Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are the good pubs in the following towns and cities:

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, June 21, 2018, 11:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'll also add that Burslem has quite a few pubs with character. The Leopard, as well as having a tunnel that runs under it, seems to be the assembly point for couples before going to the swingers' club round the corner.

New page sex swing twat.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

May as well recommend the nicer Leeds pubs while I'm at it

Grove Inn - snug, proper lounge, old fashioned spit and sawdust type bar area, concert room for folk gigs
The Angel Inn - Sam Smiths, characterful alleyway venue with its own yard, feels like a museum, gets all sorts of folks old/young, rich/poor.
The Cardigan Arms - Kirkstall Brewery have done a good job refurbishing this place, getting back the Victorian splendour while still remaining down to earth and comfy.
The Chemic - simply a comfortable, friendly neighborhood boozer, ungentrified and happy to remain that way
Whitelocks - the best preserved venue, Victorian luncheon bar with original features, cramped but characterful, there's not much like it

littlenell

Bournemouth...sixty million post cards

Southampton...joiners arms, but last time i went was 25 years ago

St_Eddie

Quote from: littlenell on June 25, 2018, 07:54:06 PM
Southampton...joiners arms, but last time i went was 25 years ago

Speaking of Southampton, I can recommend The Hobbit, which has cheap drinks and an absolutely MASSIVE garden, with amazing airbrushed art adorning its walls...

You see that art in the very far distance, at the top and towards the right?  You can sit all the way back there and you're still only seeing 1/3rd of the garden in this photo.  Like I said, it's MASSIVE!  Great for a sneaky joint, during quieter hours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, still in Southampton, there's The Orange Rooms; a very fancy bar but the real attraction is upstairs, where you'll find a tiki styled room, with tropical fish in a tank next to the tables.  Go here during the weekday and you're liable to have this whole upstairs area to yourself, as most patrons stay downstairs.  It even has its own bar, where in my experience a bad lady will come upstairs to serve you drinks.  It's like having your very own private bar!

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on June 22, 2018, 09:54:30 AM
Shepton Beauchamp (Somerset, just outside Yeovil):

The Haystack
The Hayestack
The Haystacke
The Hayestacke
Ye Haystack
Ye Hayestack
Ye Haystacke
Ye Hayestacke
Ye Olde Haystack
Ye Olde Hayestack
Ye Olde Haystacke
Ye Olde Hayestacke
In 2020 it will be a 'Spoons. Oh hang on this is not the desolation thread....

PowerButchi

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 24, 2018, 10:28:56 AM
Come on, I know there's loads of you in The Wales.

Ruabon, just outside Wrexham has two absolutely corking pubs in The Vaults and The Bridge End. Quality ales.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 22, 2018, 10:53:46 PM
Can any Lancasterians,  remember a pub,  possibly up near the Alex that had a couple of parrots wandering around freely in the ceiling area? It's definitely gone now, maybe student accommodation but I'd love to know the name of it.

Got it: The Navigation

jobotic

Spent the weekend in Nottingham. Didn't get to pubs we meant to as we got stuck in The Angel. No bad thing.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 03, 2018, 07:54:12 PM
Got it: The Navigation

Excellent work,  thankyou.

That link does explain why when we went in once we met a couple of what we would call chaps in those days,  dressed like Carmen Miranda including full fruit bowl headwear.

They looked fabulous and there wouldnt have been anywhere else they could have gone in town like that.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Brian Freeze on July 04, 2018, 05:29:02 AM
Excellent work,  thankyou

No worries

Quote from: Brian Freeze on July 04, 2018, 05:29:02 AM
That link does explain why when we went in once we met a couple of what we would call chaps in those days,  dressed like Carmen Miranda including full fruit bowl headwear.

They looked fabulous and there wouldnt have been anywhere else they could have gone in town like that

If I'd have known we were going to be posting on the same message board years later I'd have said hello.