacky, unsophisticated, old European kind of way. I like what Paul Calf said, that it's the type of food that is "recovering from the scarcity years" and, on the flipside, rebounding from them, hence the abundance of fat.

Glasgow doesn't seem to have the polski skleps on every corner like Aberdeen did. But I quite enjoyed wandering round them and picking out some bits and pieces and going from 'some british dickhead poking about' to 'best mate' in the utterance of Chciałbyś torbę

pancreas

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 21, 2018, 09:32:35 PM
https://www.mojewypieki.com/przepis/cebularze-lubelskie

Would recommend cebularz, a very tasty bread + onion + poppy seeds snack, recipe above.

Christ that just looks like a really bad focaccia. Add me to the list of sceptics.

Emma Raducanu

cold beetroot soup made with buttermilk is pretty as fuck too. Although I know this to originate from the baltic region, I've had this in Poland too and it was proper banging mate.

thenoise

I've always thought the Polish ate nothing but salty sausage and pickled cabbage, and there isn't that much in this thread that is persuading me otherwise.
That beetroot soup looked lovely until you told me it was cold.

Cloud

Glad it's seen as cultural appreciation and not appropriation.  Never quite sure which I'd be doing.  I figure more demand, more supply!

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: thenoise on June 21, 2018, 10:18:30 PM
That beetroot soup looked lovely until you told me it was cold.

cold and full of dill and cucumber. not chives like this poor illustration.

Emma Raducanu

And Golabki (cabbage stuffed with mince) goes well with petit pois a la francaise.

pancreas

Sebastian Cobb

aspic is still present innit?

mobias

My local Sainsbury's has a little Polish department. I love it because I love German and Eastern European food generally. So much more meaty and sausage-y than all that healthy Italian and French nonsense that people in this country seem obsessed by. Pizza really is the most over rated food in the entire Western world in my opinion, and don't even get me started on how shit pasta is. Give me a sausage the size of a massive dildo and I'll show you a smile wide enough to split my face open. 

You really can't beat a pig which has been shoved into a mincer and turned into a long thin salted cured sausage format. It'll probably kill me but it sure is more-ish. I ate an entire packet of Polish kabanos in one sitting earlier this week.

Dex Sawash

Pączki motherfuckers! (they're just donuts)

ASFTSN

Quote from: mobias on June 21, 2018, 10:35:11 PMGive me a sausage the size of a massive dildo and I'll show you a smile wide enough to split my face open. 

This sentence does not benefit from skim reading.

Anyway, on topic, I like saurkraut, Crunchips (yes I'm citing crisps as a Polish food even though these are probably made elsewhere in Europe but the ones I buy have Polish writing on the packet so FUCK you) and I drank enough Okocim Mocne in my 20's to considerably shorten my lifespan I expect.

Buelligan

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 21, 2018, 06:27:03 PM
Buelligan, Golden E Pump and Paul Calf either have very limited experience of Polish food or they haven't eaten it in the right places.

Dear god, polish not Polish.  Even with an explanation, I despair.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Buelligan on June 22, 2018, 09:00:27 AM
Dear god, polish not Polish.  Even with an explanation, I despair.

polish food?  Polish a turd?

Yer mad, I tells ya, mad!

(but, seriously, I have no fucking idea what you meant then - to me it sounded like you were saying that Polish food sucked ass.  As I keep saying, sometimes even your explanations need a fucking appendix and glossary for us dumbfucks)

Buelligan

Polish Food Treasures.  polish food.  polish a precious object.  polish a turd.  coprophagia.  A thread.

Shit Good Nose

DArtagnan

Oh, and if you're a guest of a Polish person, the custom is to leave something on your plate when you finish. If you empty your plate and put your knife and fork down they'll serve you up another portion. Having been raised to always empty my plate I ended up eating four main courses (and feeling quite ill) until my girlfriend told me what was up.
[/quote]

Funny that, I have no reason to disbelieve you, maybe it's different customs in different parts of the country, but I  had an eight year relationship with a Polish girl years ago.
I took her over there to visit some of her relatives, and we stayed with her aunt in Poznan at one time.
One thing I vividly recall, was that at breakfast, slices of cheese, ham, hard boiled eggs, coffee and rolls or bread, there'd be a shot glass of vodka next to your plate.
The other thing was, that when she put a plate down at dinner, bigos, gołabki, zrazy, etc., she'd say, "jedz, jedz wszytsko." (Eat, eat everything). Maybe she meant something like tuck in.

monkfromhavana

From my experience, Polish food can be great, it's never going to be delicate, but it does the job. The problem seems to be that when you eat it out, the preparation is lacking more often than not and it becomes average. That's why we always end up in Manekin.

DArtagnan

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 22, 2018, 10:11:15 AM
From my experience, Polish food can be great, it's never going to be delicate, but it does the job. The problem seems to be that when you eat it out, the preparation is lacking more often than not and it becomes average. That's why we always end up in Manekin.

Thinking Manekin was a restaurant, I googled it, and it is, but in Poland, Warszawa, and Poznań.
There must be Polish restaurants in the U.K everywhere, but the best one I know in London, is The Polish Hearth Club, Exhibition Road, Kensington, The Baltic, in Blackfriars Road is good, but it does a varied cuisine, Russian, Polish, Latvian, etc. as the name implies, they have many varieties of vodka too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Emma Raducanu

What's wrong with you people

To be fair, I really fucking hate rosemary. It's what grandma s nicker drawer smells like isn't it. Not too bad on a roast potato but horrendous otherwise

king_tubby

Dill is great. Can't have Iranian food without it. Rules.

Rosemary is fucking awesome. Shut up.