Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nine Inch Nails - Bad Witch

Started by Shaky, June 22, 2018, 01:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

New NIN released today and it's on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMKnM5WNfk0

In keeping with the last two eps, it's really rather good. Mileage may vary depending on whether you think Trent is simply recycling himself now (and he's not reinventing the wheel to be fair) but most of the tracks are great and it's nice to hear some scuzzy, visceral Nails again,.

JohnnyCouncil

Listening to this now. Cribbing for the show on Sunday. Sounds pretty good and I've liked these 3 eps over the last year but if I'm honest it's all about The Fragile for me.

As a side note and being a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan it's great to see how Trent has held onto his artistic and commerical dignity.

Scurrying around like a mad cunt trying to get tix for this weekend at a reasonable cost.

magval

Three listens today. It is good. Might be the best of these three EPs, even without an easy single like last summer's Less Than.

VelourSpirit

Love every song. I don't think I could pick a favourite but I've been playing Over and Out a lot.

Set list for the Sunday show looks magical. Decent amount of new stuff.

Shaky

Quote from: TwinPeaks on June 24, 2018, 10:51:24 PM
Love every song. I don't think I could pick a favourite but I've been playing Over and Out a lot.

Yeah, it's a good 'un and this trilogy has featured some of the most focused, natural sounding stuff Trent's put out in years. Bad Witch is getting torn apart by some of the fans, though, which I find a bit baffling. At least half the record sounds exactly like you'd expect NIN to sound and the rest is hardly bloody skiffle. I've even read complaints that it's too noisy!

Fans, eh?

magval

I've not read reviews of bands I love in years. This is the only forum I'm still active on, matter of fact. Hate the Internet.

Did any of youse get the 'physical component' for the first EP, Not The Actual Events, back before the discs had been pressed?

Shaky

Quote from: magval on June 25, 2018, 08:44:28 AM
Did any of youse get the 'physical component' for the first EP, Not The Actual Events, back before the discs had been pressed?

Yeah. I got it ordered to work and freaked out that the package might contain something sackable so googled it first!

magval

I stayed away from any discussion of it online, and I'm glad I did. I'll never forget the moment it occurred to me that not only did you have to destroy it to open it (fuck you, collectors!) but that by design, each and every copy if used properly would be completely unique.

When I eventually did break my forum sabbatical I read about people opening it with tweezers, cleaning it and framing the sheets. Haven't been back since.

alan nagsworth

Very impressed with this. Both the sax and Reznor's crooning on Over And Out and God Break Down The Door definitely sound like they were inspired by Bowie's Blackstar, I reckon. It's a nice direction, it works well. Good effort lads.

Dirty Boy

I've also been digging the new stuff. I'd kind of lost touch with NIN since With Teeth which i found very mediocre. Have i missed anything since that came out? (that's good obv).

Shaky

Quote from: Dirty Boy on July 12, 2018, 02:15:17 PM
I've also been digging the new stuff. I'd kind of lost touch with NIN since With Teeth which i found very mediocre. Have i missed anything since that came out? (that's good obv).

I think of With Teeth as a turning point as well. Took ages to come out, then it was pretty disappointing and made me approach all subsequent stuff with caution until happily Reznor and Ross got their fire back with the recent trilogy.

Year Zero and the instrumental Ghosts I–IV are a lot better than WT although the latter is way, waaaay too long and repetitive at 36 tracks. After that, you've got The Slip which is totally forgettable and Hesitation Marks which has some cracking tunes in the first half before turning into NIN-by-numbers.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 25, 2018, 09:18:30 PM
Very impressed with this. Both the sax and Reznor's crooning on Over And Out and God Break Down The Door definitely sound like they were inspired by Bowie's Blackstar, I reckon. It's a nice direction, it works well. Good effort lads.

I had to check my CD player to make sure I wasn't going mad when I heard that Sax! - tis indeed very nice.