Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:50:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peterborough

Started by madhair60, June 22, 2018, 08:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Ever been to Peterborough? Christ.

the

Well I can't say that I expected Peterborough as the venue for His return

dex

Desolation Central, right there.

Beagle 2

Gregory Torso

I once took a bus through it. Foul. It's where the Peters live and its foul.

Neville Chamberlain

I saw Barbara Windsor signing books in the local Peterborough branch of W.H. Smiths.

I bought The The's last album Naked Self there on the day it came out.

The two above incidents might have happened on the same day.

Buelligan

Never been.  Nice, is it?  Good craic.

Gregory Torso

Gas this borough of Peters

king_tubby

My sister lives there. We once went to an indie night in a pub where the bouncer had a tattoo of an eagle holding a swastika on his head.

This was probably about 15 years ago, before that kind of thing was fashionable.

Neville Chamberlain

Neville Chamberlain

One thing I found odd was that the "Welcome to Peterborough" signs seem to be positioned miles away from where any form of urban area actually starts.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Went there once. Basically yes. I felt like I could taste human shit just by walking around. The city centre feels as though the urban planners just went "arsed mate" and left halfway through building it. Similar vibe to Bedford and Chelmsford, but even they have a sort of homespun charm (of sorts).

I will say however that the cathedral is alright, and unlike Cambridge, you could feasibly imagine affording to live there fairly easily.

DArtagnan

Used to go to the Fletton Brickworks in Peterborough years ago to get a return load to London when I was truck driving.
Always fascinated by the amount of Italians working there, apparently there was an influx in the fifties, rather like the gastarbeiters, (guest workers), who went to Germany at the same time, from Turkey and the Balkans.

Chollis

a shithole to be sure

Buelligan

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 22, 2018, 10:16:33 AM
Went there once. Basically yes. I felt like I could taste human shit just by walking around.

A man probably left the lid up.

FredNurke

[tag]Archieandorews[/tag]

Cerys

Gregory Torso

True story, I saw a man at Peterborough bus station whipping a dead moth with a shoelace.

the midnight watch baboon

if IASIP was remade for the UK, it would be in Peterborough. It could even retain its acronym.

Although the passport office staff are friendly enough and the cathedral really is a vision.

king_tubby

Yeah, the cathedral is great. There's also a lot of very nice villages surrounding it.

Chollis

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on June 22, 2018, 11:03:08 AM
if IASIP was remade for the UK, it would be in Peterborough. It could even retain its acronym.

Although the passport office staff are friendly enough and the cathedral really is a vision.

Can't speak highly enough of the Peterborough Passport Office, or PBPPO as the locals call it. Lost my passport about 2 days before going on holiday and they sorted me a new one in a few short hours!

SpiderChrist

Quote from: king_tubby on June 22, 2018, 11:13:23 AM
Yeah, the cathedral is great. There's also a lot of very nice villages surrounding it.

Sadly, the villages are full of arseholes, cunts, pricks, wankers and other assorted bad types. Folk in Cambridge will diss Peterborough, but that's because a) it is genuinely shit and b) Cambridge is full of up-themselves dickheads.

Buelligan

Let's do them after Slough then.

Lived there for 3 years and left about 12 years ago. It's not a complete and utter dump like Luton say but it's not great either. About the only thing it has going for it is cheap housing and being commutable from London. Full of small minded little Brexiters.

madhair60

There's a quite good games stall on the market there. It's just basically a vast pile of games. Quite into that. You feel like the place could come down on you any second.

idunnosomename

Went right down the shitter after Henry VIII kicked the monks out

Fucking ring road too

Rolf Lundgren

Catherine of Aragon's buried there, that's worth seeing. The city centre has a Wimpy too. It's alright, certainly not the worst place to spend a few hours. It's also in a good location handy to get to lots of other places. The lowest conurbation on the A1 to have a Northern accent.

Sebastian Cobb

Not been.

Been to Redditch though.

Chollis

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 22, 2018, 12:30:19 PM
Sadly, the villages are full of arseholes, cunts, pricks, wankers and other assorted bad types. Folk in Cambridge will diss Peterborough, but that's because a) it is genuinely shit and b) Cambridge is full of up-themselves dickheads.

I live equidistant between Peterborough and Cambridge, so I really get the best of both worlds.

Sebastian Cobb

Is Peterborough one of those fenland places that German POW's were sent to in the hope they'd mix the gene pool up a bit?

My mum grew up in a village in Evesham. The sorts of places where the town 6 miles down the road is considered 'away'. She took a nursing job there and got a cagey reception from one woman because apparently she'd been on a date with her fella before she met my dad. So only about 40 years ago.