Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most gloriously offensive band name you've seen

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, June 21, 2018, 06:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I get the impression that the death metal/grind type bands with ridiculous names and outrageous song titles do it with a sense of humour, its quite knowing and they dont take themselves too seriously,  its all a bit tongue in cheek. Ive heard Cannibal Corpse describe their songs as being aural horror movies, which makes sense to me. Its not really for me but I can see the appeal. Then you have stuff like Whitehouse or Sutcliffe Jugend, which as far as I can tell, are 'artists' doing serious art, theres no humour and they take themselves very seriously. So what exactly is the statement they are making with this kind of thing? What is it that attracts a listener to a band that sings songs about Ripper victims with no hint of irony of humour? What kind of fan sees a t shirt with pics of victims on it and we spit on their graves and thinks "yes, thats what I want!"? Is the humour more apparent if you dig deeper (not that I have any interest in trying to listen to something that someone has tried their hardest to make unlistenable)? Do you listen just for the megaloz? Do you get humour out of something played so straight and awful? With the more obviously offensive gore type stuff it feels like everyone is laughing at the joke, with stuff like SJ it just feels like laughing at the edgelords pretending to be extreme, like theyre the butt of their own terrible joke.

studpuppet

When you think about it, and hiding in plain sight, The Lovin' Spoonful and 10cc are both named after spunk, pure and simple. But the most offensive bit is that 9cc is the average payload and they thought they'd add an extra cc of virility. Big boys don't cry - but they do overstate how much cum is going to be flying around...

Brundle-Fly

Chrissie Hynde's old band takes some beating considering it was only ten years after the event. And the bonus KKK imagery thrown in.

kalowski

I love the idea of these spotty lads forming a band and being huddled in the corner of the sixth form common room desperately trying to come up with an offensive name.
"Sex...butchers?  Anal sex... butchers? Anal sex badger butchers? The Pope's anal sex badger and Jesus dildo!"

SteveDave

I didn't find it offensive but a few years ago in Berlin I saw a poster for a band called Scheisse Minelli.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

My old drum crew used to practice in a lockup/practice "room" bedecked with swirly-lettered stickers for CANCEROUS WOMB. Pretty standard name for the sort of genre I imagine they are (if they're a Chris de Burgh tribute act, then well done them on all counts), but it's euphonious qualities have let it stick with me.

AsparagusTrevor

No hugely offensive really but a band name I saw on several billboards in the 00s was 'Jeremy Beadle's Hand'. No idea what genre they were/are.

hermitical

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 04, 2018, 03:20:43 PM
No hugely offensive really but a band name I saw on several billboards in the 00s was 'Jeremy Beadle's Hand'. No idea what genre they were/are.

ukulele orchestra?

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 04, 2018, 03:20:43 PM

Pity they didn't make it big.

hummingofevil

Friend's of friends in Newcastle about 12 years ago had Grindcore band called Dead Raped Babies. Always felt it was a great name because if it was apropos of nothing it has a really nice flow to the way the words sound. They were probably shit but I'll never know because I aint looking up that shit on Google.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: bushwick on June 24, 2018, 08:23:49 AM
There's also a Japanese noise guy called Molester who has a record called "Our Kids, Our Business".

ft Noel Gallagher.

Quote from: chveik on June 21, 2018, 10:50:09 PM
Make A Change...Kill Yourself

Every Little Helps.

a duncandisorderly

a doomed sheffield outfit of the early 80s were memorably (to me, anyway) named 'the shit city fuckers". not offensive now, though I don't know how they ever got gigs anywhere, but just bleak.
I had trouble myself as a member of "the whores of babylon"; if we made it onto a stage, we would get switched off by the venue.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 06, 2018, 01:42:49 AM
a doomed sheffield outfit of the early 80s were memorably (to me, anyway) named 'the shit city fuckers". not offensive now, though I don't know how they ever got gigs anywhere, but just bleak.
I had trouble myself as a member of "the whores of babylon"; if we made it onto a stage, we would get switched off by the venue.

might've been "fuck city shitters" now I think on.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Barry Admm on June 23, 2018, 07:49:05 PM
The Rapists weren't a shy bunch.

Promoters always fucked up the typography, which is why they had to change their name to Shrinks.

The old ones are the best.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2018, 07:51:50 PM
Just remembered there's a yank rapper called 'the nonce'.

Also there's a UK DJ called DJ Paedophile.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 23, 2018, 01:10:26 PM
These unimaginative, try-hard names seem like the work of anal Colin Hunts.

Ta-dum tish!