Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:54:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Serafinowicz' book is either atrocious or brilliant

Started by New Jack, June 21, 2018, 07:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

So I have this book, and I find it mystifying, but it's comedy innit? And I love comedy, love going on nights out to see comedy, indiscriminately, any comedy is good comedy by virtue of being comedy, yeah? So is it good? Er,  je suis mystified.

Bit arrogant for David "I spell it differently" Walliams to call himself a genius on the cover.

What do you fink, eh, readers? I speak of it unkindly in social circles, and I suppose, public squares now too.

Are you chuckling or what?

jake thunder

Serofinowicz is consistently high quality content provider.

Ghughesarch

So basically he's taken old Punch cartoons and added 'zany' captions? Like birthday card manufacturers have been doing for the last 20 years? Only 'zany' cos, like, it's Peter Serafinowicz and he's zany?
I like a lot of his other work, a lot of which is messing about with found footage, but in book form, from the evidence here, it's poo.

Shaky

This is basically the book equivalent of that "50 impressions in 2 minutes" Youtube video he did. The brevity is part of, or in some cases all, of the joke. Fine by me.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Shaky on June 22, 2018, 12:01:09 AM
This is basically the book equivalent of that "50 impressions in 2 minutes" Youtube video he did. The brevity is part of, or in some cases all, of the joke. Fine by me.

A shit joke becomes good if its short?

Those joke books are weird, theres some good stuff in there but most of it is dreck that the author should be embarrassed to put their name to. It feels like a book of first draft jokes.

checkoutgirl

By that evidence it doesn't look very good. And there would need to be at least a thousand pages for it to be value for money. I'd expect more from Pete. An oddity to pick up in the 99p bargain bin in a charity shop on a rainy Sunday afternoon perhaps.

kittens

didn't this book come out about ten years ago? my copy has been knocking around for ages. some of it is good, some of it is not. i like peter so i can look past the less good ones. it's fine

New Jack

I think it's a good thing it's only 300 odd pages long, and contains nowhere near a billion jokes.

Still, it does contain tips for how to improve it

Though I like this one a bit, not enough to smirk, let alone guffaw, but enough to post it on the internet:

Quote from: kittens on June 22, 2018, 08:15:20 AM
didn't this book come out about ten years ago?

Apologies, did not check the expiration date on this book. I think it's gone off

kittens

Beagle 2

There are so many books by comedians which have their rubbish cartoons in them, or "quirky" drawings with "quirky" captions. Buy one on your way out from seeing the next comedian you enjoy and realise that they are only really skilled in one discipline.

New Jack

Quote from: kittens on June 22, 2018, 10:27:14 AM
GET A NEW BOOK, PAL

The hardcover is sold out on Amazon. Oddly, Peter's literary career seemed to stall after this gem?

I'm not demanding volume 2, like. If I want to self harm there's funnier options, like using my Instant Pot to broil my head

Rolf Lundgren

Steven

Reminds me of this type of shite:

Also, isn't there no plan for a Volume 2, so that's meant to be a joke? Wouldn't the a joke be calling the first one Volume 2, or 3, 4, 7 or ANY other arbitrary number?

imitationleather

I can imagine some of these working with Serafinowicz's delivery, but when you just have line and the drawing I don't find it funny at all. It's tiring to read after a few of them. I love Peter, but that doesn't mean I have to think everything he does is automatically good.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: imitationleather on June 22, 2018, 02:10:47 PM
I can imagine some of these working with Serafinowicz's delivery, but when you just have line and the drawing I don't find it funny at all. It's tiring to read after a few of them. I love Peter, but that doesn't mean I have to think everything he does is automatically good.

Yeah, so much of Serafinowicz' work relies on his mastery of emulating recognisable, era appropriate vocal patterns and presentation styles. There's then the juxtaposition of the silliness against such a well observed imitation, and while some of it can stand alone, I'd say the real impact comes from the delivery.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Ghughesarch on June 21, 2018, 11:31:46 PM
So basically he's taken old Punch cartoons and added 'zany' captions? Like birthday card manufacturers have been doing for the last 20 years? Only 'zany' cos, like, it's Peter Serafinowicz and he's zany?

Not exactly. The book is a collection of jokes from his Twitter feed with illustrations added.

I had a flick through this when it came out five(?) years ago. There's a handful of nice lines in there, but I thought it was mildly amusing as best. Just a fairly unspectacular entry in the bygone subgenre of pointless tie-in books based on Twitter accounts.

Quote from: Steven on June 22, 2018, 02:02:57 PM
Also, isn't there no plan for a Volume 2, so that's meant to be a joke? Wouldn't the a joke be calling the first one Volume 2, or 3, 4, 7 or ANY other arbitrary number?

Surely the joke is the unlikely promise of a completed series that actually contains one billion jokes?

New Jack

Quote from: imitationleather on June 22, 2018, 02:10:47 PM

I bought it out of a genuine enjoyment for his work on the box, and I thought, Ah, this will be good, a dry, wry book. But this is so dry, the funny has evaporated, like cum in the hot sun - all that's left is a knowledge that it stinks.

Instead I don't even get to use it as bogroll as I got the digital edition and my phone takes enough of my shit as it is (if I had an old drawing by that line I could do a book!)

McFlymo

Ugh. Terrible.

His voice and delivery are great. I do love his odd sketch on the youtubes, but this is embarrassingly awful. Although, I guess he has to pay the bills somehow. Has he ever done any TV ads for big companies? Maybe he should.

I bought this a few years ago and if I remember, I was entertained.

I think it's supposed to be shit though.  Enjoy it

McFlymo

StuglePStugleton

Isn't it largely a collection of his tweets?

I like it though.

Famous Mortimer

He's the guest on the excellent "Dr Gameshow" podcast this week, if anyone likes that sort of thing.