Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Faces that you don't understand

Started by Replies From View, June 21, 2018, 09:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 22, 2018, 01:45:45 PM
Emma Stone

Her face looks like she's the victim of a mother who drank heavily during pregnancy, it's like it's been stretched too tightly over her skull. Something very odd looking about her but she's striking to look at I suppose.

That is one of the harshest, unfairest things I have read about anyone's appearance on these boards. I wouldn't expect that even in a Sun column. Kelvin MacKenzie could read that and think 'hmmm that seems a bit too much'.

Anyway, back to the subject. Paloma Faith = Planet Of The Apes and Frank Spencer Brotherhood had a baby.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Replies From View on June 22, 2018, 08:46:28 PM
But it doesn't make sense.  You can draw a line where his face should connect up on the left side of his face, based on the proportions seen on his right.  But instead his cheek balloons outwards.  It's not a jawline - it's an entire half-face glued to the side of his head.

Well its called caricature innit ?

Quote from: Replies From View on June 22, 2018, 08:46:28 PMFamily Guy characters suffer from the same wing-faced ugliness:

I can't be doing with it.

I was about to say 'have you ever seen David Coulthard, especially as a young man ?' but SGN kind of beat me to it.

That last one in particular isnt a million miles away from Seth McFarlanes ouvre.

He has nothing on the Bextor though.

My problem with Family Guy is the balls on his chin. stopped me watching it for years.

Replies From View

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 22, 2018, 09:19:28 PM
Well its called caricature innit ?

What, sticking a balloon to the side of somebody's face and painting it their skin colour?  A caricature should feature a semblance of something that already exists, not simply grab a cheek and pull it halfway across the room.

I just can't get my head around the geometry of them, and view them as ugly.  Is the style supposed to be a form of cubism, with us seeing both sides of their face at once?  It taxes me to look at their faces.  I find it stressful.

Based on the images of Coulthard above I'll accept the American Dad stylisation, even though I can't be looking at it myself.  But there's no excuse for Family Guy.

Isnt Anything

Which is odd because to my eyes Quagmire is less of a caricature in some ways than American Dad.

Im sorry you find it stressful its a shame cos AD can be fucking funny but i can understand what you mean for as already mentioned above i missed most of FG cos of chris chinballs. eventually i got used to it tho.

Replies From View

I actually take back my attempted acceptance of the American Dad stylisation - it's too much of an abomination.  I can't live with it; I'm sorry.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 22, 2018, 09:19:28 PM
My problem with Family Guy is the balls on his chin. stopped me watching it for years.

If you listen to the DVD commentaries as far back as the first season, the balls on Peter's chin were intentionally drawn to look like balls on a man's chin because they just thought it looked funny and suited the character.  It's even referenced more than once in the show itself. 

So, regardless of whether or not you like Family Guy, the balls have their place.

Must admit I find it incredibly odd that anyone would get so wound up about the way a cartoon character looks.  I mean even the more realistically drawn cartoon characters still have something unusual about them.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 22, 2018, 09:51:56 PM
Must admit I find it incredibly odd that anyone would get so wound up about the way a cartoon character looks.  I mean even the more realistically drawn cartoon characters still have something unusual about them.

It's hard to explain.  The fact that they are cartoon characters isn't really the point; I just find them ugly and stressful images to look at, so I just don't.  Perhaps my brain struggles to process them, but I might consider some art could be good for this reason, so I can't really explain it as that.  I don't get to the point where they wind me up - I just don't watch American Dad and Family Guy.

Maybe there's a style of music or comedy that gives you a similar feeling; it's really hard to explain otherwise.

idunnosomename

I did like that gag where Peter goes "how did these get here" and puts his chin in his pants

Because all the animation and character design in Family Guy is shit

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Yeah, the Family Guy character design is hideous.

Shaky

Emma Stone is insanely gorgeous, you fools.

This is cheating a bit but it's first thing I thought of:

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Shaky on June 23, 2018, 02:47:40 AM
Emma Stone is insanely gorgeous, you fools.

This is cheating a bit but it's first thing I thought of:

I see Toff is doing good

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 22, 2018, 08:51:05 PM
Lily Cole

I think anyone that fancies her should be put on some sort of government watchlist

smudge1971

Tetsu Yamauchi. Spoke entirely in Japanese.

pancreas

slicesofjim

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 22, 2018, 01:45:45 PM
Emma Stone

Her face looks like she's the victim of a mother who drank heavily during pregnancy, it's like it's been stretched too tightly over her skull. Something very odd looking about her but she's striking to look at I suppose.

Bit unfair on Emma Stone, that's a photo of Bill Hader

slicesofjim

Quote from: pancreas on June 24, 2018, 11:48:32 AM

Vinegar Tom, for example.

See, old Mad Matt just wanted the witches to tell him about their imps, look how touched he is. There'll be no more dunkings today!

Attila

I'm naming my next cat Sacke and Sugar.

New Jack

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 22, 2018, 08:51:05 PM
Lily Cole

Fucking hell, what's she come as?

Upside, no predators can sneak up on her

Sebastian Cobb

A while back I was trying to describe a mutual acquaintance to a mate and he just responded 'what, the guy that looks like a pig?'

It floored me as it conjured up images of Bebop out of TNMT.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It's not so much his face that disturbs me, it's his neck fat, which looks as though it's just waiting for an opportunity to break free and engulf his entire head. That carefully sculpted beard is fooling no-one. He's got a very low hairline too. The guy is fucked, basically.

Blue Jam

biggytitbo

You must never trust a man who has a small forehead.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 24, 2018, 09:53:33 PM
You must never trust a man who has a small forehead.

What if you are a situation where trusting such a man could save your life?

Trojan_Jockey

John Updike. The best way I can describe him is to say that his features are so big there is no room left for his face.

littlenell

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 24, 2018, 09:44:25 PM

It's not so much his face that disturbs me, it's his neck fat, which looks as though it's just waiting for an opportunity to break free and engulf his entire head. That carefully sculpted beard is fooling no-one. He's got a very low hairline too. The guy is fucked, basically.

Would.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: smudge1971 on June 24, 2018, 11:21:25 AM
Tetsu Yamauchi. Spoke entirely in Japanese.

Seriously underrated post.

Clownbaby

This boi always bothers me a bit. He looks like he doesn't actually have any hair and someone cut him some felt shapes to put on. Then you've got the sort of deformed looking eyes... I've got a high threshold for odd faces but I really don't like this one