Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doing A Crossword

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, June 23, 2018, 08:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Have you ever done a crossword, because you've been a bit bored or something ? Maybe you've thought to yourself " should I do a sudoku ? Nah, fuck that, I'll do a crossword instead. ". Maybe you've tried doing a cryptic crossword, then thought " Crikey, this is a bit difficult. ", and started doing a quick crossword instead.

Post your tales of doing a crossword here.

spamwangler

Oh for fuck's sake, what a complete fucking waste of space, time, flesh, blood and bone fucking Lisa Jesusandmarychain is. Fucking middle aged man fucking acting like that. Fucking state of it

Buelligan

Never go to sleep on a crossword, that's the only rule I think.

pancreas

I do a crossword. Gecko does a crossword too. Today will be Listener day for Gecko. He likes to spend many hour with Chambers looking up old Scots words for knickers etc. I don't go that far, myself. Fuck that.

Danger Man

Replies From View

No it's his dungeon.

He keeps his butler in there.

Dex Sawash

I like doing the Sunday NYT crossword, takes most of a week usually. Not arsed now because CaB distraction is too powerful. I still glance at it and see if I know more than about 10 of them right off but never do. My wife finishes them without reading the clues. There is something wrong with her.

Vodka Margarine

Used to regularly be able to complete the G2 quick crossword but then the clues started getting more general knowledge based, rather than something you could reasonably work out without googling. I enjoy a good Wordwheel and have become something of a Codeword ninja.

Glebe

Type of monkey (7 letters)

Replies From View

St_Eddie

Johnny Yesno

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Just did Quick crossword No 15,019 in 4 Min Fifty. Which is pish, to be fair. I'm out of practice, and by this time of day often frazzled and confused.

thenoise

Crosswords > Sudoku.  At least I can tell you to read me a clue or something if you are sitting their playing crosswords.  Sudoku I may as well leave the room.

the

[img ] ukgameshows dot com / images/ tomoconnor1.jpeg    [ /img[

Icehaven

I always do the Private Eye crossword (even though I barely read the magazine anymore), because I want to win the £100. It gets easier once you've been doing it for a while as they use the same shorthand and repeat answers a lot.

Norton Canes

I eschewed my i crossword today in favour of a football-based puzzle I chanced across on the Guardian website

England, Tunisia, Belgium and Panama make up Group G. Imagine that once they have all played each other the table looks like this:

FAPts
England719
Belgium334
Tunisia234
Panama160

If you know only that England beat Tunisia 3-0, can you deduce the score of every other match in the group?

The answer of course is 'yes' but I was pleased with the way I worked it out because in the solution the setter at one point tests an assumption of one game's score, while I did it by working out the amount of goals in each game and didn't need to make any guesses.

Cerys

Quote from: icehaven on June 28, 2018, 08:40:06 AM
I always do the Private Eye crossword (even though I barely read the magazine anymore), because I want to win the £100. It gets easier once you've been doing it for a while as they use the same shorthand and repeat answers a lot.

I do the Eye crossword while while sitting on the loo, but I rarely remember to send it in.

PowerButchi

Crosswords are for Quentins. Dingbats are the real deal.

Icehaven

Quote from: Cerys on June 28, 2018, 09:49:43 AM
I do the Eye crossword while while sitting on the loo, but I rarely remember to send it in.

I'm convinced the reason I've never won is because I send it as a PDF file and they're all so fusty and Hislopish that even though they've chosen to provide an email address as well as postal, opening a PDF is just a step too far, so I've recently started putting it in the body of the email instead, so hopefully I'll win the moolah soon.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Cerys on June 28, 2018, 09:49:43 AM
I do the Eye crossword while while sitting on the loo, but I rarely remember to send it in

Ew.

yesitsme

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 28, 2018, 09:46:20 AM
I eschewed my i crossword today in favour of a football-based puzzle I chanced across on the Guardian website

England, Tunisia, Belgium and Panama make up Group G. Imagine that once they have all played each other the table looks like this:

FAPts
England719
Belgium334
Tunisia234
Panama160

If you know only that England beat Tunisia 3-0, can you deduce the score of every other match in the group?

The answer of course is 'yes' but I was pleased with the way I worked it out because in the solution the setter at one point tests an assumption of one game's score, while I did it by working out the amount of goals in each game and didn't need to make any guesses.

That's everything that's wrong with Crosswords/Sukudo/Puzzles/Life in General and their ilk.  it's just a big self-back-patting-exercise.  If you know the answer to Liam Can play for this Italian side then you know it.  Why write it down unless it's for everyone else to see and think how clever am you.

Gertcha.

Genuine clue in the Mirror Tea Break Quickie once.

Woof Woof! Not God, we hear (3).

Now that's genius!

edit - I'm not against you doing brain teasers per se.  I quite like having a bash at the kids' maths/language homework and the puzzle above wasn't made to be filled in a paper and left open at that page on a table when you left.

Perhaps that was the wrong example to pick on and I apologise.

Crosswords and Sukuodos though?  They can get tae.

Neville Chamberlain

I've graduated from sudokus to bukkakes!

Norton Canes

Quote from: yesitsme on June 28, 2018, 12:47:14 PM
Perhaps that was the wrong example to pick on and I apologise

No that's OK, I just got a bit carried away cos I did a maths 

Depressed Beyond Tables

When Sudokus are too easy, and don't require enough lateral thinking, you may as well be doing an accountancy apprenticeship.

willpurry

Quote from: icehaven on June 28, 2018, 11:51:10 AM
I'm convinced the reason I've never won is because I send it as a PDF file and they're all so fusty and Hislopish that even though they've chosen to provide an email address as well as postal, opening a PDF is just a step too far, so I've recently started putting it in the body of the email instead, so hopefully I'll win the moolah soon.

To be sent by carriage and with a waxen seal, if you please.

littlenell

My mum in law taught me how to do cryptic crosswords on a Greek beach one afternoon five years ago.

I do them regularly, the Times is the easiest/best and makes you feel smug.

Replies From View

It is rubbish (8 letters)

Answer:  FOOTBALL

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: littlenell on June 28, 2018, 09:11:57 PM
My mum in law taught me how to do cryptic crosswords on a Greek beach one afternoon five years ago.

I do them regularly, the Times is the easiest/best and makes you feel smug.

My gran was the only one who did cryptics in my family, until she taught me how they work. Now I'm the only one.

It gives me a similar smug feeling to solving a lateral thinking puzzle or adventure game.