Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:05:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I want to watch HEVC encoded videos on a shit TV

Started by hedgehog90, June 23, 2018, 11:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 which runs Kodi but it can't handle the HEVC (hasn't got a capable h/w decoder) and it overheats all the the time anyway, it's useless.
I need a device that can plug into my tv, play files from a usb stick and can play 1080p h265 files @ 30fps smoothly and faultlessly.
Also I wouldn't mind a proper netflix app, but that's secondary. I know there's an addon for Kodi but it's never worked when I've tried it.
Spending limit £50.
Any ideas?

I came across a range of very similarly specced Chinese manufactured TV Boxes running Kodi that look pretty decent for the price (<£30) but I'm quite suspicious of cheap Chinese electronics:

https://www.banggood.com/X96-MINI-Amlogic-S905W-2GB-RAM-16GB-ROM-TV-Box-p-1189237.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=zouzou&utm_campaign=pla-uk-elc2-brand-pc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvLLZBRDrARIsADU6ojDoMNvh-BTJEae9ge0jXUQNTFDhE74lpRn5_88yAvWmJZLLQBHykscaAuBbEALw_wcB&ID=43103&cur_warehouse=CN

Glebe

[tag]Tarantino takes retro thing "too far."[/tag]

hedgehog90

I bought it in the end for £26 on eBay, but you can get another model with 1gb (still plenty for video) for £17.
Comes with Kodi and Netflix preinstalled.
Crazy cheap package for a 2ghz quad core processor, capable GPU, 16gb storage, 2gb ram, dualband WiFi, Bluetooth & remote control.
Apparently it outputs 720p instead of 1080p but a quick firmware install should fix that.