Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:36:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spiritualized: And Nothing Hurt (new album - Sept 2018)

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, June 21, 2018, 09:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

Hello everyone. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Love this place.

Seen this, heard about this? https://thevinylfactory.com/news/spiritulaized-and-nothing-hurt-vinyl-box-set/

The new Spiritualized album (finally) coming out on Sept 7th. Two of the tracks are available to stream now.

I'm not very inspired by these latest offerings, I must say. A Perfect Miracle is pleasant enough, but to my ears sounds like a vague attempt at a rewrite of the title track of Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space.

Spiritualized are a band who are very close to my heart. I discovered them around the period of Ladies & Gentlemen and subsequently became a major fan. Having said that, in terms of their recorded output I'm of the opinion that their '90s material is far superior to what came afterwards.

I have a lot of respect for J. Spaceman's unhealthy dedication to his craft, and the fact that they remain a hypnotically brilliant live act. But that just makes it all the more disappointing that this new one doesn't seem to be anything special.

What think you? Is this good music? Or barmy old cack?

mojo filters

Perfect Miracle sounds nice enough, but I'm Your Man is nothing special. Plus whilst the video has some nice references and quality cinematography, it's rather generic for Spaceman - not a patch on the epic and appropriately dramatic Hey Jane.

I'm just hoping the rest of the album sounds more interesting. Having heard nearly all the tracks from this rather short album, when rough versions got played out on the later SHSL tour dates, I was sorry neither track released so far seems to have benefited from the careful studio craft that normally makes Spiritualized albums so special.

I'm not one who expects J to remake Pure Phase etc. I got bored after my second live Ladies And Gentlemen... show. I really loved Sweet Heart Sweet Light, especially having been privileged to hear it debuted in full at the RAH.

I hope there's also some storming rockers and epic anthems on And Nothing Hurt, but am a bit worried by what they've released so far.

After the really engaging Twitter campaign, teasing out each track title - I expected the album to be released right away, at least in digital format. Instead all that hope and momentum seems wasted, especially considering the full cost of pre-orders including shipping.

Since J thinks it might be his last Spiritualized album, I hope he nails it. If not, at least let's have a full tour ... and bring back You Lie You Cheat to the live set!

JohnnyCouncil

Like the comments above I've been a fan since Ladies and Gentlemen, however I love songs in A&E and particularly Amazing Grace (Rated X and The Ballad... 'Cor). Really enjoying both new songs and don't really mind of the clear rip off noted above. Other than the compilations (Complete works) I haven't really gone back earlier than Ladies and Gentlemen but I probably should.

SteveDave

Famous Mortimer

I was a Spacemen 3 fan from way back and once loved Spiritualized too. Loved the first "Ladies and Gentlemen..." show I saw, but then I saw them on the next tour and it bored me to tears. I spent the second half of the gig in the bar, and everything they've done since has been miserable. Maybe their music is for someone, but it's not for me.

SteveDave

I saw them in 2002 and was similarly b'd to ts. I wasn't expecting him to come on stage and do big rock kicks but he just sat on a stool on one side of the stage like he was being forced to play at gunpoint. Heroin must be great.

mojo filters

Quote from: SteveDave on June 22, 2018, 03:22:34 PM
I saw them in 2002 and was similarly b'd to ts. I wasn't expecting him to come on stage and do big rock kicks but he just sat on a stool on one side of the stage like he was being forced to play at gunpoint. Heroin must be great.

Of all the potential criticism fans or curious audience members could level at Spiritualized, J's gig posture seems incredibly petty and insignificant.

Ever since he began performing live with Spacemen 3, Jason's always positioned himself so he can communicate on stage with the rest of the band. It enhances his incredibly dynamic live gigs. It's not a critique I've encountered before.

For the record, every (excellent) gig I saw him play touring Songs in A&E featured a man standing. With a guitar. On a strap too. I imagine that would have blown your mind!

Of course heroin is great, why do you think it's so popular amongst keen users? If it was shite, I'm sure they'd find something else to spend all their money on...

SteveDave

I wasn't expecting him to be David Grohl but a "Hello" would've been nice. Even fucking Air said "Bonjour"

I think it was around the same time I saw Grandaddy and went for a walk around Bristol after 30 of the dullest minutes I've ever stood through. Another group who look like they're being forced to play.

Pebble_Mill

Quote from: mojo filters on June 22, 2018, 01:03:09 AM
I'm just hoping the rest of the album sounds more interesting. Having heard nearly all the tracks from this rather short album, when rough versions got played out on the later SHSL tour dates, I was sorry neither track released so far seems to have benefited from the careful studio craft that normally makes Spiritualized albums so special.

From what I've read he recorded a fair amount of the album himself at home. Gone are the days when he could camp in Abbey Road for months as he could when he was doing Let It Come Down.

I was pleasantly surprised on hearing Perfect Miracle that his voice sounds better than it did on SHSL where to me it sounded completely shot and I struggled to get anything from that album.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: SteveDave on June 22, 2018, 03:22:34 PM

I saw them at bestival when Stevie Wonder was headlining. They turned up about 20 minutes late, played about 3 songs then limply waved goodbye and fucked off.

A preferable to hearing stevie wank on about God and sunshine for an hour before playing superstition though.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on June 22, 2018, 07:58:11 AM
Other than the compilations (Complete works) I haven't really gone back earlier than Ladies and Gentlemen but I probably should.

You really should. If you've listened to Complete Works Vol. 1 you'll have an idea of what to expect. Lazer Guided Melodies and Pure Phase are both beautiful records.

To my ears there's a steady progression to the first 3 albums, building up to the sound on the Royal Albert Hall live record. By then they had a perfect balance of spaced-out psychedelia, and the more orchestral and gospel-y stuff. I didn't get a chance to see them live until the Amazing Grace tour in 2003(?) but I'd love to have seen the '90s lineup in their heyday.

I was also a bit put out by the 'sitting at the side on a stool' thing when I first saw Mr Spaceman, but I can forgive that on account that he and his band sure can play some damn good music. I don't need to see him strutting around onstage too. Best leave that to Iggy Pop.

greenman

Quote from: SteveDave on June 22, 2018, 01:36:22 PM
TAG "Jason's recorded his album again" TAG

The whole "the first time a song is played its at its most perfect" talk for Amazing Grace followed by evidence this clearly wasn't the case on record marked the point I really lost a lot of interest, still bought everything since then but not with any great enthusiasm.