Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:48:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Irrational Hatred

Started by Golden E. Pump, June 21, 2018, 06:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Yussef Dent on June 22, 2018, 03:55:05 PM
I have a couple of mates who find this weird but one of mine is not taking glasses back to a bar, in any pub or whatever, busy or not. People say "oh they have people to do that," but they're always going to be needed to rewash the glasses. Also, people who don't clear up after themselves in any fast food restaurant, it's piss easy.
Not irrational, these people need knives in them.

Sebastian Cobb

I have a couple of mates who find this weird but one of mine is not taking glasses back to a bar, in any pub or whatever, busy or not. People say "oh they have people to do that," but they're always going to be needed to rewash the glasses. Also, people who don't clear up after themselves in any fast food restaurant, it's piss easy.

With you on that.

Similarly a guy from work who was otherwise sound was giving us a lift to burger King for lunch and  before setting off wound their window down, chucked their vape coil out the window then replaced it abd chucked the foil bag out as well. It annoyed me but I couldn't really think of a way to pull him up on it without looking like a dickhead.

José

Quote from: icehaven on June 22, 2018, 01:45:18 PM
Anyway I have an irrational hatred of people who stand up on the bus when there's seats. It's not always irrational as sometimes they get in the way of people getting on and off, so then it's rational, but even when they aren't in the way I hate them, are the seats not good enough for their arses or something? Sit the f*** down and stop raising the centre of gravity of the bus, it'll capsize.

have you tried staring them down with a vacant smile and enthusiastically patting the empty seat next to you?

Steven

Quote from: José on June 22, 2018, 06:00:26 PM
have you tried staring them down with a vacant smile and enthusiastically patting the empty seat next to you?

No, that's the way to make people avoid that seat at all costs. I should know, I've tried it out on enough schoolboys.

doppelkorn

I've always despised, for whatever reason, the trend for bottled cider, especially the ones with other fruit in. It's basically alcopops under new branding. I think that if a man orders one, the bar staff should be allowed to legally glass him.

José

Quote from: Steven on June 22, 2018, 06:10:20 PM
No, that's the way to make people avoid that seat at all costs. I should know, I've tried it out on enough schoolboys.

i find it helps if you lick the windows.

Dr Rock

I don't want to upset any antipodeans but Australia drives me barmy. Look at the size of it, it's clearly not finished as a country, you can't build four cities near the beach and say you're done. There's probably oil or UFOs in that great big middle bit. Population? 24 million. Look at the fucking size of it! Should be 200 million. The US is like this to some extent too, but they had a bloody good go after they killed all the natives - 50 states, get off your arse Australia, build a Las Vegas in the middle of nowhere and let more people in you racist bastards. Also Russia, and Greenland. It's a bloody waste.

canadagoose

I try to do the taking-glasses-back thing, but I feel self-conscious about doing it. I feel like I'm making a show of myself, as if I'm saying, "look at me! Aren't I nice, bringing these glasses back?" but I'm not. Well, not on purpose.

People who sit on the aisle seat in buses when the window seat is free get on my nerves for some reason. I have to try not to look their way, or I'll feel annoyed.

dallasman

Quote from: canadagoose on June 22, 2018, 09:56:53 PM
I try to do the taking-glasses-back thing, but I feel self-conscious about doing it. I feel like I'm making a show of myself, as if I'm saying, "look at me! Aren't I nice, bringing these glasses back?" but I'm not. Well, not on purpose.

Is this a British pub thing? I'm used to glasses being collected while we're drinking, and taking them back would just clutter up the bar. Also, aren't we already paying these people extra - in the form of tips - just for doing their jobs? Not to open that whole can of worms, but are we expected to bus tables too? Nah, fuck that. Stack empties, and be helpful when staff come by to collect them, but there's no reason you should do any walking on their behalf.

Fast food joints, though - totally different thing. People binning their waste and stacking their tray is part of the business model, and the people working there don't get any tips or afterparties or street cred. They have to work in a stupid uniform and deal with screaming kids and tourists and teenagers all day long. If you don't do the bare minimum to help those guys out, you are scum.

People who sit on the aisle seat in buses when the window seat is free get on my nerves for some reason. I have to try not to look their way, or I'll feel annoyed.

I really hate this, always have. I've started taking those window seats on purpose, because most people are too polite, but I'm an old grouch now and I DGAF. I don't say "pardon me" anymore either. I just push past them and sit right down, drawing many admiring stares.

Sebastian Cobb

See, what I do here, is do it if it's on the way out and not bother otherwise. I'm also quite sullen though.

Another one like this that really fucked me off for no good reason was people leaving the works kitchen in a state. Mugs piling up in the sink despite the fact there was a dishwasher. Just leaving it for the cleaner to load it up. Shower of lazy bastards.

kngen

As well as just being a reasonable thing to do, I reckon you get served quicker too, if it's busy, as you've done them a favour. In fact, I got a free beer in Toronto the other week for doing just that.

Dr Rock

Quote from: dallasman on June 22, 2018, 10:34:17 PM
Is this a British pub thing?

I'm British and have spent half my life in pubs and don't know what they're on about either, someone always comes round and collects them. And we don't tip anyone either. Well we shouldn't, some places where the drinks are already expensive the barman might give you your change on a tray as if you're supposed to let him have it back. When all they've done is turn round and got a bottle out of a fridge.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 22, 2018, 10:56:10 PM
I'm British and have spent half my life in pubs and don't know what they're on about either, someone always comes round and collects them. And we don't tip anyone either. Well we shouldn't, some places where the drinks are already expensive the barman might give you your change on a tray as if you're supposed to let him have it back. When all they've done is turn round and got a bottle out of a fridge.

Tipping bar staff as if it's obligatory is a load of shite but if you've been in a proper local then it's fine to tell the bar staff to take one for themselves every now and then. Especially if they do a lock in.

Nowhere Man

Sometimes I think that Noddy Holder is the only person worth fighting for, thats how shit the human race is.

Edit: Billy Bragg, Roy Wood, Jerry Dammers and Suggs too.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2018, 11:06:43 PM
Tipping bar staff as if it's obligatory is a load of shite but if you've been in a proper local then it's fine to tell the bar staff to take one for themselves every now and then. Especially if they do a lock in.

Oh agreed.

Jockice

People who smoke cigars. I have no problem with fags or dope but cigars just smell disgusting.

People who wear goggles in small swimming pools. And those who take their towels out of the changing rooms. What is the point of that?

People in general. Lots of them.

Sherman Krank

FUCKING OTTER CUNTS!!!!!!

Feels so much better to finally get that out..

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on June 22, 2018, 11:44:36 PM
People who smoke cigars. I have no problem with fags or dope but cigars just smell disgusting.

People who wear goggles in small swimming pools. And those who take their towels out of the changing rooms. What is the point of that?

People in general. Lots of them.

People who wear tinted glasses all the time. You look like a nonce mate.

easytarget

dallasman

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 22, 2018, 10:56:10 PM
And we don't tip anyone either. Well we shouldn't, some places where the drinks are already expensive the barman might give you your change on a tray as if you're supposed to let him have it back. When all they've done is turn round and got a bottle out of a fridge.

I got some sushi today, ordered and picked up in person. When I swiped my card, they gave me the "total amount" option, which is another annoying/uncomfortable quirk of the service industry. There was already a tip jar on the counter, into which I dutifully dropped some change. The lady behind the counter didn't smile once during our exchange, even though I was very polite and had my adorable daughter by my side. She wrote down my order on a Post-It, and said "15 minutes" when I asked how long it would be. That's it. What about that transaction even opens up the possibility of me wanting to give them more money? I may as well have been interacting with a vending machine, ffs. And there's a sushi place on every block in this part of town, so if anything, they should be rewarding me for honouring them with my patronage.

So, that's why I hate Asians.

Twit 2

Pretty much every single member of an Aldeburgh festival concert, for example the other day I watched the Ligeti violin concerto with a friend and we were by far the best in the room at liking it, visibly and measurably so.

Old people who shouldn't be driving any more but do. Get you dead into the ditch you elderly fucks. At the same concert I watched an elderly twunt woman reverse the total fuck out of her car into two others, 'smashing them up proper.' She had mistaken the accelerator for the brake, and you didn't need the horrified parking attendants' faces to know she had fucked the whole business up royally. Needless to say, I posed as her insurer and ran her into a bog, cackling as she became irretrievable.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I do get genuinely annoyed when a poster starts a general topic and, rather than moving things forward with their own examples, everyone just uses the same example as in the opening post. So in effect, despite the title, this is basically now a thread just about fussy eaters. Drives me bananas.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on June 23, 2018, 02:20:05 AM
I do get genuinely annoyed when a poster starts a general topic and, rather than moving things forward with their own examples, everyone just uses the same example as in the opening post. So in effect, despite the title, this is basically now a thread just about fussy eaters. Drives me bananas.

You're quite tense.  You need to relax.  Would you benefit from a nice bendy banana?

mothman

Quote from: dallasman on June 22, 2018, 10:34:17 PM
Fast food joints, though - totally different thing. People binning their waste and stacking their tray is part of the business model, and the people working there don't get any tips or afterparties or street cred. They have to work in a stupid uniform and deal with screaming kids and tourists and teenagers all day long. If you don't do the bare minimum to help those guys out, you are scum.

And yet, there seems to be a whole generation of late teens/twentysomethings who obviously feel this is beneath them. As a parent (trigger warning) I seem to spend far too much time in McDs and I see it all the time. I watch tables with this demographic and try to predict whether they'll clear up when they leave. They rarely do. Once saw a huge table populated by about a dozen of these cunts, all male, all hoodies, baseball caps and sleeve tats. They left a huge mess, then left to go out and get in their Astras and Golfs and BMW 1 serieses. Sometimes I wonder if the much-vaunted younger pro-remain tendency is solely based on these lazy arses who've never known anything but having a foreigner-dominated service industry to clean up after them...

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 21, 2018, 06:41:37 PM
I've got an uncle like this. He'll only eat meat and potatoes. No other veg, and no fruit. In restaurants he only ever orders the mixed grill, and he won't touch any peas, mushrooms or other vegetables it might come with. If a restaurant doesn't do mixed grills he won't go. At Christmas my aunt does prawn cocktails as a starter, but she'll serve up some beef consommé for him because the prawn cocktail features lettuce and spring onions and he won't eat those. It has to be consommé because other soups carry a risk of containing vegetables. For the main event he'll just have turkey with potatoes, maybe some pigs in blankets, but no veg.

He is spherical, and I suspect he hasn't had a poo in twenty years. And he's a cunt.

Spring onions? I've had dozens of prawn cocktails. I love them. Never had one with spring onions.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: falafel on June 21, 2018, 07:08:51 PM
If you won't eat vegetables and you are an adult you need therapy and are probably a cunt. Not irrational at all.

Agree. I've a mate who eats mainly nuggets and sausages but he knows it's wrong and wants to change.

doppelkorn

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 23, 2018, 09:36:17 AM
I've had dozens of prawn cocktails.

Alright calm down Giles Coren.

dex

There's a guy at work, Sean who to be fair could be a really nice bloke who is good at what he does. But for whatever reason I think he is a complete wazzock.

checkoutgirl

I have an irrational hatred of a guy in the office. Bald, 40, sporty and with a cocky swagger and two buttons undone on his shirt at all times. Constantly chatting up the young women. A domineering presence, always sticking his oar in with a self satisfied smile. The guy is smug personified. Gervais with a creepy edge. I am unequivocal and insistent in my dislike for him.

Anyway he left yesterday week ago for another company so the joke's on him. People seem to more freely associate and communicate in the office now. People speak to each other across the room and move from one end of the room to the other more often to speak so I actually feel somewhat vindicated. Like he was a negative presence all along and I was right to dislike him.

Anyway he's gone now so he's history so fuck him in the ear.

mothman

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 23, 2018, 09:36:17 AM
Spring onions? I've had dozens of prawn cocktails. I love them. Never had one with spring onions.

I submit to you that the addition of spring onions can improve any dish. Any SAVOURY dish, that is.