Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,318
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peterborough

Started by madhair60, June 22, 2018, 08:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on June 22, 2018, 11:03:08 AM
if IASIP was remade for the UK, it would be in Peterborough. It could even retain its acronym.

Although the passport office staff are friendly enough and the cathedral really is a vision.

I've always pictured a uk version of IASIP being set in Birmingham. Guess the 'sunny' part wouldn't really work though.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on June 22, 2018, 02:22:47 PM
The lowest conurbation on the A1 to have a Northern accent.

Nah it's a mostly Fen accent mixed with a featureless (like the Fens themselves lolz) southern accent.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Chollis on June 22, 2018, 02:33:27 PM
I live equidistant between Peterborough and Cambridge, so I really get the best of both worlds.

Living the dream.

Isnt Anything

I had to go to the passport office once, which went very well, and afterwards i stood in the plaza out the front and admired the fountain and thought 'this seems like quite a nice place'.

that is my sum total of Peterborough info. i dont even remember how i got there or where i parked.

it also seems that i dont even remember that there isnt a fountain. but it looks as if it SHOULD have one. did it used to ?

https://goo.gl/maps/GBAzj4MBYAo

idunnosomename

I've stayed in the Travelodge twice, first time some rugby team the night before had pulled off half the door handles, the second time I saw some totally pissed lads fighting, rolling around on the floor outside on the road (it's next to "Angels" night club). The fight concluded by one of them managed to stand up, and pulled his opponent's tracksuit bottoms off by pulling at his legs.

My other favourite Peterborough thing was walking towards a woman pushing a pram in the early morning, and I was thinking "there's no way that has a baby in it" and yeah, it was a broken TV or something.

manticore

Quote from: Buelligan on June 22, 2018, 10:30:44 AM
A man probably left the lid up.

I've only recently learnt in my 50s that this is a bad thing to do! And I now understand that you should put the lid down before you flush because horrible stuff gets sprayed around.  This is really down to my lackadaisical family upbringing though and I grew up in Cambridge next to Peterborough so that probably has something to do with it.

Adherents of the Peterborough Football Club used to come to Cambridge to fight with the advocates of the Cambridge Football Club in the days of long hair and flares and bovver boots. I don't know who won - are there really any winners in these situations? I have no hatred in my heart for them.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 22, 2018, 04:55:38 PM
I've stayed in the Travelodge twice, first time some rugby team the night before had pulled off half the door handles, the second time I saw some totally pissed lads fighting, rolling around on the floor outside on the road (it's next to "Angels" night club). The fight concluded by one of them managed to stand up, and pulled his opponent's tracksuit bottoms off by pulling at his legs.

My other favourite Peterborough thing was walking towards a woman pushing a pram in the early morning, and I was thinking "there's no way that has a baby in it" and yeah, it was a broken TV or something.

I once got put in the disabled room in leatherhead travelodge. I accidently hit the panic alarm moving my laptop around trying to get a WiFi signal.

Isnt Anything

tag - Sir Bufton-Tufton leaves thread disappointed

New Jack

This is on my To Visit list after Hereford but before Hull.

Sometimes I daydream about taking a tour of everywhere in the UK, but I end up talking myself out of it by sounding like Crap Towns

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: New Jack on June 22, 2018, 05:40:46 PM
This is on my To Visit list after Hereford but before Hull.

Sometimes I daydream about taking a tour of everywhere in the UK, but I end up talking myself out of it by sounding like Crap Towns

Bill Drummond once said everyone should drive from lands end to John o groats just to make sure it's there. Can't really disagree with that despite not actually doing it.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 22, 2018, 02:43:42 PM
Nah it's a mostly Fen accent mixed with a featureless (like the Fens themselves lolz) southern accent.

I'll give you Fens but not Southern. Let's not fall out over it though.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Peterborough is in the south.

holyzombiejesus

I thought Peterborough was horrible. We were only passing through to get a bus to Wisbech. Desolation.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 22, 2018, 06:55:26 PM
I thought Peterborough was horrible. We were only passing through to get a bus to Wisbech. Desolation.

Peterborough is sometimes called the gateway to the fens. The bleak, depressing countryside and inbred little towns of Kings Lynn, March, Wisbech et al are deserving of having such a shit place as their entry point.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

My Auntie Maureen lives  in Peterborough.

Back in the day, my Auntie Maureen looked like Lee Remick in her prime, and was fucking fit as  * fuck *.

Nowadays, she looks like the latterday Ulrikka Johnsson, with the whole lived- in skin thing. I still would, though.

Peterborough is one of the most depressing....what the fuck is it ? I mean, it's not actually a fucking city or anything, is it ?.... One of the most fucking depressing, like.....* things * in the world. I'm going to have to have
a  wank over my Auntie in her younger days just to take my mind off the fucking place.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 22, 2018, 07:20:10 PM
I'm going to have to have
a  wank over my Auntie in her younger days just to take my mind off the fucking place.

You can take the boy out of the fens...

Sebastian Cobb

idunnosomename

Peterborough has the cathedral (abbey) there really because it's on the last limestone outcrop before it turns into fenland. It was disputed territory between Mercia and East Anglia while the abbey of Meadhampstead was there.

It was sacked by the Danes in the initial 9thc Viking invasions and again by Herward the Wake with Danish allies in protest against the Norman occupation of England.

So if you have a problem with Peterborough, talk to Denmark

king_tubby

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 22, 2018, 07:24:02 PM

You can take the boy out of the fens...

I wonder what it's like to wank when you have an extra finger...

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Another thing in the city's favour is that the only busker I saw there was a lady rapper doing raps about video games and stuff and there was not one floppy haired acoustic guitar tithead to be seen.

Quote from: king_tubby on June 22, 2018, 08:05:13 PM
I wonder what it's like to wank when you have an extra finger...

The Fens: where men go to family reunions to meet girls.