Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:34:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Irrational Hatred

Started by Golden E. Pump, June 21, 2018, 06:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden E. Pump

Does anyone else ever feel an irrational hatred for something trivial?

My Mum's partner is in his early fifties. He only ever eats chips and basic meat products; refusing to try anything new or anything that sounds remotely exotic. For him, coq-au-vin might as well be labelled as 'alien innards containing unknown radioactive metals'. He's never tried anything. And never will.

I know that the taste of food is subjective and that it does not affect my life in the slightest. But we could be in a restaurant and he'll be perusing the menu with his beady face and I'll be there with nought but "just pick the fucking chicken nuggets" repeating ad nauseum in my nearly audible brain voice. That's when he'll glance at my mother and ask "do the chicken nuggets come with normal chips?" To my disappointment, this place has taken the bold decision to only serve curly fries, and they just won't do. My seething rage never shouts "just try a fucking curly fry, you cretin" at him, because it's just his taste in food. But it really wants to. It really does.

So, like my hatred of people with infantile palettes renders me a cunt, is anyone else a cunt?

Or is he the cunt?

Blue Jam

I've got an uncle like this. He'll only eat meat and potatoes. No other veg, and no fruit. In restaurants he only ever orders the mixed grill, and he won't touch any peas, mushrooms or other vegetables it might come with. If a restaurant doesn't do mixed grills he won't go. At Christmas my aunt does prawn cocktails as a starter, but she'll serve up some beef consommé for him because the prawn cocktail features lettuce and spring onions and he won't eat those. It has to be consommé because other soups carry a risk of containing vegetables. For the main event he'll just have turkey with potatoes, maybe some pigs in blankets, but no veg.

He is spherical, and I suspect he hasn't had a poo in twenty years. And he's a cunt.

Cloud

Yep, got a mate like that.  Won't touch anything green and sticks rigidly to known quantities from childhood like waffles, beans, chips, fish fingers etc.

But with a twist, once in a while (like once a decade) he'll give something new a try, perhaps after getting drunk enough or because it's free, and completely fall in love with it and eat it obsessively.  First dared to try pizza at about age 25 then ate it non-stop, then eventually got really brave and tried curry at about age 30 and has had one about 6 days out of 7 ever since (albeit sticking rigidly to always the same dish)

Not that it bothers me.  My irrational hatred is probably cars with roof racks.  I've never known one to drive anything above painfully slow and kind of lost.

thenoise

An old university flatmate, with a highly adventurous taste in music (turned me on to Merzbow), alternative looking hair and clothing and an experimental love life with both men and women, used to eat the same dinner every single night - either chicken or steak or occasionally fish, with chips and peas. Every night meat, chips and peas. Worse still, he put a big blob of mayonnaise on the side of his plate, and every mouthful would be dipped in the stuff. Imagine everything you eat dipped in mayonnaise? Anyway, he turned out to be a cunt but let's face it the warning signs were there, a lesson learned to be sure.

falafel

If you won't eat vegetables and you are an adult you need therapy and are probably a cunt. Not irrational at all.

Edit: Not the same as can't. I know one or two people who can't eat many vegetables for biological reasons. Not the same, obviously.

shiftwork2

My nan wouldn't allow bananas in the house as they were 'foreign muck'.  In her defence, as well as being a massive racist she did live most of her life before she saw one of the weird yellow bendy fruits and it must have appeared to have come from outer space.

Buelligan

I'm not mad keen on Ferrari owners.  Always seem to be loud entitled cigar-smoking, Ralph Lauren polo shirt-wearers.  Barely literate oafs who think they own the fucking air you're breathing and don't know one end of an engine from the other.  Trebuchet for them, I think.

Dex Sawash

I hate the face of the main lady in Rogue One (space movie). Not sure if it is irrational, bad misogyny or both.

Lemming

My diet consists mainly of potatoes and bread products most of the time, because I hate the majority of vegetables and can only sporadically be arsed actually cooking. The people mentioned in the first three posts sound alright to me, except the curly fries incident. What kind of cunt doesn't try curly fries, honestly.

An irrational hatred I have is for people who say "standard".

"Hey, want to come over and hang out?" I might say to a Mate. This would be a rare occurrence to begin with.
"Sure," replies Mate. "What time?".
"This afternoon?" I reply.
"Standard."

Fuck you. You're uninvited - how's that for STANDARD, you fucking twerp.

Emma Raducanu

I have an irrational hatered of Saturdays.

Ever since my days off work became weekdays, I've really hated having Saturday off. I love working on a Saturday.

Saturdays are other people's annoying children, the Trafford Center, lads in town in shorts, shit television, crowds, traffic jams, Bruce Forsyth. Mondays are a calm serenity and walks by a river while everyone else works.

Quote from: Lemming on June 22, 2018, 03:05:04 AM
An irrational hatred I have is for people who say "standard".

"Hey, want to come over and hang out?" I might say to a Mate. This would be a rare occurrence to begin with.
"Sure," replies Mate. "What time?".
"This afternoon?" I reply.
"Standard."

Fuck you. You're uninvited - how's that for STANDARD, you fucking twerp.

Whenever I ask someone for the time point of an event and they reply with the time period of an event, I will also reply, "Standard."

Real recognise real.

Gregory Torso

What about irrational LOVE, you negative nasdaqs, you broken stock brokers of misery, LOVE

I have irrational LOVE for all the girls in supermarkets in their velvet pinnafores, and secrecy, irrational love for people listening to music on headphones and nodding along and not realising everyone can see this.
Little dogs that want to climb trees but can't, albatrosses looking for their wives over the choppy wooden waves, puffins and sea otters.
Irrational LOVE for my friends who are massive cunts. In love with the idea of climbing trees and smoking a cigarette in their branches and breathing it out and letting the baby birds crawl on me.

Love the letters, sweetness all mashed up like leaves in a gutter,  all the girls, even the ones who stuck pins in my heart, come on getting angry about people not eating vegetables or saying a word.

LOVE

DArtagnan

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 21, 2018, 06:26:34 PM
Does anyone else ever feel an irrational hatred for something trivial?

My Mum's partner is in his early fifties. He only ever eats chips and basic meat products; refusing to try anything new or anything that sounds remotely exotic. For him, coq-au-vin might as well be labelled as 'alien innards containing unknown radioactive metals'. He's never tried anything. And never will.

I know that the taste of food is subjective and that it does not affect my life in the slightest. But we could be in a restaurant and he'll be perusing the menu with his beady face and I'll be there with nought but "just pick the fucking chicken nuggets" repeating ad nauseum in my nearly audible brain voice. That's when he'll glance at my mother and ask "do the chicken nuggets come with normal chips?" To my disappointment, this place has taken the bold decision to only serve curly fries, and they just won't do. My seething rage never shouts "just try a fucking curly fry, you cretin" at him, because it's just his taste in food. But it really wants to. It really does.

So, like my hatred of people with infantile palettes renders me a cunt, is anyone else a cunt?

Or is he the cunt?

If you think that palates is spelt palettes, then maybe you're the cunt, if, as is more likely, it's a simple typo, then you're not a cunt at all, you're okay, but your mum's partner might be the cunt.
I have a great-nephew, who refuses all vegetables, and eats nothing but chicken and chips, or burgers and chips, I certainly don't hate him, but I find it a very strange dietary outlook.
He's followed this regime for at least the last 10 years to my reckoning, but what's amazing, is that he has the body of a model, with maybe an 80-81 cm waist, and not a spot or pimple on his face.

People who wear tracksuit bottoms. If you aren't an athlete at an event, on your way to the gym or Big Nev Southall there's literally no excuse for them. They look dreadful. Put on some real fucking trousers.

Oh, and also people in pyjamas/dressing gowns/slippers in public. Getting dressed to go out of the house is the absolute least you can expect of people. If you can't manage that, fuck knows how you live the rest of your life.

kngen

People who wear hats while eating. Not in a cafe or a McDonalds or whatever, but at a nice sit-down dinner in a fancy restaurant. Drives me up the fucking wall, and made eating out in London quite difficult, as - no matter how fucking classy you thought you were being - there'd always be some Nathan Barley cunt at the next table with a trilby on. I nearly wept with joy when I saw this Sopranos episode for the first time.

lebowskibukowski

This could be a list that never ends, although I will start with just Monty Don's face. Instant apoplexy the second I see the weather-beaten cunt pop up on the telly

lebowskibukowski

People wearing sunglasses indoors
Hats worn at a jaunty angle
People tapping their fingers on their knee whilst listening to music
Mentioning what the weather is like at the moment. Not commenting on the niceness of the weather, just that the weather 'is'
Heart Of Midlothian
Moths
People who call me 'chief'
People who can't sneeze in a traditionally sounding way

Dr Trouser

upward inflection. If I meet you at work or socially I will utterly despise you to the point of assuming anything you say is utter cock.

Buelligan

Quote from: kngen on June 22, 2018, 12:10:15 PM
People who wear hats while eating. Not in a cafe or a McDonalds or whatever, but at a nice sit-down dinner in a fancy restaurant. Drives me up the fucking wall, and made eating out in London quite difficult, as - no matter how fucking classy you thought you were being - there'd always be some Nathan Barley cunt at the next table with a trilby on. I nearly wept with joy when I saw this Sopranos episode for the first time.

Of course, you're speaking about men.  Ladies are a different matter.  My grandmother never left the house without a hat, I still have one of hers,  a cherry-magenta cashmere fedora with spiky trailing feathers.  Gloves to match.  Who could object to that?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dr Trouser on June 22, 2018, 12:24:11 PM
upward inflection. If I meet you at work or socially I will utterly despise you to the point of assuming anything you say is utter cock.

This is a hoary old chestnut and people of a certain age should probably pipe down about it now but yes, Dr Trouser I agree.

Perpetual 'upspeak' still makes my hackles soar into orbit. Kate Nash was being interviewed on 6Music last week and managed to have a rising inflection after every fucking utterance. I nearly stamped on the radio. Nearly.

File it alongside (unless you're an African American) saying "Back in the day", calling people 'bruv', "knowwhatImean?" and " I was like, shut up".  Don't hear people say 'Oh my days' so much anymore though.

It's irrational and fogeyish and my turn of phrase is hardly G.K.Chesterton. Sorry, G.K Chesterton??

My worst habit is saying "sort of', and "kind of" all the time. Once you notice it on certain podcasts it drives you mental.

AsparagusTrevor

The aversion to 'foreign' 'food' seems to be quite a common one. One of my supervisors at work and my erstwhile best-friend's wife are both like this, however my supervisor is slightly more adventurous in that respect. She will eat pizza and pasta but not curry, but generally limits her nutritional intake to the Greggs menu.

My friend's wife was particularly bad for it despite her husband previously working as a chef. She basically only ate pies, chips, burgers (American food was obviously ok), plain meat and basic vegatables. She was a casual racist and a UKIP voter also. Surprisingly friendly, but seriously infuriating.

Quote from: Dr Trouser on June 22, 2018, 12:24:11 PMupward inflection. If I meet you at work or socially I will utterly despise you to the point of assuming anything you say is utter cock.
Argh yeah, there's someone who sits near me at work who always sounds like he's asking a fucking question, the falsely-inquisitive cunt.

Small Man Big Horse

I hate it whenever a film, book or song uses the title of a pre-existing work. For example in the Spiritualized thread I found out one of their new songs is called "I'm Your Man", and it's a piece of piss compared to Leonard Cohen's classic song. The author Mike Gayle is particularly bad for this too, having stolen two Pulp titles (My Legendary Girlfriend and His 'n' Hers) but also Wish You Were Here (which of course the 1987 film also nicked). It's pure laziness, and for some reason just annoys me no end.

Blue Jam

Quote from: DolphinFace on June 22, 2018, 04:35:58 AM
I have an irrational hatered of Saturdays.

Ever since my days off work became weekdays, I've really hated having Saturday off. I love working on a Saturday.

Saturdays are other people's annoying children, the Trafford Center, lads in town in shorts, shit television, crowds, traffic jams, Bruce Forsyth. Mondays are a calm serenity and walks by a river while everyone else works.

Where do work? Are you the boatman on the river Styx?

Seriously- I'd happily work on a Saturday if I could have one weekday off in exchange. I love just being able to get on with werk when it's quiet and there are fewer interruptions from annoying humans. I also love pubs when I can sit and have a quiet read, when they're empty bar a few old people and their dogs.

kngen

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 22, 2018, 12:45:11 PM
but also Wish You Were Here (which of course the 1987 film also nicked). It's pure laziness, and for some reason just annoys me no end.

I'd say the film has pretty good reason to use it, given its set in a seaside town set during the period when the phrase was written, without irony, on many a postcard. It also hints at the rather bittersweet nature of the film itself.

Brundle-Fly

I hate it whenever a film, book or song uses the title of a pre-existing work. For example in the Spiritualized thread I found out one of their new songs is called "I'm Your Man", and it's a piece of piss compared to Leonard Cohen's classic song. The author Mike Gayle is particularly bad for this too, having stolen two Pulp titles (My Legendary Girlfriend and His 'n' Hers) but also Wish You Were Here (which of course the 1987 film also nicked). It's pure laziness, and for some reason just annoys me no end.

Stay away from Bret Easton Ellis then.

New Jack

Same, it seems unoriginal. Even fairly obscure ones - the film Let The Right One In is a fairly under the radar Morrissey song - seem hacky.

Still I like Dazed and Confused, mind.

New Jack

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 22, 2018, 06:44:09 AM
What about irrational LOVE, you negative nasdaqs, you broken stock brokers of misery, LOVE

I have irrational LOVE for all the girls in supermarkets in their velvet pinnafores, and secrecy, irrational love for people listening to music on headphones and nodding along and not realising everyone can see this.
Little dogs that want to climb trees but can't, albatrosses looking for their wives over the choppy wooden waves, puffins and sea otters.
Irrational LOVE for my friends who are massive cunts. In love with the idea of climbing trees and smoking a cigarette in their branches and breathing it out and letting the baby birds crawl on me.

Love the letters, sweetness all mashed up like leaves in a gutter,  all the girls, even the ones who stuck pins in my heart, come on getting angry about people not eating vegetables or saying a word.

LOVE

Love this post.

Was listening to music on public transport before and thought of this when getting on down (well, nodding slightly) to the rock music I had on.

Also, difficult to mention staring at girls without it coming across as creepy but there's a few I've seen this very day who make me swell (steady) with love, good feelings, it's ace to see beauty, wishing radiating happiness out, being young and happy, drink it in. Young couples don't always jrritate me. Sometimes it's just fucking nice to know others are happy, cause I've had a bad, dark few years.

Irrational hatred? I'm outside in the sun, having a pint. I'll have to come back later, when Mr Sun has fled my company.

Icehaven

Chatting to my boss (who I don't hate btw) recently I learnt that she's a vegetarian (on ethical grounds). She only comes to my workplace once a month and I'd noticed she always refused any offers of biscuits or cake or anything else going around, and she explained it was because she could never be too sure if there were animal products in them and didn't want to appear rude or fussy by asking so found it easier to just say no thanks. However she then went on to explain that she also doesn't really like fruit or veg. Well not not really, not at all. I politely asked her what she typically ate then, and turned out to mostly be potatoes, with the occasional helping of baked beans, and toast. She's in her early 50s and seems healthy (well she's not fat and she doesn't take much time off sick anyway) but still, how boring and depressing.

Anyway I have an irrational hatred of people who stand up on the bus when there's seats. It's not always irrational as sometimes they get in the way of people getting on and off, so then it's rational, but even when they aren't in the way I hate them, are the seats not good enough for their arses or something? Sit the f*** down and stop raising the centre of gravity of the bus, it'll capsize.

Yussef Dent

I have a couple of mates who find this weird but one of mine is not taking glasses back to a bar, in any pub or whatever, busy or not. People say "oh they have people to do that," but they're always going to be needed to rewash the glasses. Also, people who don't clear up after themselves in any fast food restaurant, it's piss easy.