Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:47:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saturday night go to Tesco Extra and look for harissa

Started by canadagoose, June 23, 2018, 08:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Quote from: king_tubby on June 18, 2018, 02:11:57 PM
Gonna fuck those harissa bastards right up, Daz. Fuck 'em right up.

Harissa? Wassat?

Well, Darfield, harissa is a Maghrebi hot chilli pepper paste, the main ingredients of which are roasted red peppers, Baklouti (بقلوطي) pepper, serrano peppers, and other hot chilli peppers, spices and herbs such as garlic paste, coriander seed, saffron, rose, or caraway, as well as some vegetable or olive oil for preservation. It is most closely associated with Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, and Morocco and Syria. Harissa is sometimes described as "Tunisia's main condiment", even "the national condiment of Tunisia", or at least as "the hallmark of Tunisia's fish and meat dishes". In Tunisia, harissa is used as an ingredient in a meat (poultry, beef, goat or lamb) or fish stew with vegetables, and as a flavouring for couscous. It is also used for lablabi, a chickpea soup usually eaten for breakfast.

Can't you just say 'camel fuckers' next time, Legend?
I'd forgotten how much I missed that spicy paste, so I'm going to go and find some. What else should I get? All suggestions welcome but will ultimately be ignored. Thanks.

Glebe

I've never heard of it, but you can get it in Poundstretcher for £2.99 a pop.

canadagoose

Quote from: Glebe on June 23, 2018, 08:26:34 PM
I've never heard of it, but you can get it in Poundstretcher for £2.99 a pop.
I'll bet you can, even in our extra-special Poundstretcher + Post Office (Poststretcher?) we have here:

I heard you can buy items of mail for £2.99 each too.

Twit 2

Make your own, cheaper and tastier. Yolatengo Otterlengthy's recipe from 'Jerusalem' is the best one I've made.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

canadagoose

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One of the things about harissa, unless you are within proximity to a Waitrose (or a Harissa shop), you'll never visit a shop absolutely certain they will have it.

canadagoose

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 23, 2018, 10:30:33 PM
One of the things about harissa, unless you are within proximity to a Waitrose (or a Harissa shop), you'll never visit a shop absolutely certain they will have it.

Waitrose have it? I'm not particularly near one (an hour away by bus to the nearest), but I might make a trip for it. It's worth it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

San Pellegrino Blood

EDIT: sorry, that should read 'blood orange'

EDIT 2: disregard that, correct first time

canadagoose

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 23, 2018, 11:04:33 PM
San Pellegrino Blood

EDIT: sorry, that should read 'blood orange'

EDIT 2: disregard that, correct first time
Full of sugar . Makes me all tired and have sore joints and that, 'cos hyperglycaemia.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: canadagoose on June 23, 2018, 11:59:16 PM
Full of sugar . Makes me all tired and have sore joints and that, 'cos hyperglycaemia.

Fair dos. In that case, dunno. Only been to one Tescos Extra (Bar Hill), that had a Holland and Barrett, so if yours does you could get some nuts or cod liver shit.

Glebe

Quote from: canadagoose on June 23, 2018, 08:32:21 PMI'll bet you can, even in our extra-special Poundstretcher + Post Office (Poststretcher?) we have here:

Stoneage Dinosaurs

FUN FACT: The largest Tescos Extra is in Walkden in Salford. Anyone in the greater Mancgester area is free to go there, I will be going there in about a month but anyone else is free to give it a shot.

Ferris

willpurry

I thought a pound stretcher was a dog that did yoga.

buttgammon

Larger branches of Tesco should have it; the average-sized one here sells Harissa in the aisle that bungs all of the random 'ethnic' cuisines together, so it's next to oyster sauce, popadoms, sriracha etc.

canadagoose

Quote from: Glebe on June 24, 2018, 01:54:40 AM

The macaques were there! Must have missed them.

Quote from: buttgammonLarger branches of Tesco should have it; the average-sized one here sells Harissa in the aisle that bungs all of the random 'ethnic' cuisines together, so it's next to oyster sauce, popadoms, sriracha etc.
I swear, I looked all along the World Foods aisle and couldn't see it anywhere. Mustn't be that much demand for it here.

Ferris, please feel free to share your recipe!

Glebe

Quote from: canadagoose on June 24, 2018, 02:08:15 PMThe macaques were there! Must have missed them.

Many do. But to be fair, they mainly hang out around a Poundworld in Staines these days.

buttgammon

Quote from: canadagoose on June 24, 2018, 02:08:15 PM
I swear, I looked all along the World Foods aisle and couldn't see it anywhere. Mustn't be that much demand for it here.

Oh dear! That's a very disappointing Tesco, although maybe my local branch is more cosmopolitan than I realised.

spamwangler

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 24, 2018, 02:20:16 AM
FUN FACT: The largest Tescos Extra is in Walkden in Salford. Anyone in the greater Mancgester area is free to go there, I will be going there in about a month but anyone else is free to give it a shot.

just started working down salford way, am thrilled to hear this

Dr Rock

Gregory Torso

Tesco is where I grew up. Tesco was my church, my school and my training ground. I fought in Tesco. I grew tall in Tesco. I mastered wild skills in the donut aisle and built an altar out of palettes for the angels to fuck me on. Although now I am little more than a fat heart inside a pile of mistake meat, Tesco is within me still, a river of diamonds flooding the desert of my soul.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 25, 2018, 06:56:39 AM
Tesco is where I grew up. Tesco was my church, my school and my training ground. I fought in Tesco. I grew tall in Tesco. I mastered wild skills in the donut aisle and built an altar out of palettes for the angels to fuck me on. Although now I am little more than a fat heart inside a pile of mistake meat, Tesco is within me still, a river of diamonds flooding the desert of my soul.

Karma for that.

Also, save money on expensive Harissa paste by simply mixing tomato puree with some crushed up "Nice 'n' Spicy" Nik-Naks.

Ferris

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 25, 2018, 09:13:38 AM
Also, save money on expensive Harissa paste by simply mixing tomato puree with some crushed up "Nice 'n' Spicy" Nik-Naks.

Will send to Viz immediately.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 24, 2018, 02:20:16 AM

Hi just an update to say that I have now been there. It doesn't have much more stuff than the average tesco extra, save for lots of more crisps and sweets, but it is cunting huge. And it makes up half of a shopping centre and has a slope-y escalator to get there and a voiceover lady telling you not to go up it if you can't push your trolley along it. They also have an ENTIRE AISLE JUST FOR VIMTO

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 25, 2018, 06:56:39 AM

Quality