Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moments you (or friends of yours) cheated in exams

Started by The Lurker, June 23, 2018, 01:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isnt Anything

Quote from: finnquark on June 24, 2018, 08:35:41 PM
Yeah, I really love giving students a U and messing up their uni/job applications due to plagiarism.

tbf he was talking about younger children

Ian Drunken Smurf

I had Gin and Tonic pre-mixed in my water bottles for all my finals at uni. Served me very well in 15 out of 16 exams.

I got accused of cheating by a GCSE drama teacher after I submitted a review of a play (coursework assignment). It was a play of The Hobbit that we had all been taken to see. The sentence that made him think it was too good to be written by me was something like "you'll love it, even if you don't know your elves from your dragons..." But that "if you don't know your X from your Y" sentence construction is as old as time itself. He just looked at me, stoney faced, and said "Where did you copy the review from thecuriousorange?" I was actually flattered he thought it was good enough to be a professional review, while simultaneously offended he thought I wasn't capable of that and, on a further level, judgemental of the teacher for being wowed by such a hoary old chestnut.

Jockice

Quote from: Isnt Anything on June 25, 2018, 04:24:30 AM
tbf he was talking about younger children

And we didn't have the internet in the 70s and 80s either, so it wasn't that easy to check, unless you'd copied something directly out of a book. The second time was in a history lesson with one of my mates. The teacher read it out, said something like: "Very impressive work by Brendan ******* there,'' and then proceeded to reveal where it actually originated from. She seemed to enjoy it.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 23, 2018, 02:02:46 PM
Not cheating exactly but in my A-Level English exam I wrote a story which stole characters from various comics, including Neil Gaiman's Death and Alan Moore's V, and I can only presume the person who marked it hadn't read a comic in their life as I got an A for it

The composition piece in my English language O-level was ripped off almost word-for-word from an Alan Moore Future Shock. Got an A too!

The Lurker

In year 9, we had to write some short story in English. Some lass casually asked our teacher if he'd ever read Memoirs of a Geisha - he hadn't so she rehashed it for her short story. The absolute gall of it. Doing research and then shamelessly rewriting someone else's story, I don't know what ever became of her but if she isn't working for the MailOnline then she's missed her calling. Actually, no, she did some research, so maybe not the MailOnline but a slightly less shit equilavent.

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on June 23, 2018, 01:58:12 PM
When I did my French oral exam the examiner - who was also deputy head of the school - very clearly had the correct answer script on view for me to read and just repeat. Having not done any revision and being unable to speak any French at all, even after four years of learning it (something she was all too aware of, hence her creating this cheating opportunity for me), this was very welcome.

This is more my school cheating than me though, isn't it?

Exactly the same thing in my GCSE German oral exam, the teacher actually pointed to a bit of paper on the table between us that had my responses on.

Similarly for the composition element of GCSE music coursework we all had to write a piece of music. We were supposed to be allowed to write a piece for any instrument we wanted but the music teachers said string quartets got the highest grades so that's what we had to write, no choice. I've never played a violin, viola, cello or whatever the hell the other instrument is in my life so literally just wrote what must have been a load of musical gobbledegook at the last minute and handed it in and hoped for the best. The pieces were then recorded by an actual string quartet and sent off along with the score to be graded, and we had the chance to listen to the recordings in class afterwards. I don't know who wrote whatever they were playing when it came to ''my'' piece, but it sure as shit wasn't me, and I can't imagine the score I wrote ever made it out of my teacher's office either.

My school was absolutely results focussed though and I wasn't carrying on either of those subjects for A level so maybe they just thought it didn't matter. Which in the long run, it didn't.