Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are the good pubs in the following towns and cities:

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, June 21, 2018, 11:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2018, 10:56:28 PM
Aye - The Beastie is not very clever code for 'lion'.

I can fully understand why visitors wouldn't like it, but I fucking loved the place. Made some great friends there.

Dunno when you went in, obviously, but I remember in my early days the tables had little shelves underneath them so you could tuck your drink away and play cards or backgammon or whatever.
Ah, no, I meant The Regent (the one in your post I quoted) - whereabouts is it?

MoonDust

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 22, 2018, 10:57:57 PM
I googled that because I've heard that mentioned in other forums.  And I wound up going through some weird wormhole to a parallel, or possibly future universe.  Take a looksee - http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10002.0

How fucking weird is that.

This is fucking brilliant. Mildly amused that the text on the website is twice the size as here (old age stereotype I guess), but I guffawed when I went on the general discussion board and saw a thread titled "I have no sympathy for graffiti artists killed by train."

You've opened a can of worms, mate. Maybe we've found a new forum rival.

Edit: Interestingly, it seems most people are piling on the OP for having no sympathy over rather than three criminal vandals getting their comeuppance, three young people died in tragic circumstances. I was fully expecting a thread full of nods of agreement. Oh, how I judge...

Lymm has an excellent assortment of pubs in very close proximity. Might be moving there but not for this reason.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 21, 2018, 11:41:52 PM

Preston
Worcester

I used to live in Preston and found that it was mostly trash for drinking, aside from the Black Horse, a nice Arts & Crafts style building with a beautiful interior. Over the last few years things have improved my former housemate has become something of a local pub magnate, refurbing old gaffs and turning them salubrious. The Continental, down by the river, is probably the best one.

Right now I live in Worcester and echo whoever above said The Plough. It's probably, despite my not really liking living here that much, my favourite pub ever, I think? And even though I don't really drink nor do I carry cash often (it doesn't take card) I try and make an effort to go there as it has a homely feel without being parochial. The conversation mentioned previously...I can completely imagine that happening in there. If it was in Oxford or Nottingham it would be crammed full of students but because Worcester's university has minimal impact on the city, it has more of a diverse clientele, from history LARPers to jaded science lecturers to CAMRA blokes and rumour has it they occasionally have women in.

Other good pubs here are

- The Bull Baiter (micro-pub on the other side of the river, great selection of beer and cider, no music)
- The Cardinal's Hat (cosy, old, decent beer)
- The King Charles (Tudor building, apparently where Charles II hid before fleeing, wonky interior and they do nice pies and a selection of home-brewed fruit wines)
- The Firefly (expensive yes but decent music - sometimes bands on - and good selection. Last time I went in they'd gone vegan. Wonder if that will stick)

There are some pubs in Barbourne, literally just to the north of the city centre, like the Dragon, Cap & Gown, that have a good reputation but I never go because they're the wrong end of town. Also in this general area a brewery/beer hall type thing that opens weekends only called The Sociable Beer House (or something) - I went there and it wasn't great to be honest, though it was popular. Another micropub opened recently called The Oil Basin but I haven't been in. The two times I've tried, it was rammed.

There's also one on Malvern Rd called the Brunswick Arms. I suppose for drinks enthusiasts it's nothing to write home about but the pub quiz is barmy and fun and the whole set up there is based around entertainment - lots of emphasis on pub games, etc. I like it but it's not for everyone.

A little further out you have The Mug House in Claines. It's Britain's only pub in a graveyard. Popular with cyclists and running clubs and that. The Huntsman Inn in Green Street (a village just outside the southern bypass) is a nice quiet country pub. People might mention the Fox and the Bear & Ragged Staff in Bransford. They're not worth the trip.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: MoonDust on June 23, 2018, 07:32:19 AM
This is fucking brilliant.

I was amused by the thread titled "Foot Ball".

I bet there's a biggy-type conspiracy nut on there as well, but all the conspiracies are about how they put less biscuits in packs but charge the same or more.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on June 22, 2018, 11:49:53 PM
Ah, no, I meant The Regent (the one in your post I quoted) - whereabouts is it?

Regent Quay, there used to be a pub next to it as well but that got turned into flats.

Now I think of it, the people that owned The Machar also owned The Adam Lounge in the west end. That was an alright pub.

The Kirkgate, Masada and The Bridge Bar (so old it doesn't even have a women's toilet) are all owned by the same guy. One of my pals works in the Masada, that's a decent boozer.

I used to play darts for the lion and somewhere else so I've seen the inside of most of Aberdeens boozers.

George Oscar Bluth II

In Lincoln the Strugglers and the Victoria round the back of the Castle are both proper old school ale pubs. Lovely selection and you'll get stares if you order whatever generic lager they have.

Both generally full of miserable old gits so everyone on here would fit in nicely.

The ones along Steep Hill and the Bail are much of a muchness. The Lion and Snake is basically a crap chain place that's trying to ape Spoons, which is a bit grim. Magna Carta very much the same but it's so big you can guarantee you'll get a seat and a table. Widow Cullen's Well on Steep Hill is a Sam Smiths, nice inside and is insanely cheap. But you have to drink Sam Smiths so...

Strait and Narrow and the Cardinal's Hat are newer, slightly hipper places. All craft ale and beards.

Unbelievably Lincoln actually lost a Wetherspoons a few years back. Imagine the shame. Only two left now, of which I suggest the Ritz on the high street rather than the Square Sail on the Brayford Pool.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 22, 2018, 10:57:57 PM
I googled that because I've heard that mentioned in other forums.  And I wound up going through some weird wormhole to a parallel, or possibly future universe.  Take a looksee - http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10002.0

How fucking weird is that.

Thats fabulous and despite there being a very simple and obvious explanation it is still surprisingly weird isnt it ?

i want to sign up !

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 23, 2018, 01:33:22 PMall the conspiracies are about how they put less biscuits in packs but charge the same or more.

but thats true !  its called shrinkflation.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 22, 2018, 06:48:15 PM
If any of you ever find yourselves in Winchester and fancy a pint, then for the love of God, don't go in to The Eclipse because that's my local and it would just be awkward to bump into a fellow CaBer and engage in stilted conversation.  Ta.

That looks good but what about all those shitty reviews of the place? Justified?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 22, 2018, 07:18:57 AM
there's nothing decent (pubs or otherwise) in Stoke itself but in neighbouring Burslem, there's The Bull's Head  which is a really great Titanic pub.

Yep, that'll do very nicely indeed. Looks a belter.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 23, 2018, 03:58:31 PM
That looks good but what about all those shitty reviews of the place? Justified?

The shitty reviews are almost exclusively in relation to a certain bar lady (whom pretty much only works during the daytime) and yes, they're absolutely justified.  Face like thunder; abrupt; impolite.  Nice enough once you get to know her though, or more precisely, once she gets to know you.  Most of the other staff are very friendly (landlord aside, though he doesn't serve customers.  He just sits in the back, scowling).

The locals are incredibly welcoming.  Myself included.  Still, if you're a CaBer, then stay away because it would just be awkward.

Just joking, fellow CaBers.  Come along.  We'll suffer through the awkward conversation until we're drunk and then have a fist fight.  It'll be a night to remember.  I promise you that much.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 22, 2018, 10:53:46 PM
Is the John o Gaunt still going?  I was told that it had changed beyond all recognition,  including the name. Quite possibly been sold a load of old horseshit though.

Still there, still the John O'Gaunt, and hasn't changed at all, which means it's tatty as fuck. A few years ago the landlord who'd run it for eons fucked off all of a sudden and it was shut for months. Reopened eventually, still notable only for the abominable blues-rock or punk that blasts out of its door of an afternoon, pissing off shoppers everywhere.

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 22, 2018, 10:53:46 PM
Can any Lancasterians,  remember a pub,  possibly up near the Alex that had a couple of parrots wandering around freely in the ceiling area? It's definitely gone now, maybe student accommodation but I'd love to know the name of it

Went there a few times. Think the parrot shat on my mum's head once. Good.

Can't remember the name right now, it'll come to me.

Norton Canes

Got it... 'Vicky'.

Not sure about the pub though. 

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2018, 01:47:38 PM
Regent Quay, there used to be a pub next to it as well but that got turned into flats.

Now I think of it, the people that owned The Machar also owned The Adam Lounge in the west end. That was an alright pub.

The Kirkgate, Masada and The Bridge Bar (so old it doesn't even have a women's toilet) are all owned by the same guy. One of my pals works in the Masada, that's a decent boozer.

I used to play darts for the lion and somewhere else so I've seen the inside of most of Aberdeens boozers.
Ah, down by the harbour - I wasn't really down there very much, which probably explains it. What did you think of The Grill? It looked rough from the outside but was pretty good inside.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on June 23, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
Ah, down by the harbour - I wasn't really down there very much, which probably explains it. What did you think of The Grill? It looked rough from the outside but was pretty good inside.

The Grill was a decent pub I thought, a good stop off if you were going to the theatre.

Did you ever go to Carmines Italian restaurant on the green?

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2018, 11:27:18 PM
The Grill was a decent pub I thought, a good stop off if you were going to the theatre.

Did you ever go to Carmines Italian restaurant on the green?
Nah, I was never there - was it good? I never went to restaurants much in my Aberdeen days unless it was my birthday or my parents were visiting. I was a skint undergraduate and then a skint, mostly unemployed sod, so I was scraping the barrel most of the time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on June 23, 2018, 11:38:14 PM
Nah, I was never there - was it good? I never went to restaurants much in my Aberdeen days unless it was my birthday or my parents were visiting. I was a skint undergraduate and then a skint, mostly unemployed sod, so I was scraping the barrel most of the time.

It was brilliant; it was run by a curmudgeonly Italian fella and the waitress was scarily rude. You could get a fantastic feed for a tenner.

I didn't eat out all that much when I lived there. Did you ever go to Drummonds? I always liked that place.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2018, 11:41:51 PM
It was brilliant; it was run by a curmudgeonly Italian fella and the waitress was scarily rude. You could get a fantastic feed for a tenner.

I didn't eat out all that much when I lived there. Did you ever go to Drummonds? I always liked that place.
I was in there precisely once. I kept seeing things that I thought I'd like to go to there, but never ended up going to them. Story of my life, probably.

edit: Meant to say, it was quite good. Can't remember who I saw in there.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on June 23, 2018, 11:48:53 PM
I was in there precisely once. I kept seeing things that I thought I'd like to go to there, but never ended up going to them. Story of my life, probably.

edit: Meant to say, it was quite good. Can't remember who I saw in there.

It's not my job to tell you what you should've done with your life cg but you you should've gone more. It was a brilliant place.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Neville Chamberlain

buttgammon

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 24, 2018, 10:28:56 AM
Come on, I know there's loads of you in The Wales.

There aren't any good pubs though

Erm, the Corn Mill in Llangollen is good.

New Jack

Does London have any good pubs

I'm going in a month I'll be staying by Finsbury Park

Prefer pints under £5, Samuel Smiffs innit guv

I've downloaded the Vice maps but a feeling of 'who the fuck am I' stole over me so my current plan is to wing it and rely on my street crew*

*m8s who moved there and now work for the civil service

Mister Six

Quote from: New Jack on June 24, 2018, 03:16:22 PM
Does London have any good pubs

I'm going in a month I'll be staying by Finsbury Park

Prefer pints under £5, Samuel Smiffs innit guv

I've downloaded the Vice maps but a feeling of 'who the fuck am I' stole over me so my current plan is to wing it and rely on my street crew*

*m8s who moved there and now work for the civil service

I think The Angel near Shaftesbury Avenue is fairly affordable, or was when I was there years ago. Other than that the only acceptable places are Sam Smith's pubs. That's about 20 mins from Finsbury Park though, sorry.

the science eel

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2018, 03:20:41 PM
I think I had my first proper lock in in a pub near Carlisle. It was in weardale, by the end of it the barman was too pissed to serve people and it became an honour system.

Carlisle's worth a visit.

State-owned pubs right up until the early 70s to 'protect' fellas working in the munitions factories in the area. So you couldn't buy rounds etc. (mind this had finished long before the state handed them back to the private sector).

https://historicengland.org.uk/whats-new/first-world-war-home-front/what-we-already-know/land/state-control-of-pubs/

phes

Quote from: Cuellar on June 22, 2018, 06:36:29 PM
Genuine question : ARE there any good pubs in Southampton?

Yes. As a Portsmouth lad i should probably be posting this from an anon account, but

The Guide Dog
The Wellington
South Western Arms (St Denys)
Junction Inn (St Denys)
The Rockstone
Freemantle Arms

it's possible some of these may have closed as it's been a few years since i went

also apparently the butchers hooks and bookshop alehouse are newer and decent

canadagoose

Quote from: the science eel on June 25, 2018, 09:03:04 AM
to 'protect' fellas working in the munitions factories in the area. So you couldn't buy rounds etc.
Bit ironic, that.

I'll buck the trend on Stoke pubs and say that while the Titanic pubs are alright and that they are consistent in quality around the area, the beer they sell is trash. You might find it in a local Tesco if you want to find out for yourself.

If you include Newcastle Under Lyme, there are quite a few good boozers in the area that have character and sell quality ale.

Bottlecraft (bottle shop)
Holy Inadequate (gold winner in the CAMRA stakes for years)
Hop Inn (NuL, but best beer selection in the area by a long, long way. Recent usurper of the CAMRA crown)
Coachmakers had loads of character, but now seems to have closed recently.

There are tons of new craft/bottle bars opening around Hartshill/Newcastle, and the majority of them are very good in terms of product and absence of rascals.