Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:45:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What are the good pubs in the following towns and cities:

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, June 21, 2018, 11:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

I once had a pint in The Plough in Worcester with a bunch of university ones, including a guy who looked like a team captain from the original Crystal Maze. After a few glasses, Crystal Dave told us that he'd gotten engaged that week. The ladies among us offered their squeals and the lads said "mate" in their sentences. But Dave-o was a bit of a weird-o, and said one of the best things I've ever heard, burned forever into the most absorbent cracks of my mind's ear.

"It was a facile solution to a complex problem."

Getting married to his betrothed, Italian girl as I remember, was justified as a facile solution to a complex problem. He wasn't asked for justification but offered it nonetheless. It was extremely funny. I've never med any proper oddball characters here in Ireland, but Crystal Dave was someone to remember. I was awful fond of him, and his robotic impression of a brain.

Anyway, all the Wuster ones swore that The Plough was the best pub, good beers, crisps etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MoonDust on June 22, 2018, 05:17:00 AM
Only pubs I went to in Aberdeen were the Wig, Ma Cameron's, and St. Machar Bar. The lattermost is in Old Aberdeen. My favourite out of those was St. Machar. The other two were pretty standard, although Ma Cameron's is in a nice old building.

Don't mind the snug in Ma's. I always preferred the Red Lion (aka 'the beastie') to the Machar though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAnyway, all the Wuster ones swore that The Plough was the best pub, good beers, crisps etc.

Surprised they didn't ask Jeeves

bgmnts

I am in the local spoons just sat here on my own nursing a pint reflecting on how pathetic I am.

I love life.

Edit - decided to go home after the 4th suicide fantasy and  human induced sense of worthlessness and bitterness.

Fuck pubs.

dallasman

The Shit Ritz
The Liquorice Banana
The Cuck and Bores
The Farage Tea Rooms
A Microbrewery
Two Guys, One Tap
Dildo's
The Last Gasp Cafe
Fritzl's
The Respatex Loft
Old Racist & Son
Clingfilm Caverns
Beige Harvest
The Beef Curtain
The Yeasty Feast

Sorry these aren't in order, but that should be all of them.

The Lurker

One of the bouncers at the pub next to Carlisle's train station (The Griffin) is a knobhead so, personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Lurker on June 22, 2018, 03:18:20 PM
One of the bouncers at the pub next to Carlisle's train station (The Griffin) is a knobhead so, personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

I think I had my first proper lock in in a pub near Carlisle. It was in weardale, by the end of it the barman was too pissed to serve people and it became an honour system.

New Jack

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2018, 01:08:23 PM
I am in the local spoons just sat here on my own nursing a pint reflecting on how pathetic I am.

I love life.

Edit - decided to go home after the 4th suicide fantasy and  human induced sense of worthlessness and bitterness.

Fuck pubs.

We are fucking sole mates

That isn't a typo. We have no others

phes

Craft beer finally arrived in Portsmouth last year so I can't speak for whatever has sprung up since then, but my favourite all round good boozer/adequate or better booze pubs are The King Street Tavern and The Phoenix (local to Kings Theatre so gets yer celebs in after shows and walls are covered with dusty old celeb pics from the 70s/80s/90/s. I have met Lucy Ewing and HUNTER THE GLADIATOR in there) For decent belgian and craft booze is the bar Huis, best for real ale and craft and forrin muk and also a lovely little boozer is The Hole in the Wall (brewers of the award winning and outstanding Oakleaf Hole Hearted Golden Ale)

There's a tap room on Rodney road industrial estate now for Staggeringly Good Brewery. It's very pleasant, music, bit of decor etc and their craft beer was really good and a sensible price (£4 for 5.5% pint or 6.8% 2/3)

Also worth looking into: Sir Loin of Beef (The Slob), Wave Maiden, Brewhouse

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

Now I think of it the best pub in Aberdeen is also the shittest. That would be The Regent.

Cuellar

Genuine question : ARE there any good pubs in Southampton?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on June 22, 2018, 06:36:29 PM
Genuine question : ARE there any good pubs in Southampton?

The me and my mate Bob used to convene in the Red Lion before going to Bestival. That was an alright pub. They had a parrot flying around.

dr beat

Not in my experience. Soton just seemed full of Slug & Lettuce clones apart from one half decent student goth pub.

St_Eddie

If any of you ever find yourselves in Winchester and fancy a pint, then for the love of God, don't go in to The Eclipse because that's my local and it would just be awkward to bump into a fellow CaBer and engage in stilted conversation.  Ta.

New Jack

Quote from: dr beat on June 22, 2018, 06:39:22 PM
Not in my experience. Soton just seemed full of Slug & Lettuce clones apart from one half decent student goth pub.

Much prefer the Snail and Potato

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 22, 2018, 11:06:41 AM
Lancaster...

The Tap House is the closest thing I've got to a local, not in terms of proximity (it's in the city centre) but frequency of visits. Definitely the best for variety, if not sheer quantity, and it hits my personal tastes - it serves four real ales, half a dozen or so 'craft' beers (not just U.S. style craft beers, UK and European stuff too - Erdinger is usually on) on tap, has two large fridges full of all kinds of bottled beers and does gins, single malts etc.

Is that the one on one of the main streets that offers folk and sausages (or something)? Loads of old Punch cartoons in the toilets (or something)?

Cuellar

Quote from: dr beat on June 22, 2018, 06:39:22 PM

Yeah, thought as much. My other half grew up there and in my many visits to the place I've never been to a good pub. I mean, there's The Hobbit, but that isn't 'good'. It's different, but not good.

Looking on Beer In The Evening there actually seem to be a couple of new places that look alright. One of the poledancing places is also on there, and provides this lovely slice of desolation:

QuoteSmall pole dancing club/pub. Cheap beer, sexy pole dancers, friendly staff and customers, free entry, no dress code, late closing. What more could you want? Even took my daughter here.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2018, 06:25:39 PM
Now I think of it the best pub in Aberdeen is also the shittest. That would be The Regent.
Where was that? I thought I recognised the name but I was confusing it for the one in Edinburgh.

Most of the pubs I know in Aberdeen are of the studenty type or the Spoons type, so I'm probably not that much help. St Machar Bar (near Aberdeen University, but not that studenty) and Old Blackfriars were pretty good last time I was there, though, for real ale and being generally atmospheric.

idunnosomename

Fuck it. Go to 'Spoons, cask ales, kids who know how to pull a pint, food till eleven.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2018, 01:08:23 PM

I love life.

Fuck pubs.

see look at the rich specimens of human life there are at 'spoons. Beautiful

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on June 22, 2018, 10:10:55 PM
Where was that? I thought I recognised the name but I was confusing it for the one in Edinburgh.

Most of the pubs I know in Aberdeen are of the studenty type or the Spoons type, so I'm probably not that much help. St Machar Bar (near Aberdeen University, but not that studenty) and Old Blackfriars were pretty good last time I was there, though, for real ale and being generally atmospheric.

The beastie was on The Spital, just opposite the Khyber Pass; it fed into the same road as The Machar.

I basically most of my 20's being smashed in there just propping up the bar. I had nothing better to do.

Shit Good Nose

Spoons do a pretty decent cooked brekkie at a good price though, and I'm pretty sure that's one spoons related thing that most CaBbers agree on.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2018, 10:50:19 PM
The beastie was on The Spital, just opposite the Khyber Pass; it fed into the same road as The Machar.

I basically most of my 20's being smashed in there just propping up the bar. I had nothing better to do.
That's the Red Lion, surely? I went in there once with some friends as an undergraduate, but it wasn't my favourite.

Brian Freeze

Is the John o Gaunt still going?  I was told that it had changed beyond all recognition,  including the name. Quite possibly been sold a load of old horseshit though.

Can any Lancasterians,  remember a pub,  possibly up near the Alex that had a couple of parrots wandering around freely in the ceiling area? It's definitely gone now, maybe student accommodation but I'd love to know the name of it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on June 22, 2018, 10:52:02 PM
That's the Red Lion, surely? I went in there once with some friends as an undergraduate, but it wasn't my favourite.

Aye - The Beastie is not very clever code for 'lion'.

I can fully understand why visitors wouldn't like it, but I fucking loved the place. Made some great friends there.

Dunno when you went in, obviously, but I remember in my early days the tables had little shelves underneath them so you could tuck your drink away and play cards or backgammon or whatever.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 22, 2018, 10:53:46 PM
Can any Lancasterians,  remember a pub,  possibly up near the Alex that had a couple of parrots wandering around freely in the ceiling area?

I googled that because I've heard that mentioned in other forums.  And I wound up going through some weird wormhole to a parallel, or possibly future universe.  Take a looksee - http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10002.0

How fucking weird is that.