Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worried about having accidentllay broken the law

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 23, 2018, 11:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 23, 2018, 03:13:38 PM
'By the 22nd' means 'by the end of 22nd', you silly arse.

'Accidentllay', though. Hanging's too good for you.

If I had my way people who don't read the whole thread they're posting in in minute detail would be burnt at the stake and then sent home and all.  Or just have a stolen torch shone in their eyes repeatedly.

Cuellar

I have alerted the police. Had I not, I would have wilfully failed to act on knowledge of a crime and I'd be sharing a cell with you. Sorry, no choice mate!

I haven't really

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on June 23, 2018, 03:15:19 PM
If I had my way people who don't read the whole thread they're posting in in minute detail would be burnt at the stake and then sent home and all.  Or just have a stolen torch shone in their eyes repeatedly.

Six months imprisonment didn't seem harsh enough to me.

Isnt Anything

when i used to shop in sainsbury i often ended up using those vouchers on their last day. its absolutely fine, the wording means 'by the end of' although i agree it would be nice for the neurotics amongst us if it said that as it worried me too at first, if not to such an extent as you.

it probably didnt scan for some other tedious reason.

even if it was invalid (which it isnt) the till logs will have a record that the staff member put it through so it would be her that got in trouble not you. (although she probably still wouldnt as ive seen supervisors cheerfully accept vouchers for things that strictly speaking are outside the right category just to keep you happy)

even if somehow you had defrauded them (which you havent) there is no way on earth they would prosecute you unless it was serious repeated ongoing voucher abuse. far better to keep you as a regular paying customer and continue to fleece you that way instead.

Ironically though one of the reasons i stopped shopping there was precisely cos i was fed up with all the voucher bollocks stressing me out. not in a legally scared way like you but in a 'oh fuck i have to hit £20 / £40 / £60 / £80 in one go before such-and-such a date and is that actually worth it and would i be buying that much stuff anyway otherwise theres no point and dont forget 150 points if you buy THIS which i DO buy and 350 points if you buy THAT which i MIGHT buy and have to get them done by a DIFFERENT date and if i hang on a few shops i might get a double points voucher which used to multiply up those bonuses too although im not sure it does any more and ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH' kind of way.

so now i just go in there once a month to stock up on a couple of their own-brand items that ive got addicted to and cant get anywhere else and save the money by going to aldi, iceland and tesco instead. perhaps you should do the same.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: monolith on June 23, 2018, 01:47:52 PM
As if this isn't a joke.

I would say 'you must be new here' but youre not so i wont. :)

Quote from: MoonDust on June 23, 2018, 12:45:07 PMThis thread has really put the level of my anxiety attacks in perspective.

Yeah this. Sorry, Fambo.

Im quite possibly going to have a major one later today when i have to go somewhere and open three weeks worth of post some of which could be intensely shitty so please forgive me when its my turn but if its any consolation your post might help me get through it.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 23, 2018, 03:17:55 PM
Ironically though one of the reasons i stopped shopping there was precisely cos i was fed up with all the voucher bollocks stressing me out. not in a legally scared way like you but in a 'oh fuck i have to hit £20 / £40 / £60 / £80 in one go before such-and-such a date and is that actually worth it and would i be buying that much stuff anyway otherwise theres no point and dont forget 150 points if you buy THIS which i DO buy and 350 points if you buy THAT which i MIGHT buy and have to get them done by a DIFFERENT date and if i hang on a few shops i might get a double points voucher which used to multiply up those bonuses too although im not sure it does any more and ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH' kind of way.

Totally agree, who has the time to size these offers up and participate in a complex shopping experience to net a quid - and you know they're just teasing at least that out of you in extra spending.  I do like how the vouchers come out like a string of sausages though, and I do like saying 'oooh, it's like a string of sausages' to the assistant and we both laugh!

Buelligan

The great thing about breaking the law, accidentally or otherwise, is that you get to hear the little mice sing.

TBH, I believe this lies behind criminal recidivism to a frightening degree.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on June 23, 2018, 03:36:55 PM
The great thing about breaking the law, accidentally or otherwise, is that you get to hear the little mice sing.

I've never heard Rob Halford called that before.

Buelligan

That really was an abysmal song, no offence Judas Priest fans but it was.

manticore

I mean seriously, why haven't we adopted the sensible American wording of eg 'The 1st through the fourth'. Removes all the ambiguity and would ease the suffering in cases like this no end.

canadagoose

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2018, 12:13:39 PM
It's not a parody, no. The self service till said no initally ( although it has rejected vouchers for being too crumpled so I'm not sure how reliable it is) and the staff member overrode it having looked at the front of the voucher. I can't prove what was said as it's my word against the staff member.
Self-service machines are thick as shit. I wouldn't read anything into the machine's refusal to take it.

(Oh, and no, you're not a criminal. Even if you were - which you're definitely not! -  Sainsbury's deciding to prosecute a customer over £3 would be utter stupidity from a PR point of view.)

Pranet

I've walked out without paying after using a self service machine at least three times. Accidentally.

I did go back and pay each time though. One time I was halfway home and someone on a moped pulled up beside me and said "Sainsburys want to speak to you. They think you've stolen something".

Fambo Number Mive

Thanks everyone, it's much appreciated. You are all brilliant.

pancreas

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2018, 09:24:50 PM
Thanks everyone, it's much appreciated. You are all brilliant.

Next time, before you post something like this, ask yourself: have I tried pulling myself together? If the answer to that question is 'no', then you should first try pulling yourself together.

Replies From View

Be nice to Fambo.  We all have our moments.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 23, 2018, 09:57:16 PM
Be nice to Fambo.  We all have our moments.

Tell me about it.  I once found a 1 penny piece on the pavement.  I pocketed it instead of taking it to the Police Station.  For years afterwards, every time that I heard a distant siren, I'd literally shit my pants with fear.  I think that I got away with it thoug....  sorry, must dash, there's a loud banging at the door.

Sebastian Cobb

I just did a honking shite in what turned out to be the ladies toilet. I know this because walking out of it a woman said 'that's the girls' and I said 'oh shit, I didn't realise'.

Hope I'm not arrested for being a sex criminal.

Paul Calf

Even worse is when you dash in in a brown panic, crash into the cubicle, whip down the winners and let go only to realise, when the mist clears, that you didn't see any urinals and are in fact trapped in the ladies' lavatory.

According to...er...a friend.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 23, 2018, 11:33:35 PM
Even worse is when you dash in in a brown panic, crash into the cubicle, whip down the winners and let go only to realise, when the mist clears, that you didn't see any urinals and are in fact trapped in the ladies' lavatory.

Even worse is when you dash in, in a brown panic, crash into the cubicle, whip down the winners and let go only to realise, when the mist clears, that you've failed to realise that the cubicle was already occupied and that you're presently sat on a strangers lap and that stranger is not only now covered in your shit but is also a woman because you're in the ladies.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Fambo, after the last CaB meet I went and bought a beear and some pringles from Sainsbursy on Mill Road and for the next 2 days I was worried that I'd walked out without paying and at that I'd be nicked for shop lifting and that. I'd already accidentally walked out of Sainsbos with a big cart of shopping forgetting that I hadn't paid for it (see this thread) But guess what? Nobody gave a shite cause it's only the working class scrotes they go after, and honestly if you did steal from them nobody would give a shite cause who in the world is all "SAISBURYS IS A BEAUTIFUL BRITISH INSISUTUTION AND HANG EVERYONE FROM THE NECK WHO DISAGREES"? Twats, that's who. Easily egnorable twats. If it was a accident, the shop will understand, the courts will understand, even the baying sweaty mob will understand. I do too cause I'm an anxiety ridden wreck like you so just chill out. Have a drink cause it's saturday night mother fuckers and go to bed. You'll be OK.

New Jack

We've got him, boys, the eagle has landed

SWARM SWARM SWARM

steveh

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2018, 11:53:34 AM
I am very worried as I tried to scan a £3 off nectar card voucher at the self service till yesterday that I thought was in date, when the staff member came over to have a look she said "well the 22nd is today so it should work" as she was about to override it I noticed it said "by the 22nd" and wasn't sure if this meant I couldn't use it on the 22nd but she seemed to think it was fine and put it through.

If you didn't use it by the expiry date then they would almost certainly reissue it anyway later with exactly the same barcode.

Outside of offers paid for by manufacturers, they assign you a budget for coupons based on your average spend and if you don't use it on one thing they'll usually give it to you in the same or a different form later.

cptspalding

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: doppelkorn on June 23, 2018, 12:16:33 PM
You are 100% fine. You've not broken any law, don't worry. "By the 22nd" means you can also use it on the 22nd. Source: my sister works in Lidl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0kbA5LG5GM

Buelligan

I like that song, Rocking Horse by the group The Dead Weather.  This thread made me think about the bit I love the best in that song, when Jack White sings Then I wrote a nasty letter, And I sent it to the Law, I said don't you dare come, And bother me no more...

I've loved that song for years because of that bit and every time I do or think of doing something even a bit illegal, I hum it  to myself and it cheers me up tremendously. 

Anyway, I thought I'd look up the lyrics just now so's I could sing it in full and feel really good and you know what?  It doesn't even fucking say Law, it says Lord.  Everything's completely fucked now.  I don't know if I'm going to have to keep singing the wrong word or what.  Absolutely pointless.  Thanks Fambo.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2018, 11:17:51 PM
I just did a honking shite in what turned out to be the ladies toilet. I know this because walking out of it a woman said 'that's the girls' and I said 'oh shit, I didn't realise'.

You should have said 'Nah, it was me. I'd leave it ten minutes, if I was you.'

monolith

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 23, 2018, 03:24:54 PM
I would say 'you must be new here' but youre not so i wont. :)

Yeah but I can be an absolute fucking idiot. There's a Lynx shower gel that says it is a 6 in 1 as it cleans left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, body and face. I didn't realise it was a joke until complaining to a friend about misleading marketing on my shower gel.