Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worried about having accidentllay broken the law

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 23, 2018, 11:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I am very worried as I tried to scan a £3 off nectar card voucher at the self service till yesterday that I thought was in date, when the staff member came over to have a look she said "well the 22nd is today so it should work" as she was about to override it I noticed it said "by the 22nd" and wasn't sure if this meant I couldn't use it on the 22nd but she seemed to think it was fine and put it through. If the staff member said it was ok, does that mean it is ok? Or does it mean I will be prosecuted and taken to court and lose my job? I had spent the qualifying amount to get the discount but hadn't looked at the date closely before the staff member mentioned it.

It's how you interpret "Use by" I suppose but I don't want to get a criminal record or lose my job. I don't want this getting in the paper. I didn't intend to defraud the supermarket but when the staff member seemed to think it was ok I should have said something and stopped her, I did mentioned it said "by the 22nd" so queried with her if it was still valid.

Fambo Number Mive

Wondering if I should ring Sainsburys and ask them what I should do. Don't want to get the staff member in trouble though. Surely if they are supervising the self service checkouts they should know the terms and conditions of £3 off when you spend £30 vouchers? I spent £34.

gmoney

I can't work out if this is serious or not, but on the off chance that it's not a parody of something, no you won't be arrested and you haven't broken the law.

It wouldn't have worked if it weren't kosher. They're not exactly known for their generosity, the supermarket lads. Nobody is going to lose their job. You asked and were given an answer which you followed. You're totally legally in the clear. The staff member won't face any consequences at all. If you they didn't want you to apply your nectar card discount, the system would have prevented it. Trust me, I know how supermarkets work because my wife inherited some land we sold to a supermarket and we subsequently became very good friends with the supermarket manager and his wife.

Danger Man

That very supermarket, yesterday.

RRR

As for the OP. Fucking hell

Fambo Number Mive

It's not a parody, no. The self service till said no initally ( although it has rejected vouchers for being too crumpled so I'm not sure how reliable it is) and the staff member overrode it having looked at the front of the voucher. I can't prove what was said as it's my word against the staff member.

doppelkorn

You are 100% fine. You've not broken any law, don't worry. "By the 22nd" means you can also use it on the 22nd. Source: my sister works in Lidl.

gmoney

Even if it was out of date, and you doctored it, this is a crime that no longer carries a custodial sentence.

imitationleather

Quote from: gmoney on June 23, 2018, 12:25:23 PM
Even if it was out of date, and you doctored it, this is a crime that no longer carries a custodial sentence.

It should do, though. I'd pull the lever myself.

thraxx

Agents to this location with a Meat Wagon. We've got a code 293 violation, over.

Cuntbeaks

£3?

£3 fucking pound?

It's hardly Hatton Gardens is it.

What were you buying anyway, a big girls blouse?

Man up you fucking worm.

mobias

Its quite difficult to not break the law sometimes. I was just out for a cycle this morning and cycled straight over a pelican crossing without really seeing it. I was in a little world of my own and didn't notice it or the man crossing. He stopped and swore at me, which he was within his rights to do. I'm usually quite a conscientious cyclist, I stop at red lights and try and obey the highway code as much as possible. I felt quite guilty afterwards. Most people just don't give a fuck but I don't think I'm one of them.

Funcrusher

Chill Fambo. I was putting shopping through the self scan when I got the 'place item in bagging area' message, so I chucked a CD that was worth £9 into the bagging area and it registered as the previous item, so I got a £9 CD for free. I remain at large at the time of posting.

ETA. If it makes you feel any better Fambers, I am still a bit paranoid when returning to the scene of my recent crime. Maybe when the statute of limitations expires...

thraxx

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 23, 2018, 12:37:25 PM
Chill Fambo. I was putting shopping through the self scan when I got the 'place item in bagging area' message, so I chucked a CD that was worth £9 into the bagging area and it registered as the previous item, so I got a £9 CD for free. I remain at large at the time of posting.

Additional agents required control. Additional code 112 occured at prior reported location.

Funcrusher

You should get at least six months for the typo in the thread title.

idunnosomename

Sounds like one for The Hague this. An atrocity off the charts. The world weeps a collective tear for the enormity of your crime.

MoonDust

This thread has really put the level of my anxiety attacks in perspective.

pancreas

I reckon some mob justice. What's the most painful way to die?

shiftwork2

Don't take this the wrong way Fambo but I haven't laughed quite so much in a long time.  You are public enemy number 62,871.

Replies From View

I'm glad I didn't respond now, as I assumed it was a joke post and I'm forever pissing people off when I do that.

A couple of months ago I walked into Sainsbury's, grabbed a bottle of Ecover laundry washing liquid, and walked straight out.  I didn't even realise what I'd done until I was in the laundrette using it.  In my defence I was in the window between 6.20 and 6.30 so had no time to lose, and wasn't thinking straight.  Only time I have ever done such a thing but I'm quite glad it was so easy and nothing became of it.

Take care Fambo; you are a good lad.

spamwangler

Hey fambo, feels like you've not been around for a bit nice to see you

Paul Calf

My mate's brother scanned a voucher that was out of date. Thought he'd got away with it too, but one night he got a visit from serious crimes.  They came at 4am. They always do. He'd been out the night before and the beams from the raiding party torches speared into his skull, springing rivers of pain from behind his eyelids. "OUT! OUT! GET UP!" bellowed the senior arresting officer and he stumbled blindly to his feet.

He didn't stay there for long. A truncheon crunched into his solar plexus and he fell to the ground, gasping for air. A boot met his head and he lost consciousness.

He came to in a cell with the help of a bucket of iced water. They asked him if he thought he'd get away with it, wondered out loud what would happen to a young boy voucher-nonce with a pretty face in The Scrubs, Wakefield, even Rampton. After 24 hours of harsh interrogation, they let him go and he went straight home and wondered how his life got flipped-turned upside down and he took a minute just  to sit right there and tell you how he became the prince of a town called Bel Air.

St_Eddie

Imagine being worried about this and actually thinking that you may be arrested and lose your job for potenitally using a discount one day past its 'use by' date!  Fambo Number Mive would have a full on heart attack if he/she were to do what I did last month; shopping at a supermarket whilst drunk, scanned all of my items through the self-service checkout, pressed the screen to receive the total amount due (around £30), packed the items into bags and left.  When I got home, I reliased that I had forgotten to actually put any money into the machine.

I worried about that for a week or so, until I cautiously walked back into the same supermarket, half expecting to be told that I was banned.  No-one said nowt.  The perfect (accidental) crime.

Danger Man

Might as well come clean.

I didn't spend a year in Saudi Arabia. I actually spent a year in prison for writing FIRST CLASS on an envelope while using a second class stamp.

Glebe

[tag]Donald Trump: It's okay, I'm president, I'll get away with it![/tag]

thraxx

I once accidentally boiled some tomato soup and impaired its flavour, in direct contravention of the advice on the tin. Since that day I have never slept in the same place twice, on the run and living in fear that I will be taken by the police, tortured and sent to a work camp. The worst thing is that I don't even like soup.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thraxx on June 23, 2018, 02:15:00 PM
The worst thing is that I don't even like soup.

I'm not surprised if you going around, boiling it and impairing its flavour, you fucking maniac!

Buelligan

I'm sorry you felt anxious about this Fambo but it was a waste of time I'm afraid.  The righteous people of the Earth are mobbing up with pitchforks and torches as soon as Sainsbury's open and coming to yours.  Prepare to be chastised just after tea.

Johnny Yesno

'By the 22nd' means 'by the end of 22nd', you silly arse.

'Accidentllay', though. Hanging's too good for you.