Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:01:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Funny bits in serious songs

Started by georgetaylor, June 22, 2018, 04:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgetaylor

In the Queen song 'Now I'm here' he sings 'now I'm here' out of one speaker and then 'now I'm there' out of the other speaker.

I had another one but I forgot it.
Why not post the one that I have forgotten, or an example of musical humour of your own.

Sgt. Duckie

Did you forget Freddie singing 'fried chicken' at the end of One Vision?

purlieu

I never know whether David Tibet does it intentionally or not, but there are so many amusing lyrics in Current 93 songs. 'The God of Sleep Has His House' features the lyric 'there is no cock to crow the day', but he leaves a really, really long pause after cock. The final section of Hypnagogue, which is one of the most powerfully beautiful pieces of music I know, he completely kills the mood with 'I did not want the world to stop; and I have seen it rush past me
As a ferocious fury, but such angelic fury
And I was taking the temperature of a thousand changes of mind
I might take you now, but perhaps I shall wait till the postman comes for toast'

Which is just a totally inappropriately daft phrase.

georgetaylor

Now I remember, no not the fried chicken bit.

There a song called Get the Hook Up by SomeGuy, in which the refrain 'holler if you hear it' is replied to with a loud tuneless UUUURRRRR and is repeated every time in response, it sounds bizarrely awful and makes me laugh whenever I pop the disc on the turntable.

another Mr. Lizard

Lots of moments across the New Order catalogue. Possibly done as a means of trampling on the post-JD aura of fan reverence. My favourite New Order track of all is the b-side to 'Thieves Like Us', 'Lonesome Tonight' - a gorgeous, sombre, repetitive, reflective piece which Barney then attempts to destroy via what sounds like him hocking up a loogie towards the end.

Chairman Bodog

CAM ON, YOU CUNT! LESS AV SUM APHEX ACID

Serious as in seriously mental?

holyzombiejesus

That bit in Deacon Blue's godawful Dignity when he says "The children call him bogie".

Tikwid

Moonjock by Animal Collective: Avey Tare suddenly blurts out "WHAT?!?" to mark the start of the transition into the closing section, which I always laugh at.

studpuppet

The bit where Barney can't believe he wrote such drivel for the lyrics and cracks up in Every Little Counts, and then has the giggles the rest of the way through. Apparently one cut line was "Even though you're dead, I'll still sleep with you."

Epic Bisto

Quote from: purlieu on June 22, 2018, 04:43:24 PM
I never know whether David Tibet does it intentionally or not, but there are so many amusing lyrics in Current 93 songs.

"Funky Moped" is quite a serious song, and Tibet does his best to deliver the lyrics in his usual dramatic oratorial tone, but the music behind him is a bit too upbeat. Quite a departure.

Pauline Walnuts

A loaded gun won't set you free, perfect comic timing, so you say.

smudge1971

Does "I dahn't fink so" in Gonna Make You A Star count or is it not serious enough a song?

If not, then "I saw ya!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52cQeFBU2Kw

Natnar

That "Rodent-being-hit-by-something" noise that goes all through "Oops Up" by Snap.

buzby

Quote from: studpuppet on July 02, 2018, 12:01:06 AM
The bit where Barney can't believe he wrote such drivel for the lyrics and cracks up in Every Little Counts, and then has the giggles the rest of the way through. Apparently one cut line was "Even though you're dead, I'll still sleep with you."
Or his yelp at the start of the 12" version of Temptation, from Hooky running into the studio and putting a snowball down the neck of his shirt as he was about to start singing.

On the discarded lyrics front, the improvised first verse for the debut performance of what became The Perfect Kiss was
I've got a cock, it looks like the M1
It's long and thin, it's got a white line down it It curls about, it curls about
There's crashes on, and service stations too
Barney was quite fond of dropping cock-related ad-libs into live performances around that time. There's also the infamous Reading 93 performance (expected to be their last gig), broadcast on Radio 1, where he changed the second verse of True Faith to
When I was a very small boy, Michael Jackson played with me.
Now that we've grown up together, he's playing with my willy

Kane Jones

Bon Scott's "Shazbot nanu nanu" at the end of AC/DC's Night Prowler.

boki

The 'Boogaloo!' following the emotional crescendo in Silver Ginger 5's The Monkey Zoo is a welcome moment of levity in a song about depression and suicide.

Clownbaby

I can't listen to Roxy Music without smirking cause of Bryan Ferry's fabulous Dracula voice. "Now bi-lif in Jeeeeeeesuuuuuuuussss"

The incongruously wonderful heavy metal bit in the middle of Billy Idol's "Eyes Without A Face"

Hecate

The bit in that Nick Cave song where he starts singing about "sweet, hot cum"

Nick Cave and the Good Seed.

That completely unnecessary "piss off" at the end of Your Silent Face is another classic Sumner attempt to sabotage an otherwise beautiful pop song. He sounds so self conscious about it when he sings it too both on the album version and when he does it live too. I always replace it with a loudly sung "get lost" when the kids are in the car and it comes on.