Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Vinnie Paul

Started by Noodle Lizard, June 23, 2018, 10:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Seems appropriate.  Not exactly a musician I respected in and of himself, but as if Pantera didn't have some kind of impact on anyone who discovered heavy metal post-90s.

magval

He was.

I've only just started seeing beyond the macho bullshit and bad-fans-image of Pantera the past months and have been working my way through their catalogue backwards, and I've discovered how good they actually were. He produced their albums too, so he's responsible for some unbelievably memorable sounding guitar and drum parts.

First thing I did this morning before I even came on here was try to play that famously tricky foot pedal thing from Becoming that he does. Sounded awful, and my wife shouts out "Vinnie Paul's dead". Thought it was some sort of comment on my butchery of his technique.

Love his drumming and he always seemed like a lovely big fat dude. Wee bit sad on this one.

Noodle Lizard

They're great.  The albums are often front-loaded, but anything from Cowboys From Hell to The Great Southern Trendkill is worth anyone's time.  Dimebag's guitar alone sets them high above many of the similar bands that appeared in their wake.

Uncle TechTip

I can only agree, as a long-departed teenage fan. Thanks Vince.

Glebe

Oh fuck. RIP. He's prolly jamming away with Dimebag right now in rock 'n' roll heaven.

Kane Jones

Tight as fuck drummer. Love the clicky sound of the kick drums on Vulgar Display Of Power. Sad news. Why couldn't it have been Phil Anselmo?

kngen

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 23, 2018, 02:03:12 PM
Why couldn't it have been Phil Anselmo?

A question asked whenever anyone dies, not just members of Pantera.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: magval on June 23, 2018, 11:09:47 AM
Sounded awful, and my wife shouts out "Vinnie Paul's dead".

Quite the fitting obituary. And actually something of a relief after the nightmare I'd just had about Stevie Wonder carking it.

doppelkorn

I loved Pantera at one point. Walk was always a tune, but CfH and VDoP are class from start to finish.

Shaky

I never really gave Pantera the time of day back when I listened solely to metal so now seems a good time to rectify that.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 23, 2018, 02:03:12 PM
Tight as fuck drummer. Love the clicky sound of the kick drums on Vulgar Display Of Power. Sad news. Why couldn't it have been Phil Anselmo?

I'm a pretty staunch Anselmo defender, although he makes it very difficult sometimes.  But he's the only Pantera member who had a music career worth anything after (with Rex Brown occasionally along for the ride), and is consistently up to something.  I liked Down back in the day and his new black metal project, Scour, is really decent.  His label consistently hosts some pretty good bands (Soilent Green are incredible), really knows his onions about horror films (I believe he was the one to pitch the idea of Goblin live-scoring Suspiria for his film festival, which later went on tour) and is by all accounts an incredibly nice guy.  A friend of mine was introduced to him while he was on tour and they got talking about obscure black metal and Phil invited him up to his hotel room and spent the next five hours just playing him all this stuff and enthusing like fuck.  Shame he often makes an arse of himself publicly.